Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Who uses Power Director?
Charles Edward [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2015 10:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

My wife wants a Mac for the editing software available for it. A PC with PD is obviously a more economical choice though (Specially if I already have PD). One problem I have is that when she goes watching her favorite YouTube channels (usually on beauty and make up), the authors often write down in their description window what equipment and software they use. It's almost always apple with Final Cut Pro X, otherwise, it isn't indicated. This is good advertisement for the mentioned product. sadly, I have yet to find a YouTuber who writes PD in their description box.

I would like to ask you guys to please refer me to your channels and YouTubers who use PD.

Also, if any of you came from the said product and shifted to PD, I would like to ask why. These inputs may help me convince her to use PD instead.

Lastly, if you guys are YouTubers and are using PD for the videos. I think it's a good idea to write down that you used Power Director on the description box, like the way YouTubers are writing the other product on their description box.

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2017 05:48

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I EXCLUSIVELY use PD for all my work. I tried Pinnacle, and downloaded various NLEs like Vegas and tried Corel for a while. It was never a contest, really, this PD interface, with it's vast array of tools and plugins, ease of use, price-point and this wonderful lively forum. Never looked back.

My channel HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I use PowerDirector (Director Suite) for my channel. I also own Pinnacle 21 and tried Magix, Edius and DaVinci, but I like the Director Suite more. Easy to use, very stable (for me) and fast.
Hatti
My channel Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
As far as PCs are concerned, I have no doubt that PD is the best. It's why I purchased PD (and why I am here). It consistently has the fastest rendering time against other programs, and it's really user friendly.
I guess what I would like to compare it to would be final cut pro on a Mac. I don't have a mac, and I don't know anyone to try it out on. Is it worth investing on a Mac or will the investment be better to simply upgrade my PC and Power Director?

So the answer to this question would be user experience. In whatever video I watch or article I read, people play it safe by saying "in the end it depends on your personal preference"... It's a safe answer, but doesn't really help since I will need a big investment to experience the Mac. I was hoping someone tried out a Mac and shared what he liked about PD vs Mac and vice versa, if anyone had such experience.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Can't you buy a Mac and dual boot? Not sure if you can dual boot a PC into a Mac. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
My videos are from our stage shows at the senior center. Most are the tap dancers, our Recycled Rockettes.
I also produce a DVD for those that buy them in support of the center.
My YouTube
There are 371,123 registered users here. I suppose a great number use PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2017 21:29

Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Consider the fact that Powerdirector software is designed for PCs, to use on a Mac, you have to use a Windows simulator .
On a Mac I think it is called 'Boot Camp'. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Hang on - is your wife into beauty and makeup as a subject OR video editors and their various benefits.

Seems a question that needs answering before making a potentially expensive system purchase decision.

I have certian genres of videos I like, but its the subject not the method of creation that entertains me.

Yes I have a decent camcorder and enjoy processing my videos using PD, but when watching others, their content far outweighs how they editied them!

I chose PD from reports views and reviews - not because my favourite videos were made using it. I think the quality of camcorder and the skill of the operator and post productive skills are far more contributive to the quality and interest of the final product - than the editor used in getting there.

And if you both run the same software on the same OS I think the benefits for you both would far outweigh any debateable benefits one piece of software would have over the other.

Quote Hi Guys,

My wife wants a Mac for the editing software available for it. A PC with PD is obviously a more economical choice though (Specially if I already have PD). One problem I have is that when she goes watching her favorite YouTube channels (usually on beauty and make up), the authors often write down in their description window what equipment and software they use. It's almost always apple with Final Cut Pro X, otherwise, it isn't indicated. This is good advertisement for the mentioned product. sadly, I have yet to find a YouTuber who writes PD in their description box.

I would like to ask you guys to please refer me to your channels and YouTubers who use PD.

Also, if any of you came from the said product and shifted to PD, I would like to ask why. These inputs may help me convince her to use PD instead.

