Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there going to be a PD 18?
Frankster69 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 13, 2017 13:32 Messages: 68 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Just curious... Is there going to be a regular PowerDirector 18, or is the 365 subscription model the new direction?

regards, Frank
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Since anyone who knows is probably under a non-disclosure agreement, no one can say.

But I'd say it's pretty likely the single-purchase as well as the subscription version will both continue.

Though we won't know for sure until the next version is released, typically at the end of the year.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2019 08:20

TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all,

Just curious... Is there going to be a regular PowerDirector 18, or is the 365 subscription model the new direction?

regards, Frank

They would lose a lot of money if they ditched the stand alone product. Heavy users of the software will tend to go for the subscription model, but people like myself don't need the bells and whistles and prefer the stand alone version. If PD doesn't offer it, other companies will.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
This OP had a first response from someone with the ability to be in the know but the post was removed.....

The response simply provided release month and some very high-level comments about release subscription and perpetual. The month can possibly be inferred from the past.

PowerDirector 17 - 9/2018
PowerDirector 16 - 9/2017
PowerDirector 15 - 9/2016
PowerDirector 14 - 9/2015
PowerDirector 13 - 9/2014
PowerDirector 12 - 9/2013
PowerDirector 11 - 9/2012
PowerDirector 10 - 10/2011
PowerDirector 9 - 11/2010
PowerDirector 8 - 8/2009
PowerDirector 7 - 5/2008
PowerDirector 6 - 3/2007
PowerDirector 5 - 12/2005
PowerDirector 4 - 4/2005

Jeff
Frankster69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks all,

That kind of puts my mind at ease

regards, Frank
Frankster69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This OP had a first response from someone with the ability to be in the know but the post was removed.....

Ah so it was indeed! I got an email telling me there was a response, but as I checked I saw nothing. So I wasn't crazy after all! Well, at least not as much as I thought

regards, Frank
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all,

regards, Frank

Hello Frank.

PowerDirector 18 has a stand alone version and an annual subscription version (365) which is paid monthly. I guess your questions is if CyberLink will still have a stand alone version. I think they will but we won't know until they release PowerDirector 18.
Dekker [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2007 15:49 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Not that it will make any difference, but I already informed them that if they go for subscription only, they will loose at least one longtime loyal customer for certain. I simply refuse subscription based software (at least private) if there is no maintenance required. I see absolutely no reason why my perfectly working (paid for) multimedia software should stop working after some point in time just because I no longer wish to invest in any further upgrades, while what I have paid for is enough for me.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I think that the subscription model represents the future for many software applications. I'm happy to have Microsoft Office 365 because of my usage of those products and One Drive on a daily basis, but as someone who only uses PD a handful of times a year, the stand alone product makes much more sense for me. If that wasn't available, I'd probably look at one of the free offerings out there. smile