Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Background Music within Cyberlink Powerdirector 17
MichelleC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2018 12:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just want to confirm that the background music which is within Cyberlink Powerdirector 17 is copyright free and that I can use it on YouTube. I've uploaded a video to YouTube and was flagged for a copyright violation. That didn't surprise me because it seems to happen for every single video I upload that has music. But I've disputed the violation and it's taking them much longer to take it down for this particular video which includes the background music.

I used to use SmartSound with my Powerdirector videos but now that I've upgraded to Powerdirector 17 I apparently can't use that anymore, which is disappointing.

Anyway, please let me know if this music is free and clear to use. I've been looking all over and can't seem to find any documentation to confirm that for me. Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If you still have that previous version of PD installed then you can access the SmartSound from PD17. On the top left Click on Pluggins/Media/Smartsound quicktracks. The music background music in PD17 is supposed to be okay for use on YouTube from what I believe but others too have been flagged.
MichelleC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2018 12:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you still have that previous version of PD installed then you can access the SmartSound from PD17. On the top left Click on Pluggins/Media/Smartsound quicktracks. The music background music in PD17 is supposed to be okay for use on YouTube from what I believe but others too have been flagged.

I just got a new laptop and don't have the previous version of PD installed on it. But it is installed on a different computer. Do I need to install that version first and then reinstall this version of PD? I see the PLUGINS but no MEDIA after that.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MichelleC & tomasc -

I have some news about this...

A while back, the same thing was under discussion. At the time I posted some videos containing background music to check whether they'd get copyright notifications.

Since then, my alter-ego "Tess Ting" has been busy posting videos with PDR17 background music. These include about 110 tracks available in the perpetual & 365 versions.

54 videos received a copyright notification. Dispute was filed in each case.
2 claims released immediately following dispute
2 claims lapsed after 30 day limit for claimant to respond (if the claimant fails to respond, it lapses)
1 claim was “upheld” and can be appealed

In the attached PDF, there are screenshots of Tess Ting's YouTube channel showing the state of play with all the background music.

Based on that, my advice is to file a dispute for anything that's flagged... then just sit out the 30 days -maybe it's 28 - and it'll be a thing of the past.

The one claim that was "upheld" (i.e. the claimant wouldn't release it) will be appealed, once I get the necessary documentation from CyberLink.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR17 Background Music - YouTube.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1470 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
684 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 03. 2018 19:05

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
For PD users who do not have the Smartsound plugin...
http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates?product=cyberlink

Download and install the various bits of software and you will acquire the plugin!
Copy your music folders from your other installation, if you purchased additional tracks. If not, you should simply get the OEM tracks with the downloads.
For more Smartsound music, download the free SonicFire Pro and you'll get an album with it. If you actually TRY the full SFPro, you might just buy it, so be forewarned.
Ebay has lots of older SS albums for short money, too. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Update on Tess Ting's testing...

112 videos posted with PDR17 background music
11 claims released immediately following dispute
2 claims lapsed after 30 day limit for claimant to respond (if the claimant fails to respond, it lapses)

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR17 Background Music - YouTube - 18.11.07.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1473 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
564 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Further update on Tess Ting's testing -

112 videos posted on YouTube including ~110 tracks (background music)
21 claims are still in dispute
32 claims released following dispute or claim period lapsed

Final result by 3 December, after claim period lapses.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR17 Background Music - YouTube - 27.11.18.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1437 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
544 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Final (almost) update on the background music issue...

30 days have passed since the most recent dispute was filed. Many claimants didn't respond and their original claims have, therefore, lapsed. i.e. there is no copyright flag remaining on YouTube.

All but one copyright claim have either been released or lapsed. Only 1 is still in dispute. 1 out of 110 ain't bad.

Recap: All available background music tracks from both PDR17 (perpetual) and PDR17 (365) applied in sample videos and posted on YouTube.

112 videos included ~110 tracks
58 videos were not flagged (no copyright notification)
31 claims were released by the claimant(s)
22 claims lapsed (claimant did not respond to dispute within 30 days)
1 claim (only) is still in dispute. It was originally “upheld” and has been appealed again, quoting CyberLink's FAQs & End User License Agreement

In short: There's a 50% chance that the background music will receive a copyright notification on YouTube, but if you take a few minutes to file a dispute there's a 100% chance that it will be resolved in your favour.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR17 Background Music - YouTube 3.12.18.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1443 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
500 time(s)

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony for the substantial testing and monitoring.

Hopefully it will put folk's minds at rest even - if there is a temporary problem from time to time!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
[Post New]
... and thank you for the thank you.

Tess Ting has been at it again, after discovering another batch of music available to PDR & PhD 365 subscribers. It's called Drama & Suspense

There are 10 tracks in the collection. When uploaded to YouTube, 3 were flagged & subsequently disputed.

