Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fade Transition without Audio Fade?
See2Dee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2016 16:11 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to PD14, having cut my teeth on Serif's MoviePlus X6.

I've been playing with transitions and recently had a situation where I wanted the audio to remain steady during a fade transition. I understand from PD Support that it's not possible to de-link the audio from the video in transitions. I found that even if I de-linked the video and audio tracks, then tried to apply the transition to the video track only, it still affected the audio.

Is there some way to create a fade transition that applies to the video track only. The only way I can figure to do what I want is to create a freeze frame at the end of the one clip and beginning of the next, then apply the Fade to the intersect of those. But this seems very clumsy to me - not practical if needing to do it repeatedly.

I haven't had too much time to explore this and have a feeling I may be making it more complicated than necessary. So I'm trusting there's a high tolerance for dumb questions on this forum....

Thank you
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried it and it worked fine:

Put video and audio on timeline. Unlink them. Split the video (only) where you want the transition to begin. Remove the part of the video past the split. Insert the new video or still image to which you want to transition just after the remaining part of the video. Apply the fade to the video. Play the result...video fades from one image to the next, audio continues. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello See2Dee!

Some time back I was fiddling with Preferences in relation to transitions and found that if I set the transition behaviour to "cross" instead of "overlap", the audio component of the transition did not come into the timeline but had to be added later. I considered this to be a design fault(and still do) but if it suits your purpose.... To make the setting, go to "Set User Preferences" by clicking on the "cog" then select "Editing". At the top of the box where settings are made you'll see "Timeline" and below that, "Set Default Transition Behaviour" If it shows Overlap, change it to Cross. It's that easy. It can be changed back just as easily.

Cheers!

Neil.
See2Dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dan & Neil. Both comments very helpful!
18tillidie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Los Angeles, CA Joined: Sep 29, 2014 12:24 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Likely multiple ways to accomplish what you want...

Sounds like your audio is associated with one of the clips you are using, so presumably, that clip actually runs past your planned transition point (since you want the audio to continue), right?

1. Add the second clip to a new (higher number) track on the timeline where you want it to be;

2. Use sync by audio or some other method if you need to line them up, or just place it where you want it;

3. Either mute the audio on the second clip or unlink the audio and delete it if the second clip has audio you don't want;

4. Select the second clip and use the keyframe editor to place an opacity keyframe at the begining of the clip and another at the point where you want the fade to end, and set the first keyframe to 0% opacity;

This creates an overlap fade... the second clip fades in and the first fades out.

If you want a cross fade (through black), add the reverse keyframes to the first clip, fading it out before the second fades in. (If you have other tracks above these on the timeline, it may be necessary to add a black colorboard on a track above them both.)

Personally, I just find that I have much better control using keyframes for this type of thing.
https://vimeo.com/timsanson
See2Dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks 18tillidie - also very helpful, although at this stage, I haven't had any experience with keyframes on PD14. I'll look for a tutorial (if you have any suggestions in this regard, I would appreciate it)

Best rgds
18tillidie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Los Angeles, CA Joined: Sep 29, 2014 12:24 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I have PD uninstalled right now while I am sorting out some windows installation issues, so I can't show you directly, but they are very simple once you grasp the concept of how they work.

Here is a tutorial video I just found that may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHr3fev5G4

While this is explaining keyframes within the PIP Designer, it's exactly the same process if you select a clip on the main timeline and then click the Keyrames button... you are working in a separate timeline for that clip, and can control many of the clip's properties. Opacity is the property you want in this case.

If you take the time to explore what Keyfames can control, it will become very useful indeed.
https://vimeo.com/timsanson
See2Dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I'll definitely familiarize myself with keyframes
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Well, with these transitions without audio fade, seems there's more than one way to "skin a cat"! Here, puss, puss!smile