Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDHanumanSvr Application - PD17 won't restart after closing APP.
TinkerDog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2016 21:48 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I see this has been discussed back in December, but those who missed the discussion thread "Cyberlink PD refusing to load without system reboot", the cause of why you can't start Power Director 17 back up after closing it is that the

PDHanumanSvr Application

is still running in the background, and you can't start PD17 up while it is running. The developers need to have PD17 check for the background app running, and if so, turn it off, THEN start up PD17 and THEN start up PDHanumanSvr after the PD17 is up and running.

Then ONLY workaround is to go to TASKMASTER and manully close the PDHanumanSVR Application EVERY SINGLE TIME you restart PD17.

Now.... if you aren't having any trouble with it, then you are fortunate. Maybe that is why PD17 hasn't fixed it, due to themselves NOT having any problem with it not shutting down when exiting PD17.

Hope they get it fixed...... it's hanging not only makes you have to shut it down, but when it is still running, it hangs the video files it was working on.... you can't delete them... sigh.....

Cyberlink, please fix this. It would be a simple fix, and it makes your software amateurish and not ready for prime time or professional use.

Thanks
Tommy ( I use the PD17 for Wedding Video Production, so I put it through its paces every day !! )
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote (The) ONLY workaround is to go to TASKMASTER and manully close the PDHanumanSVR Application EVERY SINGLE TIME you restart PD17.

That's actually not true. I've been working with PD since v9, and to this day I've not had issues opening and closing it multiple times a day without rebooting or doing anything but relaunching it.

In most cases, closing PD automatically shuts down PDHanumanSvr properly, but there is usually a lag of a few seconds between the two actions. If you try to reopen PD within 2 or 3 seconds of closing it, you're likely to run in to the situation you've described. The same thing can happen if PD crashes but PDHanumanSvr is left still running.

If you simply tried to reopen PD too soon, waiting a few more seconds will allow you to restart it - no other action is needed. If PD crashed and you can't restart it, using Task Manager or rebooting are the best choices.

If you're consistently unable to relaunch PD even after waiting 5 or even 10 seconds after closing it, please follow the steps listed in the Read Me Before Posting thread and post the DxDiag results and exact PD17 version number. It's possible that something with your PC is preventing PDHanumanSvr from closing properly, and the requested details may help uncover the reason.

You can also try unininstalling and then reinstalling PD to see if the behavior changes. You definitely should not have to continmually be using Task Manager!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
TinkerDog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here you go..........

PD17 Version #

DxDiag..... ( in attachment )
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag text file
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
287 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2019 14:36

Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]

If you simply tried to reopen PD too soon, waiting a few more seconds will allow you to restart it - no other action is needed. If PD crashed and you can't restart it, using Task Manager or rebooting are the best choices.

!

OptoData, as much as I respect your knowledge and expertise (and believe me, I do!) I've got to disagree a little here. I had made a couple of posts earlier on this forum concerning this issue and was told about the PDHanumanSvr App not closing when it should. For several days the problem did not reoccur, then finally yesterday it did. Sure enough, killing that app in task manager totally allowed me to restart PD without a reboot. But here's the thing: I had exited PD at least 20 minutes BEFORE trying to restart it.

For me the problem only occurs maybe once every 20 times of using PD but waiting a few seconds does not make a difference. It seems that once PDHanumanSvr decides to lollygag in memory it does so for as long as it likes.

I'm running Windows 10 on a woefully under-powered Dell Inspiron 3558 system with an I-3 cpu and 8gb ram. My PD is 17.0.2314.1. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OptoData, as much as I respect your knowledge and expertise (and believe me, I do!) I've got to disagree a little here. I had made a couple of posts earlier on this forum concerning this issue and was told about the PDHanumanSvr App not closing when it should. For several days the problem did not reoccur, then finally yesterday it did. Sure enough, killing that app in task manager totally allowed me to restart PD without a reboot. But here's the thing: I had exited PD at least 20 minutes BEFORE trying to restart it.

