Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PIP defining start time
Roland [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 11, 2009 16:43 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm new to PD7. I have downloaded the user manual but I cannot find out how I can enter a time code for the exact time that I want the PIP to start. At the moment I have to move the PIP by sliding it on the timeline. It is almost impossible sometimes to align with my video etc. I hope someone can help. Thanks!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roland -

I don't know of a different way to do it but, if you expand/drag out the timeline (click & drag above it), you should be able to sync it reasonably accurately.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roland,

Just a thought here.
If you really do indeed know the exact clock setting that you want your PIP to start at (say... 00:24:07), perhaps you could drag a Color Board (found in the All Media drop down menu) into the PIP track and slide it to the beginning of the project.
Then set the duration of of the color board to 00:24:06. Then drag your clip next to the color board, and it should start at 00:24:07.
Then simply delete the color board.

But doing as Tony suggested, it would be much easier if you "expand" the timelines as far as they'll go, you should be able to slide your PIP to within a frame or two of where you want your PIP to start.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 11. 2009 20:18

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I do the following often when I want something at a specific time when zooming is not desired. I hate to constantly zoom in and out, I usually use the shortcuts "shift + and shift -".

1) have some video in the master video track
2) say you want to put something in pip starting at 24:10
3) drop a colorboard in that straddles the 24:10 time
4) in the preview frame time counter type in the precise time you want the pip to start, in this case 24:10. The time slider will jump to that specific time
5) select the colorboard and split
6) delete the right half of the color board and then slide your pip footage to nudge up against the color board. It now starts right at 24:10

Very easy and gives you precise timecode control in either "movie" mode or "clip" mode if you need to position something relative to a given clip. If you delete the right half of the colorboard you can have the clip end at a given point just as well.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2009 19:28

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well spoken you guys - way more accurate than anything I'd have come up with.

Roland - I think your sync issue is a thing of the past.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Roland [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 11, 2009 16:43 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone, I've tried all the suggestions and they all work very well. Thanks!

Roland