Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photodirector terribly slow and crashing
Jutuiz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2014 14:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I use Powerdirector since a few years, and very happy with it.
Since last week I'm testing if Photodirector 9 would suffice to replace Lightroom. I bought the whole Cyberlink suite on subscription base, with a certain confidence. And knowing it would handle Fuji RAF files for the x-T20 (based on a trial).

Now that I've imported my collection into a project (+120k pictures) - and this proces did not went fluently, I had to restart at least 5 times to have the whole collection done - I notice that Photodirector is terribly slow, eats up resources (CPU is very often up to 100% , but... I've plenty of margin with the rest of the hardware). Knowing that I've not even started editing. What's worse... it's more than regurarly crashing.

I'm on a HP Envy Desktop, I7, 12Gigs RAM, a brand new MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX1050ti, photo's are on a WD Gold 4Tb and applications, Dbase and thumbnails of Photodirector reside on a superfast SSD. W10 system is on an other SSD. My setup and my system are tweaked to be really really fast. All drivers are up to date.

Preview quality is set to standard. Preview cache to 100Tb (because it's on a separate SSD), and in PNG format.
Cache memory setting is ticked, and limited to 10Gb. Hardware acceleration is ticked.

With Lightroom I had no lag, and now I have plenty. I like photodirector a lot. But it's really not workable this way...

Any suggestions?

PS: I know, but don't suggest to split up the collection in several projects... it's not the idea I have how to manage a large collection, and it worked very well in LR

Rgrds.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 17. 2018 13:15

Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Wow. I just have 35000 pictures in one project... And I have no speed problems. (I have to admit, that I don't use the face recognition feature).
The only thing that I can admit is to split the pictures into more than one project.
My sorting of pictures is 'year\event', with event as 'year-month-day - event summary'.
With that sorting, I can put every year in one project. And then, I have not more than 3000 pictures in one project.
It has also the advantage, that if the project file is broken, just one year is broken...

Hatti

I should have read all of your question, but this is the only advice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2018 13:34

Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
MNOP Neal [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 11, 2018 13:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PhotoDirector 5 on a Win 10 notebook with 4GB RAM. We started using it to get pictures organized since we had 20 years of images, which were saved on various desktops and servers. The fact that PhotoDirector could recognize duplicates was very helpful.

Now I find we have one project with 10,175 photos in it, and we can definately see the notebook groaning on loading additional pictures. At times the memory used by PhotoDirector grows beyond the initial 400MB and it feels like it is swapping like crazy. Eventually it gets over it.

RAM increase is not an option here, so I guess I need to break up into smaller projects. Which defeats the utility of recognizing duplicates.

I'm thinking of splitting off major trips, like "Ireland-2017" which has over 1K of pictures, and retaining an overall project for everything else.

Is there any rule of thumb on how many pictures per project?

regards,

Neal
Jutuiz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2014 14:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I figured out that dumping fuji RAW files (and my old Canon RAW files) increases speed dramatically.
I also don't like the results of fuji RAW in PD. The results are not pleasing. Certainly starting from a-RGB.

I depend on shooting RAW "just in case of". Because the most interesting and challenging pictures (lightwise) are the ones that need be reworked on starting from RAW. And I have to admit, that this is only a very small batch.

So... I've changed my workflow.

Everything before 2018 will be managed in LR. So be it.

Everything from 2018 is recorded in fuji compressed RAW. Then I use fuji x-RAW software - flawless in my case - to produce the proper JPEG's on my HDD.

I import these JPEG's in Photodirector to make an album/project. If once in a while I'm not satisfied with the JPEG result, or I like a special profile (fuji acros bw setting f.i.) I will work on it again through x-RAW but with other settings, or - more likely - with other software (Rawtherapee, GIMP, and even maybe LR, etc..).

PS: PD needs to work on it's RAW capability, having PD autostacking JPEG's and RAW in one virtual picture (as LR does) would be a nice start.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 24. 2018 11:59