For me the problem only occurs maybe once every 20 times of using PD but waiting a few seconds does not make a difference. It seems that once PDHanumanSvr decides to lollygag in memory it does so for as long as it likes.

I'm running Windows 10 on a woefully under-powered Dell Inspiron 3558 system with an I-3 cpu and 8gb ram. My PD is 17.0.2314.1.

This issue has been around for a very long time. I totally understand you position that it occurs infrequent. I spent considerable time isolating it for a local individual a few yrs back and it turned out to be his virus protection. In short it appeared to be a access violation for a file that was being scanned while PDHanumanSvr Application was still scrubbing the file and was shut down during the process. Additionally, it was some specific timing of the access, so for instance simply creating a large production that needed to be scanned and shutting down PD wouldn't always trigger the hung app. He moved on to a different virus protection and all was well.

A slower machine would make these types of issues more prevalent.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... I spent considerable time isolating it for a local individual a few yrs back and it turned out to be his virus protection. In short it appeared to be a access violation for a file that was being scanned while PDHanumanSvr Application was still scrubbing the file and was shut down during the process. Additionally, it was some specific timing of the access, so for instance simply creating a large production that needed to be scanned and shutting down PD wouldn't always trigger the hung app. He moved on to a different virus protection and all was well.

A slower machine would make these types of issues more prevalent.

Jeff

That's very helpful info to know. The DxDiag test only deals with media issues so there isn't any info on antivirus programs. TinkerDog, I wonder if you could disable your AV app for maybe 10 minutes and see if that lets you restart PD more reliably. If you're worried about being "defenseless" for that test, just unplug/disconnect from your internet connection for that period.

I also see a couple of issues in the DxDiag results that may help with system stability and possible with producing as well. One thing is that the Intel driver for your i7-4770's built-in HD4600 iGPU is almost a year out of date, and you can download the most recent update here,

At the very end is a list of the 10 most recent serious crashes, but I don't know how long ago any of those crashes occurred. The two that stand out are the "HoneyScienceCorporation" javascript browser extension (which apparently searches for coupons) and problems with the Windows Store search/update agent.

You may want to remove that javascript or at least disable it if you don't want it running, and you can try resetting the Windows Store to see if that gets it working better. It's very easy to do, as shown here.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

TinkerDog [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's very helpful info to know. The DxDiag test only deals with media issues so there isn't any info on antivirus programs. TinkerDog, I wonder if you could disable your AV app for maybe 10 minutes and see if that lets you restart PD more reliably. If you're worried about being "defenseless" for that test, just unplug/disconnect from your internet connection for that period.

I also see a couple of issues in the DxDiag results that may help with system stability and possible with producing as well. One thing is that the Intel driver for your i7-4770's built-in HD4600 iGPU is almost a year out of date, and you can download the most recent update here,

At the very end is a list of the 10 most recent serious crashes, but I don't know how long ago any of those crashes occurred. The two that stand out are the "HoneyScienceCorporation" javascript browser extension (which apparently searches for coupons) and problems with the Windows Store search/update agent.

You may want to remove that javascript or at least disable it if you don't want it running, and you can try resetting the Windows Store to see if that gets it working better. It's very easy to do, as shown here.

I'll try these out later on Wednesday..... Thanks !!
optodata
[Post New]
OptoData, as much as I respect your knowledge and expertise (and believe me, I do!) I've got to disagree a little here.
killing that app in task manager totally allowed me to restart PD without a reboot. But here's the thing: I had exited PD at least 20 minutes BEFORE trying to restart it.

I also respect your candor and thoughtful posts, and my point wasn't that there weren't any problems with PDHanumanSvr, only that you shouldn't have to be using Task Manager every time you want to restart it.

Maybe having to use TM 5% of the time is what's realistic in some cases, I don't know.