Lastly, if you guys are YouTubers and are using PD for the videos. I think it's a good idea to write down that you used Power Director on the description box, like the way YouTubers are writing the other product on their description box.

Thanks
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can't you buy a Mac and dual boot? Not sure if you can dual boot a PC into a Mac.

Hi Barry, a PC which boots up to Mac is a hackintosh. Not ry recommended. Buying a Mac to dual boot will have the same investment as buying a Mac. Will it be worth it?
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Consider the fact that Powerdirector software is designed for PCs, to use on a Mac, you have to use a Windows simulator .
On a Mac I think it is called 'Boot Camp'.

Yes, exactly my point. The investment to try out the other is much bigger than just simply downloading a trial version of another program. Its my dilemma. I can't simply install something and try it out, it needs a big investment to do so. So is the user experience of using a Mac and the mentioned software big enough a difference to justify such an investment? My wife is the end user.

Some comments I've heard is that for the mac,there will be less tweaking necessary and less problems arising from wrong drivers and all. This is because of the limited selection of hardware they offer and the single source manufacturer unlike in PC. The cost is exhorbitantly bigger though... So is it worth it?

If I had an extra million dollars lying around, I probably wouldn't mind purchasing the Mac and the software and trying it out, but I don't have that amount yet. So I have to decide whether it is really worth it to trade in my savings for that. My other option is to upgrade my PC and hopefully transfer PD to the new one (and/or upgrade my PD to latest version). The main difference in cost is that I have a wide choice of PC options to suit any budget, whereas in Mac, the choices available are few and all quite expensive. I think it is excessive to purchase both a PC upgrade and a Mac with it's software.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 18. 2017 17:04

Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hang on - is your wife into beauty and makeup as a subject OR video editors and their various benefits.

Seems a question that needs answering before making a potentially expensive system purchase decision.

I have certian genres of videos I like, but its the subject not the method of creation that entertains me.

Yes I have a decent camcorder and enjoy processing my videos using PD, but when watching others, their content far outweighs how they editied them!

I chose PD from reports views and reviews - not because my favourite videos were made using it. I think the quality of camcorder and the skill of the operator and post productive skills are far more contributive to the quality and interest of the final product - than the editor used in getting there.

And if you both run the same software on the same OS I think the benefits for you both would far outweigh any debateable benefits one piece of software would have over the other.

Yes, I agree with you. So the question here is, what hardware and software should we use? You are right that we will probably share the setup since having 2 computers will be expensive.

She would like to make the videos showing her reviewing some products. We will need the video setup including the cameras, lights, computer, and software.

So far, my cameras don't have microphone inputs, although I already have the mics. She would prefer the external mics to plug into the camera instead of having to record on a separate device and then syncing the sound. (One reason why I chose PD was for it's auto sound syncing feature, but she doesn't want to go through that route). So I might look for another camera... I've also built my own lights already. I own a copy of PD, but will need to purchase a faster computer (mine is terribly slow for video editing).

So my wife is requesting her equipment based on the equipment of people she watches (who are beauty product reviewers). These people she watches has influenced her, and is obviously her guide. Many of them use cameras with mic inputs, and many of them indicate using final cut pro x and Mac. She has the impression that the final cut pro x and Mac will be easiest to use for her.

Now, I already own PD (but cannot get a good user experience from it because of my slow computer). I've never used final cut pro x. Every website I looked to compares PD to Vegas and Premiere, but not to final cut pro x. So I can't figure out which one gives a superior experience.

So in conclusion, I will be spending some money either for a Mac and it's software or for a faster PC with PD. Money aside, the PC with PD is much cheaper. So the question is, how is the user experience between these 2 setup?

Now this is the PD forums (and yes I have PD), so I presume people here are PD users. I am hoping to find someone who has used both the Mac the final cut pro x and PD and can tell me why he/she prefers PD over the Mac and final cut pro x setup based on user experience (I presume he/she will prefer PD since this is the PD forums). Aside from being cheaper and running on Windows, what other advantages does PD offer over final cut pro x?

