Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Updates? icon gone missing
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
I've noticed that the updates icon at the top of the workspace, to the right of the preferences wheel, has gone missing. I re-installed all the components (double click the exefile, asked if I want to uninstall first, OK, chose the same locations as original install; progressively for all of the parts) but it's still missing.

Any suggestions about how I get the updates icon (a bell in a blue circle) back???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2020 07:38

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Mine's still there. Right to the right of my preferences cog.

Are you by any chance using version 18 or version 365? That might make a difference.

Also, go to the program's preferences (by clicking on the cog) and on the General page and check Automatically Check for Updates. That may or may not make a difference, but if you're looking the latest, that will ensure you're aware it's available.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Steven,
I'm using PD18 Ultimate - bought/installed about 6 weeks ago (late June). It's custom-installed on a separate drive to C: - all of it except the proDad plugins which are on C.

Everything was rosy until yesterday: I'd also used the update icon several times to check status. But last week I was (carefully, I thought) cleaning up a heap of years old removed program references that I found were still in the registry, searched for by name. That name is not remotely like Power Director, but it seems there were unexpected side effects. When I went to start PD18 last nite, the splash screen to start did not appear, instead an error message. So I reinstalled the main program keeping all the personal settings, and it then started OK, and it ran the last project I had worked on without any apparent issues. Then I noticed the absence of the update icon: so I re-installed all the other packages thinking that maty fix it. It didn't - then I posted here.

The auto check for updates box was/is ticked, but the icon is not there.

I have:

• a registry copy of the state it was on 12 Aug before I started on it; and

• a not-quite 3 week old backup of the entire C: partition available - that doesn't include the custom installation but would include the registry as it was.

Would it be better to recover using either of these, or just keep using PD18 as is??
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I would make a backup copy of your current registry, then restore the copy you have from Aug 12. You may want to reinstall PD and the additional packages if things still aren't working correctly with the restored registry.

If that still doesn't work, go ahead and restore the system image for your C: drive and you should be good to go - although you may need to reinstall PD to your other drive again if anything's changed with how it's currently installed vs. when you originally installed it (which is what your restored C: drive + registry are expecting).
Davidk101
[Post New]
Using regedit to import the saved registry file got almost to the end - and then an error message . .
Moving right along - straight to recover C using a bootable Acronis true Image disk and the backup file mentioned. 8 minutes, and C is back to where it was on 1 aug.
re-boot.
Some admin updates - like the patch tuesday ones - underway, let them finish. Start PD18 several times - worked fine. I did note that the updates icon did not appear until the past project content began to appear; a very noticeable time lag there, but the icon did appear.
As a passing comment, I would have thought that re-installing the main file would do this, especially as PD takes pains to remind you to uninstall first.
However, all good.
Thanks for the assist.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As a passing comment, I would have thought that re-installing the main file would do this, especially as PD takes pains to remind you to uninstall first.

I agree, but there's something about installing PD on non-C: drives that makes it less predictable in terms of how it interacts with the system. That was highlighted in your case where you had separate registry and C: backups, so what made the most sense to me would be to go back to when everything was integrated.

I'm glad to hear you're back in business!
Davidk101
[Post New]
It's gone missing again, overnight it seems, no apparent reason this time.
Irritating. Although the icon is handy, an action item to check for updates in the file menu or help should also be available: basically, so this sort of feature can reliably survive what is a normal computer operation (recover from backup).
I've provided a rate and feedback response.
optodata
[Post New]
That's frustrating. You might want to contact CL tech support to see if they can help.

There are typically only a few updates released for each version and they're usually announced by a new thread here on the forum. You can also check the official Downloads page for updates, although obviously it would be better to have the notifier alert you when an update is available.
Davidk101
[Post New]
Hi,
Thanks for the tech support link. I've opened PD18 3 times today, and the updates icon was missing. As part of the touble report, they wanted the SR number - which I recalled was in the help panel. So, opened PD18 for the 4th time to get, and that updates icon is back!! - at least for that session. I really don't have a great confidence it will kepp being displayed.
So I had to adjust the text of the trouble report a bit.

Thanks for the tip about announcing updates in the forum, and frequency. I've got version 2725. Is that the release version of 18, or have there been updates since that event?

On a related subject, I've been wondering what the release cycle (how often) for a new version of PD is - there doesn't seem to be a fixed time period but maybe I'm assuming too much from limited evidence???
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the tip about announcing updates in the forum, and frequency. I've got version 2725. Is that the release version of 18, or have there been updates since that event?

That was an update released in April. There was an earlier patch in Dec, and all the details are on the linked updates page (although you'll need to click on the + Read More button to expand the view)

Quote On a related subject, I've been wondering what the release cycle (how often) for a new version of PD is - there doesn't seem to be a fixed time period but maybe I'm assuming too much from limited evidence???

New versions are typically released in September give or take, so PD19 will likely be available soon. CL usually only releases updates for the most recent 2 versions, so PD17 is nearing the end of what I call active support.

CL doesn't impose any limit on their free tech support so people with PD9 can still get assistance; but they won't release any updates even if/when YouTube or Facebook or nVidia completely change their interfaces and the older PD versions aren't able to interface with them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2020 21:50

Davidk101
[Post New]
Opto,
Thanks for that. I'd thought that release was less often, but it is what it is. Public support for current and the latest superseded version, and assistance with older ones beyond that is way bettter than some of the competition.
Davidk101
[Post New]
I've logged case with support about this, had a reply: send more specified data, and done.
But I've noticed a pattern to it:

• 1. the PC maybe turned on/off several times aday, but is always turned off overnght.

• 2. next or a new day: after 1st PC start, the 1st start of PD18 shows the updates 'bell' icon. Close PD, and re-open later - bell icon missing. Re-starting the PC and using PD again on the same day doesn't change this.

• 3. next day, 1st start of PC and 1st start of PD for the day - icon is displayed again. But after close, it's 2. all over again.

I updated the case with this detail.
Davidk101
[Post New]
I've had responses from the tech support people.
First, that's a new experience for me - tech support for editors has usually been "hello? are you there . . ." so bouquets to CL and Tony . . .
BUT altho he's suggested (and I've done) a graphics driver update, that iritating it's gone, no it's back again, oops gone missing characteristic between PD18 starts is still happening.
a work in progress is seems.
But otherwise, the program seems to be doing what it should be: my project edits happening in slow time as I get ideas about how to effect a particular event.
Davidk101
[Post New]
An update on this issue . .
it seems to be resolved but I am not sure why

• to and fro with the tech updated the HD4400 grphics adpater driver but that didn't seem to be effective at the time

• delaying a log-in on to a new windows session seemed to have the most effect; I used to log-in immediately the lock screen annotations appeared. Delaying that log-in action by 10-15 seconds, then another 5-10 afterwards seemed to work consistently

• various windows geeks all advised that the start process can make windows usable but still be loading features in the background after a login, which made some sense of the issue occurrence - or not re delays I noticed then applied

• windows monthly updates also happened (they auto install if not done manually after a time);

• and finally

• upgrading to win10-2004 happened.

So right now, the software is up to date and I'm applying the login delays I mentioned, and the issue has stopped occurring when I start PD18. I just dont't know which of the items mentioned was the most effective, but I suspect it is the mild delays in trying to get the PC to work.

And no one when asked (and I asked many places) could say there is any indication (visual or audible) by windows that a startup has been succesfuly completed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2020 04:08

Oliverz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 01, 2020 07:32 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
The update symbol can only be seen imho when there is a message or an update. As soon as the message has been read or the update has been updated / installed, I don't see such a symbol.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I don't open the program to check for updates, I just go here...

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?productId=4