Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I crop a video without it automatically zooming in? Please help
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
Please help with this little trouble I have. I'm aiming to crop the top and a little bit of the bottom of this video on the right, but it keeps on zooming in after cropping, so the aspect ratio is zoomed way out of ratio. How do I do this via powerdirector?

Any help is appreciated^

Someone please correct me:

Here is a video link PD15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2vKdsbmRg&feature=youtu.be

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2016 01:53

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Please help with this little trouble I have. I'm aiming to crop the top and a little bit of the bottom of this video on the right, but it keeps on zooming in after cropping, so the aspect ratio is zoomed way out of ratio. How do I do this via powerdirector? Any help is appreciated^ Someone please correct me: Here is a video link PD15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2vKdsbmRg&feature=youtu.be
A freeform crop will either distort the remaining image or leave black bars above or alongside. If you want to avoid distortion and fill the screen, you must use the original aspect ratio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2016 10:20

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Please help with this little trouble I have. I'm aiming to crop the top and a little bit of the bottom of this video on the right, but it keeps on zooming in after cropping, so the aspect ratio is zoomed way out of ratio. How do I do this via powerdirector? Any help is appreciated^ Someone please correct me: Here is a video link PD15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2vKdsbmRg&feature=youtu.be
I can't seem to grasp what your screencap is aiming to demonstrate, however any cropping of video or images always inevitably leads to zooming. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Quote Please help with this little trouble I have. I'm aiming to crop the top and a little bit of the bottom of this video on the right, but it keeps on zooming in after cropping, so the aspect ratio is zoomed way out of ratio. How do I do this via powerdirector?

So you want to have black bars in places that you "cropped"? Then don't crop, add masking bars on top of those regions!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You are confusing everyone with the YT video. You appear to want to overlay a portrait 9:16 clip on track 2 over a portion of 16:9 background video.

Try this: Highlight that clip on track 2. Open PiP Designer instead. Resize the clip and use a mask. This will get you going in the right direction. I have done it before.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Trekz -

The screen capture was a bit confusing. Maybe you didn't explain what it was you are trying to do.

If what I think you're trying to do is right, then tomasc's got the solution nailed for you. It looks like you've shot a clip with your DJI Phantom & also filmed the monitor on your flight controller... and you want to overlay the monitor video... but you only want the actual monitor to be visible.

If that's the case, just do as tomasc has suggested:

1. DJI clip in Track 2 & monitor clip in Track 2

2. Resize & reposition monitor clip

3. Apply mask to monitor clip to cut out surrounds

4. Don't crop anything laughing

... and you'll get a video that looks something like this:

Screenshot attached showing mask designer.

If none of the above is correct, maybe you could explain exactly what you're trying to do.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Monitor clip overlaid & masked.png]
 Filename
Monitor clip overlaid & masked.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
297 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Trekz -

The screen capture was a bit confusing. Maybe you didn't explain what it was you are trying to do.

If what I think you're trying to do is right, then tomasc's got the solution nailed for you. It looks like you've shot a clip with your DJI Phantom & also filmed the monitor on your flight controller... and you want to overlay the monitor video... but you only want the actual monitor to be visible.

If that's the case, just do as tomasc has suggested:

1. DJI clip in Track 2 & monitor clip in Track 2

2. Resize & reposition monitor clip

3. Apply mask to monitor clip to cut out surrounds

4. Don't crop anything laughing

... and you'll get a video that looks something like this:

Screenshot attached showing mask designer.

If none of the above is correct, maybe you could explain exactly what you're trying to do.

Cheers - Tony

Thank you everyone for helping. I actually cropped it with some android app, imported to the computer, and uploaded it before I actually used what you guys recommended, but I will definately note this post for future reference. Thank you again! Beautiful shot btw^

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2016 23:21

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Trekz -

I can take no credit for that video clip. It was downloaded from a DJI users forum or review site (can't recall). The clip with the nice reflections in that other thread was provided by another member of this forum. All I was doing was using other people's work!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!