• Requiem Dies Irae

• Swan Lake Scene Final

• It's All Over

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Final update on PDR17 Background Music copyright claims on YouTube (not including Drama & Suspense tracks):

Tess Ting received this notification regarding one particular track in the background music collection

Epic Dreams

The claim was initially disputed via YouTube - then rejected. I lodged a further dispute citing documentation from CyberLink. That's been rejected as well, and the video will be "taken down" on 26 December.

So - bottom line - of the 110 tracks posted on YouTube, one (Epic Dreams) was the only one where the copyright claim wasn't released.

I've heard nothing back on the 3 Drama & Suspense tracks where the copyright claim was disputed, so I expect they'll probably lapse by 5 January (30 days after submitting dispute).

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2018 15:16

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi All -

Sorry to keep dragging this thread to the top, but there's more...

Poor Tess Ting has been a naughty YouTuber and received a copyright strike "frown"

""

Tess Ting will consult people in CL about filing a counter notification. The previous dispute failed, even with supporting documentation.

><>.¸¸.><>.¸¸.><((((> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>.·´¯`·><((((>.¸¸.><> ><>¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Unthwarted, further background music check videos have been uploaded using background music available for PhotoDirector/Director Suite 365 users: Winter Sounds

Predictably, 3 of the 10 tracks were flagged on YouTube...

1. Anachronic Jazz

2. Believe

3. First Days of Spring

Disputes have been submitted.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. After Tess Ting's misdemeanour, I will henceforth dissociate myself from her & refer to her only in the third person "innocent"
ynotfish
[Post New]
Update:

from Tess Ting's Inbox:

Hi Tess Ting,

Good news! After reviewing your dispute, AdRev for Rights Holder has decided to release their copyright claim on your YouTube video.
Video title: "BMC121 Believe"

The YouTube Team

Same message for the other 2 tracks from Winter Sounds that were flagged - Anachronic Jazz & First Days of Spring.

So the Winter Sounds collection for PhD365 gets the "All Clear".

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Update re: Drama & Suspense collection

Copyright claims for the three tracks that were flagged in this group have now lapsed. i.e. claimant didn't respond within 30 days after dispute was filed.

So all tracks in the Drame & Suspense collection, including "Requiem Dies Irae", "Swan Lake Scene Final", & "It's All Over" now have the All Clear.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Tess Ting's been at it again - must be a terrible affliction not being able to let go of something.

Two recently released music packs for 365 subscribers have been tested on YouTube - Dance Party & Inspiration

Each pack has 10 tracks. Dance Party had 6 tracks flagged & Inspiration had 2. See details in attached screenshot. Disputes to copyright claims have been submitted.

N.B. There's one track in the Dance Party collection (Nice Going) that couldn't be tested because PDR repeatedly crashed when attempting to download. This happened on 2 separate PCs.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Tess Ting tells me that one way to check whether someone is anal retentive is to ask them whether "anal retentive" should be hyphenated. undecided
[Thumb - Dance Party-Inspiration.jpg]
 Filename
Dance Party-Inspiration.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
448 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2019 14:50

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote N.B. There's one track in the Dance Party collection (Nice Going) that couldn't be tested because PDR repeatedly crashed when attempting to download. This happened on 2 separate PCs.

I feel your pain over here as well. Looks like submitting a trouble ticket would be in order.

I'm not sure about the hypen, though innocent

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
[Post New]
Update on Dance Party & Inspiration tracks on YouTube...

ALL CLEAR!

Of the 20 tracks from the two collections, 9 were flagged by YouTube as "including copyrighted content". The claims were disputed, of course, and 7 were released immediately. The other 2 have now lapsed after 30 days, so the are no outstanding disputes.

P.S. optodata - I did eventually manage to download that miscreant "Nice Going" track. Not sure how or why surprised

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
I just overviwed all posts but did not understand all as in English I am not too good

have simular problem using title "Power Trip" After uploading got email from youtube which consider that I used copyright music named "Power Trip-14016 " Is it sure I can use it fr monetarisation? Video is not public because want to be clear about it: https://youtu.be/VWkZiF0hd3M
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Update on Dance Party & Inspiration tracks on YouTube...

ALL CLEAR!

Of the 20 tracks from the two collections, 9 were flagged by YouTube as "including copyrighted content". The claims were disputed, of course, and 7 were released immediately. The other 2 have now lapsed after 30 days, so the are no outstanding disputes.

P.S. optodata - I did eventually manage to download that miscreant "Nice Going" track. Not sure how or why surprised

Cheers - Tony

I uploaded a video 21 April 2019 with It's All Over, so called free to use 365 BGM and was flagged for copyright. CyberLink you need to do a better job for us me thinks when it comes to your 365 subscription, in my opinion. Not impressed.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]

I uploaded a video 21 April 2019 with It's All Over, so called free to use 365 BGM and was flagged for copyright. CyberLink you need to do a better job for us me thinks when it comes to your 365 subscription, in my opinion. Not impressed.
Did you read the thread? Copyright issues affect everybody and this case Youtube’s system makes false flags, simply file a dispute. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT