where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD- video quality issues *please assist
Reply to this topic
digital world 916 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 30, 2016 20:03 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
To whom it may concern;

I have been a long time Cyberlink customer and have recently started using prower producer 6 to author DVD's...

the end result is not up to par. if I "produce" from PD15 a mpeg 2 file and upload it to Youtube it looks great. If I take that same file and author it to a DVD it looks very sub par compared to the You Tube video. I have tried MANY different settings and am considering trying someother authoring software because my DVD's video quality looks very poor.

my computer specs:

16.0 GB intel core i7-6700k cpu 4.01 ghz

graphics card is a GEforce gtx 1070

I have tried all the settings when "producing" from PD15; DVD HQ. frame rate is high / bit rate is low /

I have slowed my write to disc speed down as much as the program allows me and STILL POOR IMAGES.

please advise or tell me what more I can tell you to get a quality finished product that I am satisified with.

thank you
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6128 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have been a long time Cyberlink customer and have recently started using prower producer 6 to author DVD's...

You are not making sense here. Let us know what is the resolution, bit rate, frame rate, and format of the source video files and the produced video files. You have already stated that the mpeg-2 file uploaded to YT looks great. You can use win explorer/properties/details or in PD15 right mouse click on the source and the produced file and choose View properties.

You may qualify to use PP6 to produce an optical disc on dvd that is the same resolution of the one uploaded to YT. Give us the needed details so users can assist.
sumerJ [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Nov 28, 2013 05:37 Messages: 377 Offline
[Post New]
letting us know how you watch the DVD-video disc and you feel poor quality is important.

Usually, watching DVD-video disc on large TV screen make you feel quality poor than watch YT on PC or smart phone.
[Post New]
Quote I have been a long time Cyberlink customer and have recently started using prower producer 6 to author DVD's...

You are not making sense here. Let us know what is the resolution, bit rate, frame rate, and format of the source video files and the produced video files. You have already stated that the mpeg-2 file uploaded to YT looks great. You can use win explorer/properties/details or in PD15 right mouse click on the source and the produced file and choose View properties.

You may qualify to use PP6 to produce an optical disc on dvd that is the same resolution of the one uploaded to YT. Give us the needed details so users can assist.

souce file: .MTS

frame width 1280

fram height 720

data rate 12302 kps

total bitrate 13838 kps

frame rate 59 frames/ second

file size: 118,200

after putting thru PD 15

file type is .mpg

frame width 1280

frame height 720

data rate 8300 kbps

total bitrate 8556 kbps

frame rate 29 frames / second

file size 73748

Now the second file when I upload it to youtube or watch the MPG file on my computer it is very clear.

when i burn the second file to a DVD and play it on Cyberlink power DVD 16 or play it on a DVD player it is pixelated, blurry and not nearly as good video quality...

please advise or ask next question to help me with my issue.

thank you
[Post New]
Quote letting us know how you watch the DVD-video disc and you feel poor quality is important.

Usually, watching DVD-video disc on large TV screen make you feel quality poor than watch YT on PC or smart phone.

if i watch it (the DVD) on the computer drive with cyberlink power dvd 16; or on a DVD player to a Television it looks the same...pixilated blurry not clear at all.
[Post New]
"You may qualify to use PP6 to produce an optical disc on dvd that is the same resolution of the one uploaded to YT."

pleae advise on how to perform the above item..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2017 00:40

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6128 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the detailed information on the video files. You have the right tools in both PD15 and PP6. Both will do what you need to do to have video that is virtually indistinguishable from the source video and better than what you uploaded to YT.

YT allows you to upload avc 60p video in case you did not know that.

You can create an avchd disc that is encoded avc 1280 x 720/60p (24Mbps) to hold 20 min. or 1920 x 1060/60i to hold approximately 30 min. of created video. Do not use hardware encoding and svrt may allow you to hold 40 min. of avc 1280 x 720/60p video on a dvd-4.7 GB disc. Double these numbers for a dvd+r dl disc. This is high definition as compared to the sd resolution of 720 x 480/60i on dvd that you did not like.

A BD player will be required to play back an avchd disc. A higher end BD player that can play back avchd II disc will be required to play back the 60p discs.

I do not have a sample of your source file to determine if svrt will work but you can determine that yourself. You may play those avchd disc on your pc using say vlc. I don't beleive a BD drive is necessary.
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for the detailed information on the video files. You have the right tools in both PD15 and PP6. Both will do what you need to do to have video that is virtually indistinguishable from the source video and better than what you uploaded to YT.

YT allows you to upload avc 60p video in case you did not know that.

You can create an avchd disc that is encoded avc 1280 x 720/60p (24Mbps) to hold 20 min. or 1920 x 1060/60i to hold approximately 30 min. of created video. Do not use hardware encoding and svrt may allow you to hold 40 min. of avc 1280 x 720/60p video on a dvd-4.7 GB disc. Double these numbers for a dvd+r dl disc. This is high definition as compared to the sd resolution of 720 x 480/60i on dvd that you did not like.

A BD player will be required to play back an avchd disc. A higher end BD player that can play back avchd II disc will be required to play back the 60p discs.

I do not have a sample of your source file to determine if svrt will work but you can determine that yourself. You may play those avchd disc on your pc using say vlc. I don't beleive a BD drive is necessary.

if I want better resolution for standard DVD playback; How can I achieve that?
[Post New]
Hello digital world 916,

You've had some excellent advice from sumerJ and tomasc on your DVD quality issue. Comparing 720p MPEG-2 clips (uploaded to YouTube) with DVD quality isn't completely valid.

When a DVD is played in a player there is, by necessity, upscaling. This would occur, also, watching a 720p clip on a Full HD/UHD TV. Your produced 1280x720 clip & DVD have similar bitrates, but the DVD requires more upscaling for viewing.

tomasc's idea of creating an AVCHD DVD (played on a BR player or PS3/4) would give you equivalent picture quality.

Quote: if I want better resolution for standard DVD playback; How can I achieve that?

Standard DVD is limited in resolution, as described above, but you can maximise PQ by burning at lower speed & using the best quality discs.

PIX PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
Reply to this topic