Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need help again from our GPU gurus GTX1060, no HDR
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I have been downloading 4K HDR samples from the likes of Samsung and Sony. These have the BT2020 color space and show 4K HDR10 10 bits when played from a Samsung UHD BR player after I create a uhd disc with that material. That same disc when played from my pc or as the original file shows no HDR properties on to the TV and it is surprising to see the magnitude of the picture difference.. According to Nvidea the GTX 1060 is supposed to handle HDR, what am I doing wrong here? (again)

Tried 3 different video players.

Thanks for any help

Eugene

After some more fiddling , it may be the bit rate from the pc at 8 rather than 10 bits?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2019 22:34

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
[Post New]
Quote After some more fiddling , it may be the bit rate from the pc at 8 rather than 10 bits?

This option is visible on my 4K monitor with 10 bit capability on the GTX1080. Connection is via DP cable.

As a side-note, this is not a HDR capable monitor, even if is a 10 bit one, because it has only 300 nits (requirement is 400 nits for the lowest HDR).

[Thumb - 10bit.PNG]
 Filename
10bit.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 14. 2019 23:10

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply SoNic67

I got it working after disconnecting the 8bit monitor from the signal splitter so that only the Vizio P TV was connected. In addition the HDR box on the Nvidea display software had to be turned on. After that the downloaded 4K HDRG10 played fine in HDR but only with the VLC video player, may have to update all the other players. The downloaded HDR software was 30Hz, the 4K HDMI stream to the TV was at 30Hz 12 bits. Most likely will be 10 bits at 60Hz. So far that is the only true HDR video that works, all others while claiming to be HDR are not.
Playback is fine as a file as well as from the burned UHD disc.

So far the TV set is indicating HDR even when playing non HDR material,no good. more work

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2019 19:37

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the reply SoNic67

I got it working after disconnecting the 8bit monitor from the signal splitter so that only the Vizio P TV was connected. In addition the HDR box on the Nvidea display software had to be turned on. After that the downloaded 4K HDRG10 played fine in HDR but only with the VLC video player, may have to update all the other players. The downloaded HDR software was 30Hz, the 4K HDMI stream to the TV was at 30Hz 12 bits. Most likely will be 10 bits at 60Hz. So far that is the only true HDR video that works, all others while claiming to be HDR are not.
Playback is fine as a file as well as from the burned UHD disc.

So far the TV set is indicating HDR even when playing non HDR material,no good. more work

Eugene

Eugene,

1. Never use "signal splitters" in digital world. Throw that away and use the connectors on the back of the card directly.

2. The company name is "nvidia" not "nvidea" like you keep typing.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2019 13:03

Eugen157
[Post New]
Thanks again.

Rather than Google all this, I understand that Display Port carries audio as does HDMI. The use of the splitter was to have the same image on a pc monitor as well as a TV, both via HDMI

Is it possible, on one card, to have two simultaneous outputs HDMI and DP, both with audio?

If a second 1060 is used, or a lesser GPU, can each output a different stream, say one 8 bit and the other 10 bit at the same time, same 4K video?

Or the obvious simple solution, a 10 bit HDR monitor, some now going for less than $500.

regards,

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2019 22:02

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,