Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
can't seem to get into View Designer
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
After using PD13 for years, I just paid for and downloaded and installed PD17 Ultra. I wanted it so I can do make 360 deg videos, especially little planet videos.

I see a clip that came with the program- "beech 360.mp4"- so I add put that in the time line. I then did a search in the help file for "little planet" which sent me to: https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/17/enu/index.html?hmkwindex.htm

There it says:

In the View Designer you can use 360º video clips to create little planet videos. To create a little planet video, do this:

1.In the Edit module, select a 360° video clip on the timeline and then select Designer > View Designer or Tools > View Designer..

2.In the Projection mode drop-down, select the Little Planet option to transform the video.

But if I look at the drop down menus for Designer or Tools- I simply don't see "View Designer". It ain't there. Under Tools-there is a "360 start viewer" but no "View Designer" option.

What gives? I'm not happy about this. That help file shows a dialogue box that looks similar to the "360 start viewer" but with an option for "projection mode" and other features at the bottom.

I don't even own a 360 camera yet but hope to buy one very soon but I'll wait until I can figure out how to get PD17 to do "little planets".

Joe

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like the instructions are missing one piece of info, and that's the project type.

When you first place beach.mp4 (or any 360 degree clip) on the timeline, you're presented with a choice of whether to work with it as a 360 degree project, or to create a conventional 2D video.

It might seem counterintuitive, but to get to the "little planet" options you actually need to choose the 2nd option:

It actually makes sense when you think about it, because a 360 degree project is always set at the center of the sphere and you can't ever get "outside" of it; whereas a 360 degree clip in a 2D project is always going to only display a section of the surrounding world, and CAN be zoomed out to show the entirety of the clip essentially from the outside, which is what a "little planet" video is.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
optodata,

Wow! Thanks a million. This little planet feature is the reason I wanted to move up to PD17. I never in a million years would have discovered the solution but of course it does make sense. I'd suggest to Cyberlink to make a note of this and maybe change that option to mention using the 2D for little planet.

I really got into the little planet thing seeing them on YouTube - especially Ben Claremont's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAjSHLRJcDfhDSu7WRpOu-w

I haven't yet checked to see if there are discussions on this subject in this forum. It would be great if others here are experimenting with this feature.

Thanks again, and thanks to Cyberlink for a great program!

Joe

PS: I'm planning on buying the Insta360 One X camera