Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
save changes in a temporary file
PointyHairedBoss
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Feb 17, 2016 12:39 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
When I close Photodirector I get the message "Do you want to save your changes in a temporary file (virtual copy) for further editing?"
1) If I click yes, where is it saved?
2) does the saved copy persist only until the next time the program is closed?
3) Is this any different from me exporting the project before closing the program? Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
[Post New]
Hello PointyHairedBoss,

These are fair questions, to which I've never given much thought.

In the Edit module, that message pops up if you make some edits then switch to another photo or a different module. If you opt to save the "Virtual Photo", it's stored in the cache folder for your project so that when you return to the edit module your edited photo is still in the same state you left it.

It is NOT the same as exporting the photo, which is an actual photo rather than stored data.

The saved virtual copy persists permanently, or until you delete it.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PointyHairedBoss
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Feb 17, 2016 12:39 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello PointyHairedBoss,

In the Edit module, that message pops up if you make some edits then switch to another photo or a different module. If you opt to save the "Virtual Photo", it's stored in the cache folder for your project so that when you return to the edit module your edited photo is still in the same state you left it.

It is NOT the same as exporting the photo, which is an actual photo rather than stored data.

PIX

Thanks for the quick response but I may have confused the issue. I'm referring to saving the project versus saving an edited photo. I'm able to export photos but I'm having a problem saving the project. What I want to do is save an instance of the project so that I can open it later & resume working at the point I left off. When I export a project then reopen it later much of my editing is missing.
I've been using Powerdirector for a while which has "project save" & "project save as" options. I don't know why similar commands are not available with this software. In photodirector, how data is saved & where it is saved is confusing & unintuitive to me. Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
[Post New]
The Save & Save As commands in the File menu refer to indiviuals photos - not projects. Here, I have every version of PhD installed from PhD5. None of them has an option to Save/Save As for a project.

PhD automatically saves your project as you work. Every change you make is recorded in the .phd file, much like other photo management software.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
PointyHairedBoss
[Post New]
Quote The Save & Save As commands in the File menu refer to indiviuals photos - not projects. Here, I have every version of PhD installed from PhD5. None of them has an option to Save/Save As for a project.

PhD automatically saves your project as you work. Every change you make is recorded in the .phd file, much like other photo management software.

PIX

Which file does PhD automatically save the project to? From my experimenting it looks like it saves to the last phd file that has been accessed. Which means that is if I force a project save, the next automatic save would overwrite what I saved? Is that correct? Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
Raff11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2012 00:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello PointyHairedBoss,

PIX

As far a I understand, a virtual photo is created automatically when one enters the Edit module. Why, then, is there a need to create another virtual photo if one switches to another photo or even to another feature for example from skin tools to face tools? It seems unnecessary and confusing. I am editing a couple hunderd photos and frequently want to apply skin smoothing for example to many photos and only then export. It is very annoying to have to essentially duplicate the entire set of photos. Am I missing something here? I seem to remember back in version 10 or 12 this extra step was not necessary.