I also don't know if this would be worth your effort, but if you've got some time on your hands you could try disabling your AV for a while too and see if that lets you open, close and restart PD 25 or 30 times in a row if you wait 4-5 seconds in between. If you saw an improvement, that would seem to point to some kind of AV program conflict.

YouTube/optodata

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know, PDHanumanSvr is involved in the production of shadow files. I've never used them and have never had the option to create them ticked but I'm aware that they can take a relatively long time to generate.

Perhaps this problem (that has been reported occasionally for a long time now) could be caused by closing PDR whilst shadow files are still being generated - just a thought which might account for the process not being shutdown correctly when PDR is closed.
Hankster65
[Post New]

I also respect your candor and thoughtful posts, and my point wasn't that there weren't any problems with PDHanumanSvr, only that you shouldn't have to be using Task Manager every time you want to restart it.

Maybe having to use TM 5% of the time is what's realistic in some cases, I don't know.

I also don't know if this would be worth your effort, but if you've got some time on your hands you could try disabling your AV for a while too and see if that lets you open, close and restart PD 25 or 30 times in a row if you wait 4-5 seconds in between. If you saw an improvement, that would seem to point to some kind of AV program conflict.

Thanks Optodata. If I get some time I may just try that. This is not a big issue to me, especially since I now know I can fix the problem without a reboot, but out of curiosity I would like to know the root cause. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
Hankster65
[Post New]
Quote As far as I know, PDHanumanSvr is involved in the production of shadow files. I've never used them and have never had the option to create them ticked but I'm aware that they can take a relatively long time to generate.

Perhaps this problem (that has been reported occasionally for a long time now) could be caused by closing PDR whilst shadow files are still being generated - just a thought which might account for the process not being shutdown correctly when PDR is closed.

Good idea. I do use shadow files (a LOT with my underpowered system) so I'll be keeping an eye on this. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
TinkerDog [Avatar]
[Post New]
I turned off the Shadow File generation and I've NOT had any more hangups with PD17 at this time.

... as a side-note - while SHADOW FILE CREATION was tuned ON, when I PRODUCE a large wedding file, upon completion and I select EDIT and go back to the EDIT screen, it copies the large file into the LIBRARY. While doing this, I see it is in the process of creating a shadow file.

Ok... I save the project while this is going on, and I exit PD17 to try and get around the hangups. But is would hangup in THIS situation, because, I believe that the PDH server is still making a shadow copy of this large file. Since PDH server is still running, and still probably has hooks into several of the other source files for the wedding, it will not allow PD17 to reastart until it is done. Maybe.... I dunno.

But when turned off the Shadow File generataion, it seems to be working ok for now.

YMMV.

Tommy
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I turned off the Shadow File generation and I've NOT had any more hangups with PD17 at this time.

... as a side-note - while SHADOW FILE CREATION was tuned ON, when I PRODUCE a large wedding file, upon completion and I select EDIT and go back to the EDIT screen, it copies the large file into the LIBRARY. While doing this, I see it is in the process of creating a shadow file.

Ok... I save the project while this is going on, and I exit PD17 to try and get around the hangups. But is would hangup in THIS situation, because, I believe that the PDH server is still making a shadow copy of this large file. Since PDH server is still running, and still probably has hooks into several of the other source files for the wedding, it will not allow PD17 to reastart until it is done. Maybe.... I dunno.

But when turned off the Shadow File generataion, it seems to be working ok for now.

YMMV.

Tommy

I think you've exactly nailed the situation! That is some nice detective work, TinkerDog

I hadn't thought about how returning to the edit screen after producing would also start the whole shadow files process on your newly produced work - so thanks very much for spelling out your workflow and sharing what you've discovered cool

As a general rule, I don't use shadow files and I tend to exit PD after producing to explicity avoid the step of adding the new video to my library. I do want the auto import to happen if I've just produced a range, but otherwise it's a clean exit, no save, and then I can reopen PD and continue.

As I wrote earlier, I hardly ever run into relaunch issues - but again, YMMV.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 24. 2019 17:05

YouTube/optodata