Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Brand new PC, and PD15 upgrade question
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I upgraded to PD15 from PD14 and installed it no problem on my PC.

Then just the other day my wife got me a new PC! Lovely wife and lucky me!

So, I still have time to download the files from my account. But this new PC does not have PD14 or any PD in it.

My question is: Can I do a cold install of PD15? Or must I first somehow get PD14 into the new computer first?

Thanks! ~Tom~
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all,

So, I still have time to download the files from my account. But this new PC does not have PD14 or any PD in it.

My question is: Can I do a cold install of PD15? Or must I first somehow get PD14 into the new computer first?

Thanks!

As far as I know, an upgrade is an upgrade. If you could install it on a PC with no previous version installed, everyone would buy the upgrade (cheaper). When I upgraded from PD12 to PD 14, it uninstalled PD12. I wanted both, so I returned the upgrade and bought the full version of PD14. I don't know whether current upgrades uninstall the previous version or not. Others may chime in... Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all,

Thanks!

I'd call the place you purchased the upgrade and ask them for help. In the past, if you tried to install the upgrade, it would ask you to make sure the previous version was instralled OR it asked for proof that you owned the earlier version. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
I bought it direct from Cyberlink. And it did not uninstall PD14, I can still use it.

Thanks for the comments.

Still looking for a definitive answer. ~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
I contacted Cyberlink technical support and learned that it is quite easy to install the upgrade without having the previous software "installed" on the new PC. However, you must have your CD license from your previously purchased PowerDirector software in order for the upgrade to install itself. It will ask directly for the previous CD license. Once it is inserted, the upgrade goes ahead as normal. ~Tom~