Now, for the title of my thread, I wanted to show her the channels of people who use PD. She tells me that no one seems to be using it to make their channels. For one, no one she follows indicates using PD on their channels, unlike those who use Final Cut Pro X, who really write it on their description boxes. I am hoping to find people whose channels are similar to those she watches (beauty reviewers), to help me convince her to try out the PC and PD solution instead of the Mac and Final Cut Pro X solution.

Lastly,I would like to encourage everyone to put PD into their YouTube description boxes. If we really like PD, doing so may encourage others to use PD. Putting final cut pro x in the description of the channels my wife follows certainly seems to have influenced her.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your replies.
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
I just looked at Final Cut Pro X - its nearly 4x more expensive than PD - possibly 4x more sophisticated??? - but do you need / can you use / justify such a package - if it were true?. If it is not 4x better - why pay that?
Not to mention the inability to buy/build a tailored system to match your needs. I built my own PC to the spec I wanted and even if I were unable to do that there are many small PC shops who will enable you to build your dream machine. Apples in a box to their specs are expensive.
I knew there was a reason I opted for Windows.smile
Not sure you will ever find someone whose migrated from Final Cut to PD for to do so would represent a significant cost for both hardware and software and for maybe debateable benefits.
Likewise - a swap from Windows/PD to Mac and Final Cut would also be very costly and probably unjustified.
Are the 2 pieces of software THAT different - I doubt it. Would you be able to detect the differences between the final videos - again I doubt it. Cameras and editing skills will have a far greater end product impact.
Good luck in your challenge - I wish you well.
Keep this forum up to date with your thoughts and decisions - for I am sure we all would like to know what you decide and why.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
To my knowledge, Final-Cut pro is commerical software used by professionals and people in the movie industry. It is also very expensive and only works on a high power Mac computer.
Powerdirector is a consumer level software and is a easier to learn software. Plus it costs much less money, It works on lower level Windows computers, faster computers make the experience much better, but Powerdirector will work on lessor computers albeit slow.
My computer specs are in my signature. My computer is getting to be old, in that it is 8 years old. It was one of the fastest I could afford 8 years ago. It still does a pretty good job in Powerdirector 16. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Final cut has been a more intergrated product than Pd, until PD 16 came along. PD is getting better all the time, still a ways to go but I've been with it since ver 11 !
My B&B Youtube channel Larry's Lodge B&B, Keswick

Art club Youtube channel Keswick Society Of Art
I should mention that I've been using Director Suite ! But I have been playing with Davinci Resolve 14, wow !

Cheers
Dave F.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2017 16:40

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Final cut has been a more intergrated product than Pd, until PD 16 came along. PD is getting better all the time, stilla ways to go but I've been with it since ver 11 !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxQI6OKjHm9_Kbk4LOCMgQ/videos

Cheers

Hi Kyle,

What makes Final Cut Pro "more integrated". Is it like it PD + Color Director + Audio Director all in one?
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Final cut has been a more intergrated product than Pd, until PD 16 came along. PD is getting better all the time, stilla ways to go but I've been with it since ver 11 !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxQI6OKjHm9_Kbk4LOCMgQ/videos

Cheers

Hi Kyle,

What makes Final Cut Pro "more integrated". Is it like it PD + Color Director + Audio Director all in one?

Yes, you don't have to leave one application to go to another. I've only used FCP once and that was a few years back, I was quite impressed with it but I don't own an Apple puter so I never bought into it.
One of the really nice things about PowerDirector is the ability to save your project for completion later on & to be able "PACK" finished projects so that you can add to them or even tweak them at a later date! The Packing means that you can delete all the media you don't want without loosing the bits you used, resulting in saving drive space. Neat.
The choice of which edit suite to go for is really up to you. Have you thought of a seperate PC for yourself and a Mac for the boss ? That way there'd be no waiting for someone to get orf the puter innocent
Happy editing what ever you choose.
Dave F. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
I pretty much only use PowerDirector. I've even made a bunch of PowerDirector tutorials on my channel that you may have already come across. You can check them out at www.youtube.com/kevinvandytech if you want to see what the editing process on PowerDirector is like.
Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I pretty much only use PowerDirector. I've even made a bunch of PowerDirector tutorials on my channel that you may have already come across. You can check them out at www.youtube.com/kevinvandytech if you want to see what the editing process on PowerDirector is like.

