Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speech or Dialog Bubble
Bouyscout
Newbie Location: Trinidad and Tobago Joined: Jun 08, 2016 17:48 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I can't seem to figure out how to insert a speech or dialog bubble, position and scale it for the photo. What am I doing wrong that I can't seem to figure this out?

I downloaded several of the dialog balloons from the Director Zone site. I insert it as a title element and am able to edit the text portion of the dialog bubble but cannot determine how to resize and position the bubble over the video or photo element. It does not appear to be scalable or resizable. The balloon is centered in the screen. I can delete it as a background image but otherwise cannot select it for editing.

I've tried this with several of the balloons and the problem is the same.

I'm usinng the 30 day trial version of PD14 with the intention of purchasing it if it will do what I want it to do but this is frustrating and I can't find any tutorials or videos showing how this is done.
[Thumb - Check me.jpg]
 Filename
Check me.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Check me 1
 Filesize
135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
[Thumb - Check me 2.jpg]
 Filename
Check me 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Check me 2
 Filesize
265 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
36 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Those Dialogue Balloons are titles that you downloaded from the DZ. Simply use Title Designer to highlight, then move or modify and resize whatever you want on the preview screen. See the attached.

Let us know if this helps. sealed
[Thumb - Dialogue Balloon.jpg]
 Filename
Dialogue Balloon.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
highlight, then move
 Filesize
174 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2016 20:52

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
From your screenshots, it looks to me like that speech bubble has been added as a background, rather than importing an image into Title Designer.

Typically, you'd be able to highlight the image (speech bubble) in the timeline then move and resize it. Check the attached screen capture.

See if this one works for you - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/131986161

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Resize & Move Speech Bubble.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
507 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bouyscout
Newbie Location: Trinidad and Tobago Joined: Jun 08, 2016 17:48 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, both of you, for your answers. I noticed in your picture and video (thanks! that's ever so helpful!) that the balloon portion of the image is a separate entity and for whatever reason, the Title item that I import does not show that as a separate PIP item.

Tony, I downloaded the title item for which you provided a link and experienced the same issue; the text is shown as an item but the balloon image is a background and I am unable to edit it.

I have since discovered if I create the title item as save it as my own, I am able to edit the PIP image (resize and reposition). I just need to find a good source of balloon images and create my own rather than using the Titles from DZ. Unless you have a better suggestion.

Don't know if it's because I'm using the trial version or if there's something else going on but when I try to edit the title item, there is only the text portion shown for editing and the image is considered a background.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's very strange those templates appear in Title Designer without the graphic on a separate track... but the separate track shows up after you "Save As". Very strange! surprised

Edit: What you're seeing is NOT a limitation of the trial version.

Have you tried expanding/shrinking the preview window/timelines in Title Designer? As you can see, when you import an image, it should be displayed on a separate image track.

Recently, I came across a great FREE graphics resource - http://mediamilitia.com/category/freebies/ - and one of the packs available for download happens to be a batch of 100+ speech/thought bubbles in .png format... http://mediamilitia.com/thought-and-speech-bubbles-pack-104-free-vectors-and-images/

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 09. 2016 14:44

Bouyscout
[Post New]
Yeah, there's something not right about this. I can make a new Title and bring in an image and have some element of control but it's limited. For instance, I am unable to choose any of the controls in the Object Settings but the image has grips and I can scale it and move it around that way.

But after I save the new Title, the image (balloon) becomes a background and it is no longer selectable for editing.

I've tried using images (dialog balloons) from several different sources both PNG and JPG and it doesn't make a difference.

I wonder if it's because I running Windows 10 that I'm seeing these issues.

Thanks again for the effort.

Bouyscout
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi again -

Quote: I wonder if it's because I running Windows 10 that I'm seeing these issues.

I was about to post screenshots to show that it couldn't possibly be an issue with Win10 compatibility, BUT I was stopped in my tracks when I discovered you may be right!

On a Win 10 machine, I made a new template containign a speech bubble and text - saved it - all good - went to modify it and BAM! Exactly as you've described. The graphic does not appear on its own track and is unselectable.

The alternative (until this glitch is rectified) is to make your title without the speech bubble and insert the graphic on a separate track in the main timeline.

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Tony and Bouyscout!

Your discussion about dialogue bubbles started giving me some ideas on how to use these and have them follow the opbect on a timeline via the use of "Motion Tracker" but, Tony's experiences, "I made a new template containign a speech bubble and text - saved it - all good - went to modify it and BAM! Exactly as you've described. The graphic does not appear on its own track and is unselectable." Granted, Tony was working on a Windows 10 platform and I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium, but nonetheless, I'll hold off until an answer can be found to the problem is sorted.

