Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Graduated Filter Effect Revisited
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again. At the risk of boring folks I will update update you with what I have found.

Remember I was trying to darken skies in my clips by using Colour Director. This is possible using the Graduating tool in the Regional Adjustment pallet by selecting the area and then altering the exposure down. However to apply this effect to a number of clips I thought it made sense to create a Custom Preset. Unfortunately although you appear to save a preset it does not actually work when you try to apply it to a new clip. You appear only able to create Custom Presets using the Global Adjustment tools. I don't know if this is a bug in Colour Director or intentional. I could not find anything in the Help file that explained this.

Regards

Nigel
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi again. At the risk of boring folks I will update update you with what I have found.

Remember I was trying to darken skies in my clips by using Colour Director. This is possible using the Graduating tool in the Regional Adjustment pallet by selecting the area and then altering the exposure down. However to apply this effect to a number of clips I thought it made sense to create a Custom Preset. Unfortunately although you appear to save a preset it does not actually work when you try to apply it to a new clip. You appear only able to create Custom Presets using the Global Adjustment tools. I don't know if this is a bug in Colour Director or intentional. I could not find anything in the Help file that explained this.

Regards

Nigel

Well, Nigel

I have tried all sorts of combinations and I cant get it work. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nigel -

I think you're running into trouble trying to combine masking with adjustment presets in CDR, if I've understood what you and Robert have been discussing.

Have you considered using a simple overlay in a higher numbered track? I've made a few (5) attached in the ZIP file. They range in transparency.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Nigel -

I think you're running into trouble trying to combine masking with adjustment presets in CDR, if I've understood what you and Robert have been discussing.

Have you considered using a simple overlay in a higher numbered track? I've made a few (5) attached in the ZIP file. They range in transparency.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony

Yes I originally tried that by making one in Photoshop but my effort was not very convincing; so I started trying with Colour Director and the result seemed much better and it was then I started trying to make a Preset for future use. I will download your zip file and play about with your solution.

Thanks

Nigel
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Nigel -

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony

Yes I originally tried that by making one in Photoshop but my effort was not very convincing; so I started trying with Colour Director and the result seemed much better and it was then I started trying to make a Preset for future use. I will download your zip file and play about with your solution.

Thanks

Nigel

Tony I could not find your Zip File!

Nigel
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's because I hid it down here embarassed
 Filename
Sky Vignette.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1005 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
236 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's because I hid it down here embarassed

Tony although that works it is not as good as the Colour Director solution as it creates a grey graduation rather than just decreasing the exposure at the corners. So a blue sky has a grey corner rather than a deeper blue. I am being picky I know but I do thank you for the effort you put into this. I will just have to use CD on each clip individually to get the effect I want.

I think I can see why CD Presets won't work with Regional Adjustments but it would have been helpful if the Help file had explained this or the option was greyed out.

Regards

Nigel