Hi Kevin,. I have watched a few power director tutorials as well as tutorials for final cut pro. Their processes look very similar. Although I got a bit more confused with the final cut pro one probably because Im not so familiar with the apple filesystem. With their similarities, it makes me really think that PD is a much better deal, from this stand point.
[Post New]
To OP:
The PD is home-use software with licensing only to that.That's what the End User License Agreement states.
Once you get to have a lot of videos and make money from that, you can be noticed, and you might get into trouble by using a non-professional product. On Windows side, there are products that are professional, but they cost also 4-6x the money. Part of that is the licenses to various video formats (containers) used.
Performance-vise the PD with a decent CPU and last generation video card is top-notch. Not even Final-Cut Pro on a Mac comes close. But the experience on a slower computer can be frustrating. A decent used workstation can be bought on eBay. Add SSD as boot drive, plenty of RAM and paired with a modern video card (nVidia or ATI) is all you need.
Now, if your wife thinks she needs a Mac, you won't win. It's the social status that she perceives that will provide in her little circle, that's all, and you can do nothing about that.

PS: My wife really wanted an ugly Kia Soul and she got it in the end. Now even if she might not be happy with it, it is not my fault

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2017 20:37

Charles Edward [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote To OP:
The PD is home-use software with licensing only to that.That's what the End User License Agreement states.
Once you get to have a lot of videos and make money from that, you can be noticed, and you might get into trouble by using a non-professional product. On Windows side, there are products that are professional, but they cost also 4-6x the money. Part of that is the licenses to various video formats (containers) used.
Performance-vise the PD with a decent CPU and last generation video card is top-notch. Not even Final-Cut Pro on a Mac comes close. But the experience on a slower computer can be frustrating. A decent used workstation can be bought on eBay. Add SSD as boot drive, plenty of RAM and paired with a modern video card (nVidia or ATI) is all you need.
Now, if your wife thinks she needs a Mac, you won't win. It's the social status that she perceives that will provide in her little circle, that's all, and you can do nothing about that.

PS: My wife really wanted an ugly Kia Soul and she got it in the end. Now even if she might not be happy with it, it is not my fault

Hi Sonic,

Thanks for this. You are quite right that she will eventually get what she liked. I haven't purchased the Mac yet as I am still researching for he best deal.

What you mentioned in the end-user agreement that PD is a home product and cannot be used for videos that make money is something that concerns me. I actually started a new thread in the "previous versions of PD" category which asks the question "Why is PD not considered Professional". Your reply seems to answer my question quite well. It opens a few more questions though like why doesn't cyberljnk make a professional grade product for Hollywood and moviemakers? And of course, when you say "we can get into trouble if we use it on materials that make money", what does "trouble" and "make money" mean? Does YouTube monetezation qualify as "make money" or for wedding vdeographers, do their videos qualify, or is it when our product is launched as a commercial movie that qualifies? I suppose though these questions will have to go under a different thread. Then the definition of "trouble", are we going to be brought to court for copyright infringement for using a product that we are licensed to use? I don't know if any movie producer was ever brought to trouble for using a home camera to make his movie for instance. I really don't know, but looking at PD, it seems very powerful and could really be used for serious stuff.

Some news though... Since I haven't purchased a Mac yet,my wife downloaded PD for her Android and started using it. She seems to be warming up to the idea of PD . Does the Android version sync/link up to the PC version well? If they do, then it's another plus point for PD since she can start work on her phone and finish it on the PC.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2018 23:53