Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Applying Pan and Zoom to 'overlay' tracks?
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
I call the video tracks (video #2, #3 etc) which are not the main TL video track 'overlays' because they overlay the TL. Partly thats a hangover from another NLE which called them as they worked. But it's an accurate description.

I have a photo which is on video#2, overlay, but sized so that a colour board, text and the photo are all visible. see screenshot.

What I want to do is put a pan and zoom filter onto just the photo, so that as the image displays you are able to read text on a background colour with some movement in just the photo.

So far, my attempts to do this are a miserable failure: trying to put a p&z filter onto the photo in the screenshot makes the whole TL combination (colour board, text and photo) outsized and move - not the effect I wanted. It doesn't look like PD allows this in any track except the TL. I can put a p&z filter onto a photo in the timeline; the next TL image after the time marker in the screenshot has one.

I can't find any description of P&Z in the user guide that bears on this. Can anyone confirm that P&Z can only be applied to the main TL? If PD allows what I want to do, how??
[Thumb - Video 2 pan and zoom.jpg]
 Filename
Video 2 pan and zoom.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
pan & zoom only on photo in video 2 overlay track??
 Filesize
244 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that you can add pan and zoom to other tracks.

I loosely recreated your clip, and applied the pan and zoom to the photo. I did this by clicking on it and applying pan and zoom from the tools menu.

Is this not your experience?

Phil
[Thumb - pan and zoom track 2.png]
 Filename
pan and zoom track 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
David,
What I understand is that you want the yellow board and the text to be visible at the place on the photo, AND you want the image on the right being “moved” by applying a Pan&Zoom?
There are several ways to get this done, but what I don’t understand is, that you get the result that everything is moving not only the image?
I wonder HOW you apply the filter, because it is only with trickery (or maybe effects from the effect room; if that is what you used, then please look below to see ho you can make it work...) that I can have both image, board and text moved. So please let us know.
The methods that work in my environment are:

1. Setup the timeline as you showed in the picture. The APPLICATION of the filter (I don’t know how you do it), is simple: Select the image; select within the TOOLS menu in the bar above the TL, Pan&Zoom; Select whatever movement you want from the selection screen; and open the motion designer. Well, notice that the P&Z usually works on parts of the image, so within the image boundaries. If you want the image and the board and the text to be visible, you have to make the P&Z selection very, very large. Best to set the size to 25% or 10% (rather than fit), Use the preview screen on the right to see the result and use the Keyframes as usual to define the movement. This will allow you to show some movement in the image. Note that as soon as you define P&Z within the image boundaries, the image will display and overlay the yellow board and the text, because the image (as you say) is in an overlay lane in the TL. Again. I don’t see any movement in the text or in the board, so maybe you apply a different P&Z filter??

2. The second option is to change the things around and let the image sit in lane no 1, and the yellow board in 2…. Apply the P&Z to the image as described above, and with the PIP designer change the size and position of the color board where you want it. Again, you may want to play around with the image position to make it visible besides the board.

3. The third option may be the obvious choice for many: Use the title facility to display text and color before the image. You can make the image move as described, and you can define the text with surrounding color with the title designer. You can use the backdrop option within titles to set the color behind the title, and you may have to play a bit with the width and height and even have to add spaces and returns before and/or after the title to make the color backdrop filling the screen as in your picture. But it can be done. And may give you a bit more flexibility to get nice results.

There may also be the option to use the PIP designer for the image and do some settings with keyframes.
Let me know if that works for you.
Warry
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
I made a short replica - a colour board, a photo and text - to play with. I thought I had done what is described . . but cannot re-produce the whole compositon zooming now. which is frustrating in itself.

What I have been able to do this time is distort and move the photo. Again, not what I was after.

The process after putting the various items into the workspace:

1. select the photo

2. choose tools then pan and zoom: options panel of P&Z varieties opens

3. pick zoom in from the options: and clicked, the effect icon appears and the photo image immediately distorts: larger, now covering most of the text, and only some of the photo displayed. 2 screenshots attached. Playing after the filter is applied simply makes the photo zoom even more.

The effect I am after is to have the size (frame) of the photo remain unchanged, but as the clips play, the text is readable whilst the photo image within the photo frame gradually zooms in from the phorto original.

When I have got that right I will want to learn how to centre the zooming image on a particular part of the photo.

I poked around in motion designer but probably need to view a tutorial on that and how PD applies keyframes here - I've been focusing on basic steps first.
[Thumb - Text Trial 2.jpg]
 Filename
Text Trial 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
composition after P&Z zoom in selected.
 Filesize
347 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Text Trial 1.jpg]
 Filename
Text Trial 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
composition before P&Z 'zoom in' selected
 Filesize
251 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I do not seem able to reproduce what you see happening.

I can however accomplish what it you want (as far as I understand), by doing what I described in option 2:

Move the image to track 1
Move the yellow board to track 2
Change the board such that it leaves the required space or frame for the image in track 1
Move the title in the title track such that it sits needly in the yellow part
Open the PIP designer for the image
Move the time pointer (by lack of a better word), to the end of the image display
Now change the position of the image such that the desired centre of the image that should display zoomed in the final result in the centre of the frame as left by the yellow board.
Close the PIP disgner
Open the P&Z designer and also move the time pointer of the image to the end of the image display and set a keyframe, and the position the image such that it displays zoomed as required.
(You may have to repeat the PIP en P&Z steps until you are happy with the result)
The trick is, since you want to maintain the frame for the image as set by the yellow board to have the image in track 1 and the board in track 2
[Thumb - Screen Captures.jpg]
 Filename
Screen Captures.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2020 08:15

Davidk101
[Post New]
I tried a different approach, before seeing Warry's solution.

First, I created a test project that just had a colour board, photo and some text - in the same arrangement as my other project, the text is different but without all the other details. And I got that to work as desired - using, I think, PiP designer: it looked like that sub-display but cannot positively confirm it was PiP designer. But what was involved were keyframes and position/sizing of the zoomed image on a black background whilst maintaining the frame size on the 2nd keyframe. Combined output - was as desired. The project file and photo are attached - assume all the other detail as part of PD is available if this project is opened in PD elsewhere.

Next I tried what I thought was the same approach on the bigger project file, and I cannot replicate what I achieved in the test file. So, back to test file, opened PiP designer, looking for the settings at keyframe points - and there are no keyframes in that sub-display. arrgh!

So with the attachments maybe someone can tell me what I actually did to get this to work.

Went looking for a tutorial on PiP designer - could not find one. Is there a link readily available??
[Thumb - IMG_2905 Gloria in Edo museum 2.JPG]
 Filename
IMG_2905 Gloria in Edo museum 2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Photo for test project
 Filesize
3500 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
 Filename
Trials project.pds
[Disk]
 Description
Test project file
 Filesize
356 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
144 time(s)
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Try some of the videos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTeYTzfQq247MRQVcLlFGIXIW38lbNnT6 there are a number that cover the PIP designer.

As you were using Pan & Zoom to achieve the effects, you weren't using the PIP designer.

Personally, when I've been doing things such as this I tend to use the PIP designer.

Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2020 04:04

Davidk101
[Post New]
Thanks for the tut link.

the problem started out with was that appying a P&Z filter, I could not get it to stay limited to the photo frame size. And that applied to a PiP desighner approach too. In the latter, I could apply various changes etc by keyframe, but there wasn't one that I could find that let me change the amount of pan or zoom within a frame

With a lot of experimenting, I found that I'd used Pan and Zoom, the user-defined item.