A thought occurred to me as I write this, there could be a workaround but it involves using Microsoft Publisher which has a selection of shapes labelled "callouts", these shapes include several styles of thought or dialogue bubbles which can have text typed in, adjust the thickness of the bubble's border, add a colour, then copy and paste to Paint, or Paint.Net(if possible), save as a PNG transparency which can then be superimposed on stills or video clips and size/position adjusted in "modify". If you can't paste directly to Paint.Net, then paste to Paint, saving in bitmap or png, then import that to Paint.Net and create your png transparency that way. It's a drawn-out(pardon the pun) process but it might work!

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Bouyscout -

This is what I meant before, justy in case it wasn't clear, about assembling the title/speech bubble in the main timelines.

It also has the advantage of being able to do more with the speech bubble than just fade in/out.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
ATTENTION Win10 users

Even though this may not be a big deal, could you please do a short test to confirm whether this is a consistent issue with PDR/Title Designer in Win10?

The issue is: Any title template containing an imported image - speech bubble, lower third, logo etc - does not display the image on a separate track in Title Designer. The graphic, therefore, cannot be modified.

Here's one (made in PDR Win 10) in case you don't have one at your disposal - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124830618 - many of the standard lower third/graphic title templates in PDR use particles or animations rather then images.

Just a confirm or deny will do the job.

Cheers - Tony
Bouyscout
[Post New]
Downloaded the image for which you provided a link. Same result. The image or animation does not show up as an item in the track in Title Designer. This pretty much makes the templates almost useless unless the only thing you're going to change is the text.

Grrrrrrr!

Bouyscout
[Thumb - 6-10-2016 5-36-54 PM.jpg]
 Filename
6-10-2016 5-36-54 PM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Hello Balloon
 Filesize
158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2016 18:14

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found it interesting that the Speech_07 title background cannot be modified with a win 10 pc. See the screenshot. I just tried it on a win 10 pc running PD12. Using the sample files, see the white balls on the lower left. Just resized the background moved it to the lower left. Moved the text to the lower right. No problems. It works.

Tried Preferences/Hardware Acceleration check and unchecking the two checkboxes and it made no difference. The background can be moved. Believe that the graphics processor and the driver used may be the reason that the background can or cannot be moved.

Would like others to test this Speech_07 title on their win 10 machine and let us know if the background can be moved on your PD14.

Edit: I see that there are 2 posts since I ran the test. Will do the short test.
[Thumb - win10.jpg]
 Filename
win10.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Speech_07 background can be resized and moved in win 10 pc.
 Filesize
344 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
26 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
See the attached screenshot from a win 10 pc running PD12. The background can be resized and moved. The text can be changed.

Need more volunteers to test out Tony’s title to see if it works properly on your win 10 pc with PD14.
[Thumb - Thoughts.jpg]
 Filename
Thoughts.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Can your win 10 pc do this??
 Filesize
356 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Good thinking tomasc!

So the issue seems to be only occurring with PDR14 in Win10.

Cheers - Tony
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Playback of the modified Thoughts title on the win 10 pc running PD12 is okay. See the screenshot. Need volunteers to test win 10 with PD14.
[Thumb - Thoughts1.jpg]
 Filename
Thoughts1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
win 10 PD12 playback of the modified title is fine.
 Filesize
327 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
25 time(s)
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
I'm running PD 14 Ultimate on a Windows 10 machine. I downladed the template from the DZ, created a title, saved it, went back to the title and was able to modify the title and the speech bubble multiple times. I could resize it, move it, do whatever I wanted with it.

The Speech bubble does not show up on a separate track, but it is still able to be resized/scaled and moved to a different position. I do not know how to upload the screen shots without adding them to an external site first which I am not prepared to do. If someonw can show me how to upload the screen shots directly to the forum I will gladly do so. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Maliek -

You could just attach the image in your reply (click on Attachments & locate image) & members can download it.

If you want the image displayed on the page, just right click and select Copy Link Location (or whatever your browser says)...

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Embed Image.png]
 Filename
Embed Image.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
269 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2016 19:04

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

Hi ynotfish. This allows me to copy someone elses image from the forum and add it to my post (as I did above following your instructions) but I want to add my .jpg screenshots. Can that be done? I do not see an option for that. The option to add an image asks for a source which is usually a website and I do not wish to add the photos to a website in order to post them to the forum.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2016 19:53

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

ynotfish
[Post New]
Sorry Maliek -

I neglected to mention that it's a multi-step process.

1. Attach your image - click submit

2. Copy link location - it'll look something like - https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/downloadAttach/20699.page

3. Edit your post and add the image

Cued tutorial laughing

Cheers - Tony
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Tony.

I was trying to avoid the image upload to an external site but oh well. Thank you for sharing the video. It aws quite useful, as all of your tutorials are. laughing

Here are the images of the thought bubble title from the DirectorZone. I opened the Title Designer and went back to the title saving it multiple times at different sizes and positions. There were nodes for both the text and the speech bubble and each could be adjusted independently of one another or in conjunction with one another.

As you can see there is no graphic on a separate track but I still have the ability to make adjustments to every aspect of the title. I hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2016 23:14

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.