Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Your version of PowerDirector doesn't support this feature (4K)
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2012 17:43 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Customer service is closed until Monday. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I recentlly reinstalled PowerDirector 17 on my desktop PC following a hard disk crash and replacement. Inadvertently I then downloaded a trial version of PowerDirector 18 which I understand will revert back to 17 in 30 days.

In the meantime, I was trying to put together a video shot with several sources: Mavic Mini Drone, my wife's iPhone 8, and my iPhone 11 Pro Max which is controlled by a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 gimbal. The latter shoots video in 4K at 30 fps and saves in an MP4 format.

When I try to open the MP4 files I get the following message: Your version of PowerDirector doesn't support this feature. Why would it be supported in 17 but not 18??

How do I get rid of 18 and go back to 17?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You are mistaken in thinking that the trial version of PD18 will somehow "revert back" to PD17. The trial versions cannot be updated or converted to fully functional apps, and you'll also have to uninstall the trial version before you reinstall PD17.

The trial version does not support editing any clips higher than HD resolution, and even if it did, once you save the project in any PD18 version, you won't be able to open it again in any older version, including PD17.

Once you hear back from customer service, be sure to keep a copy of the installer in a safe place, like a USB drive or in a cloud folder so you'll always be able to recover from a drive crash.

In my 30+ years of working with computers, I've been burned many times and I now make regular system image backups so that I can restore my whole system in a matter of minutes no matter what happened. Thre are several free and low cost app that will do that, and I suggest you give them a careful look to make recovering from something like this easier down the road.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2012 17:43 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you SO MUCH!

I uninstalled version 18 and discovered that 17 was still on my system. Importing MP4s works again!

I have all the installation files and authorization codes saved on an external hard drive.

This elderly videographer thanks you profusely!