Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio won't "normalize", db discrepancy, and what is the ideal db range for talking head video
[Post New]
Sorry for the bad description but I am having a hard time describing in few words my problem.

I am having a hard time making the speakers voice about the same volume across all the clips.

I did an internet search on how to level the sound across all tracks and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifcmkbFwqTE

and prior to that I had used the normalize option inj the audio room (which I saw later on another video was a bad idea, but I forgot why)

Is there a way to make the volume level on the tracks about the same? Using normalize didnt work.

but the problem is, if you look at the attached screen shot, the first and third clips (the first clip with a man in a blue blazer, and the clip from Hang 'em high") sound perfect, but the second clip, with the yellow marks on it is loud. And that is after I used the normalize option on it.

and the blue bar that runs acrossed it is way lower than the ones on the clips that sound right. When I pushed it up to meet the others it was even more loud.

Then when you get to the fourth clip, the first one after the hang em high clip, it is loud again.

and the last one is loud also.

Then, I just highlit all the clips on that screen shot plus some others, and normalized them, but nothing changed.

Finally, when I just lowered the vertical db scale on the loud clip (the one right before the hang em high clip), the volume lowered, but when it sounds about the same as the clip before it, it reads -12.4 db. The one before it reads +12.0 db, and the hang em high clip reads +12 db

Why the descrepancy? does that refer to the range of decibals in that clip instead of the volume?

Finally, for a video like this that is mostly a single person speaking to the camera, what is ideal for db using the scale in the audio room?

Do I even seem to understand enough about audio to be asking these questions?
[Thumb - audio problem.jpg]
 Filename
audio problem.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 17. 2019 13:04

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
My experience with PD, Normalize never works as we would like.
Only it tries to average between all the selected audios.
For an audio volume adjustment but precise, I use another Mp4Gain software it leaves any audio with the same volume.
In PD17 I usually adjust volume manually by dragging the audio line up or down and observing the yellow wave peaks beginning to appear as a reference, must be done before applying fade in / out. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365