Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changing volume of entire clips
Luptonium [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2017 06:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have gone back and forth through every option, flipped several times through the manual, and tried googling and serching both the forum and the support site, cannot find anything on how to do this.

I am doing a project, nearing the end, have worked all night on the thing and now I just need to fix audio levels, but Power director just seems to want to let me use points to change levels in one specific spot and I am trying to change the volume of entire clips at one time. EVERY OTHER PROGRAM I have ever used for editing makes this option easy and apparant, I dont want to need to go every 6 frames to change the volume of a long piece of music or voice or whatever I am working on. This is the least user friendly thing I have found so far in an otherwise great program.

And I apologise if I sound like I am angry but I have been trying to fix something that seems simple for the past 3 hours.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Definitely not as intuitive as other apps.

Select the clip
Click the Audio mixing Tool (upper left just under the lightening bolt)
Depending on which track or how many clips you are using, (mine was Audio 1) slide the adjuster under the db. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Pardon me if I am incorrect, but the horizontal slider adjusts the volume of the entire track.

To adjust a particular clip's volume, across the entire clip, you must use the vertical slider. Go to the first frame of the clip and when you click the vertical slider it will create a key-point, raise or lower to desired volume. Go to the END of the clip and repeat. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To adjust a particular clip's volume, across the entire clip, you must use the vertical slider. Go to the first frame of the clip and when you click the vertical slider it will create a key-point, raise or lower to desired volume. Go to the END of the clip and repeat.
Definitely not as easy as other vdieo editors and too many steps. Other editors, clip volume can be done from the Timeline. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
GGR, certainly it can be adjusted from the timelines, but creating key-points using the cursor, although quick, is difficult to get EXACTLY to the volume you desire. I always wind up a few points up or down from the level I am seeking, though few would ever notice. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To adjust a particular clip's volume, across the entire clip, you must use the vertical slider. Go to the first frame of the clip and when you click the vertical slider it will create a key-point, raise or lower to desired volume. Go to the END of the clip and repeat.
Definitely not as easy as other vdieo editors and too many steps. Other editors, clip volume can be done from the Timeline.

So true, CL mucked it up big time when they transitioned from PD11 to PD12 and worse yet kept the bizarre logic through PD15. In PD11 one could very easily change the volume of the whole clip, via the timeline or audio room, as the timeline scrubber at the left end of the clip controlled the entire clip volume.

Discussed in the day when released here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30556.page#post_box_167687 but that's as far as it went.

One can even be given the illusion that entire clip volume is being adjusted in PD15 with control of the left edge. For instance, take a 10min clip and split at the 1min mark and delete the 9 min section, a typical edit perhaps. Now change the volume with the vertical slider in the audio mixing room for this 1 min clip with the timeline scrubber at the left edge of the clip, say increase 10dB for this test. One will see the right-side volume of the clip move as well, it actually moves at 9/10 the amplitude scale so the adjustment is 9.4dB as the volume zero anchor is still the 0dB adjustment at the 10min original clip length. Bizarre indeed.

I so long for a version that CL takes all the free knowledge provided in these forums by many and simply corrects the many anomalies, I'd think editors would be pleasantly happy.

Jeff
[Post New]
I just need to fix audio levels, but Power director just seems to want to let me use points to change levels in one specific spot and I am trying to change the volume of entire clips at one time.

I guess what you want is "Audio ducking" feature?

If yes, it's not in current version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2017 06:11

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Pedro369 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2015 05:17 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Although it's not the only bug, this is perhaps the most frustrating aspect I run up against in this program.

I currently have a project with about 60 odd clips in which the audio content is being used. To have to adjust each of these by creating a key at the beginning of the clip and the end of the clip is just ridiculous.

I've remained loyal to PD for a number of years but will be moving elsewhere soon as the number of bugs that have been constantly in the forums for years just never get attended to in new versions.

PD, it's time to do better, much better. PowerDirector Deluxe 13 OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit
MB: Asrock FM2A78M-HD+ CPU: 3.40 GHz AMD A10-7700K APU RAM: Corsair 16GB (2X8GB)
DDR3 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD SSD: Adata 256GB SP900 Series
HDD: WD 4TB Red NAS 64MB Cache
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Although it's not the only bug, this is perhaps the most frustrating aspect I run up against in this program.

I currently have a project with about 60 odd clips in which the audio content is being used. To have to adjust each of these by creating a key at the beginning of the clip and the end of the clip is just ridiculous.

I've remained loyal to PD for a number of years but will be moving elsewhere soon as the number of bugs that have been constantly in the forums for years just never get attended to in new versions.

PD, it's time to do better, much better.

You are using PowerDirector 13? Time for you to upgrade. This has been fixed in PowerDirector since version 16. You no longer have to do this.

Ash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2019 22:46

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Although it's not the only bug, this is perhaps the most frustrating aspect I run up against in this program.

PD, it's time to do better, much better.

What you can do in PD16, 17, and 18 is move the mouse in like the middle of the clip audio range, the cursor will turn to a double arrow, left mouse click and moving now controls the whole clip.

If you adjust just the beginning or the end of the clip audio, only those two locations will be adjusted independently and linear taper between.

Jeff
Joel_garner [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2022 18:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
that is a bit annoying. i want one slider that does the whole clip withoout me having to go from one and of the clip to the other to the vhe volume the same. this is one of the anoying things about this program
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote that is a bit annoying. i want one slider that does the whole clip withoout me having to go from one and of the clip to the other to the vhe volume the same. this is one of the anoying things about this program

Hi,
You dont actually say which version of PDR you are running but as Jeff said ...."What you can do in PD16, 17, and 18 is move the mouse in like the middle of the clip audio range, the cursor will turn to a double arrow, left mouse click and moving now controls the whole clip."
It also works in PDR19 and 20.

I think that is what you need?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
TOM. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2016 22:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
In PD15, you can drag the video clip to a different row (like video 2). Then you can click on it and use the horizontal slider in Audio Mixing Room to adjust just that audio without adjusting all the audio on the main timeline. You can also right-click the video and "Unlink the Video and Audio" if you want to just drag the audio part of it to a different row before adjusting the volume.

I hate trying to create little dots to move at the beginning and end of a video clip.