Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Maximum file Size for Upload To Forum!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

I've created a little animated clip that can be used as a first-play. It's 18.5 megabytes(MPEG2, DVD-SP grade) and runs 43 seconds. Is this too big a file to be uploaded here? If so, then I won't upload it here, but if not, then watch for it soon.

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a further to the above, I've been toying with Screen Recorder(gotta say, it leaves a lot to be desired), with the idea of uploading, not to YouTube, but to these forum pages, a few "How-To" videos of my own. I've been considering a video on a subject I posted "many moons ago" where I gave a step-by-step guide to appearing and disappearing like a ghost. I'm figuring that an MPEG2 file might be a bit large for such an upload, and might also create difficulties for the downloader, so I require a video file type that gives a reasonable image quality but keeps the file size small enough for safe upload/download. As to Screen Recorder, I'm going to have to useit, in spite of its shortcomings, as part of my production "toolkit".

Any Ideas?

Neil.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I would limit the size of the forum uploads to somewhere less than about 12 Megabytes.

The forum servers are slow, downloading a large video file takes forever. Not to mention the time it takes to upload.

Mpeg-4 makes for smaller video files that Mpeg-2. The smallest file size is WMV for the same resolution and bitrate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2016 22:04

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl!

Okay, I won't upload the other item(the first-play) just yet, as it is 18.5 migabytes. I'll wait until I can convert it to a respectable-quality WMV file. When I figue that out, then I'll use that as my guide to the grade of WMV that I need to upload these short "how-To" videos I wish to produce.

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello!

Experimentation with grades of WMV files, has led me almost to abandon the project outright. I tried the first setting(300kb/s) produced a woeful result that I won't inflict on anyone(file size 1.4mb but unusable). Second attempt resulted in a file too large to upload(80-odd megabythes - ouch!). A third attempt gave me good quality(2mb/s) and a file size of 9.12megabytes(as stored on my computer), so I'll upload that attempt and suggest to downloaders that you convert to MPEG2 before use. The background music is from a PD8 menu page, the graphics include the scan of the playing surface of a DVD rotating counter-clockwise at 1440 degrees(360 dexgees X 4) with the title rotating clockwise at the same rate. Backdrop is a purple colour board and, from Particle Room, #1.Star(with background removed so colour board can be seen). The item is available below for download. I note the size is slightly larger on the upload, that's just part of the process, I guess.

Cheers!

Neil
 Filename
My Own Home Video Movies - FP Clip.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
windows media video file rendered at 2 mb/s
 Filesize
9349 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
292 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2016 10:24

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

Why not just link to YouTube? Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Richmond Dan's suggestion is what most of us do. We upload to Youtube or some other Video hosting site.

As to the WMV format that is good quality and small size, 1280 x 720/30p at 6 Mbps. Or you can go higher resolution 1920 x1080/30p 10Mbps.

Then a link to the video can be posted on the forum.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2016 11:31

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
"Richmond Dan's suggestion is what most of us do."

I lived in Texas for 20 years, Carl...you can just call me Dan. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: "Richmond Dan's suggestion is what most of us do."

I lived in Texas for 20 years, Carl...you can just call me Dan.
You live in Virginia now. So when did you move?

Actually I used to live in Nashville, TN.

The other popular Video Upload site is Vimeo.com. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Dan & Carl!

The simple answer there is: I don't have a YouTube channel, and after all the talk on this forum(in other threads) of late, this way, I avoid all the grief of trying to prove copyright was cleared for the music contained therein. Plus, it's easier to download from here than it might be from YouTube. As to the music, I derived it from a Power Director 8 menu page file. I found the music by chance while delving into the PD8 component files, and I copy-pastedthem into a folder that I labeled "Audio Grabs". With all that talk about copyright and the grief that YouTube has apparently given so many of its contributors, I wanted no part of that, so I uploaded to this forum thread so I could make it available to anyone who liked it and wanted to use it themselves.

Cheers!

Neil.

On finishing writing this post, I noted my first-play has had 6 downloads! To the 6 who downloaded, enjoy! And thank you for taking the time to download.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2016 22:21

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, All!

At time of writing, the number of downloads of my little first-play clip has been increased to 7. I have retained the original MPEG2 version on my computer hard-drive but do I also need to retain the WMV version? If it's uploaded to wherever it goes to, is it safe to remove the WMV version from my computer as I really only want to retain the original MPEG2 clip?

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, All!

At time of writing, the number of downloads of my little first-play clip has been increased to 7. I have retained the original MPEG2 version on my computer hard-drive but do I also need to retain the WMV version? If it's uploaded to wherever it goes to, is it safe to remove the WMV version from my computer as I really only want to retain the original MPEG2 clip?

Cheers!

Neil.
As long as you have the original video, you can recreate any format you wish.

You only need the original, although backups are recommended. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl!

I only created the WMV version for upload purposes as it had a smaller file size in order to facilitate easier upload. My question, perhaps I need to rephrase it, is: Now that I've uploaded the WMV version, do I need to retain it here on my computer so that anyone who downloads it won't get hit with a "file does not exist" warning? Or is it safe to delete the WMV version?

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Carl!

I only created the WMV version for upload purposes as it had a smaller file size in order to facilitate easier upload. My question, perhaps I need to rephrase it, is: Now that I've uploaded the WMV version, do I need to retain it here on my computer so that anyone who downloads it won't get hit with a "file does not exist" warning? Or is it safe to delete the WMV version?

Cheers!

Neil.
You can. If you saved a PDS after you created the WMV, Project open may ask, you can safely click Ignore. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The file you uploaded, Neil, is just that, an UPLOADED FILE.
The file now resides in the World Wide Web on a server somewhere, it has no linkage to your computer. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Barry & Carl!

Thanks for the info. The WMV is a conversion from the MPEG2(dragged the MPEG2 original onto the timeline then "produced" as a WMV file). And as I said, the only reason or the conversion was so I could upload it without too much grief and it would be available for download to anyone who wants it. Now that I know it's safe to dump the WMV version, I'll hang on to the original MPEG2 version and send the WMV to the recycle bin. As you know, I don't save PDS files(I know you've been critical in the past about my method), I keep the raw video content in a folder, be it MPEG2 or MP4, or even AVCHD, edit it in one session, then produce my "final" version as an MPEG2 file rendered in DVD SP grade so that I can put it on disc along with other material I've produced. I've no need of the PDS files, I only ever require to have the original raw video content, straight off my camera's SD cards.

Cheers!

Neil.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've created a little animated clip that can be used as a first-play

Neil,

Please excuse if this is "off topic" to your spinning disc upload and query.

But as an alternative treatment to your spinning disc/record album upload, have you also considered a revolving disc/ record album? It can (to a degree) be accomplished in the Title Room via a 3DLike font manipulation. I'm sure you've discovered this method does have limited options. Image prep is necessary, and it can be labor intensive depending on the desired outcome. A quickie mockup example can be viewed here …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQENY0WZe8

__________________________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I've created a little animated clip that can be used as a first-play

Neil,

Please excuse if this is "off topic" to your spinning disc upload and query.

But as an alternative treatment to your spinning disc/record album upload, have you also considered a revolving disc/ record album? It can (to a degree) be accomplished in the Title Room via a 3DLike font manipulation. I'm sure you've discovered this method does have limited options. Image prep is necessary, and it can be labor intensive depending on the desired outcome. A quickie mockup example can be viewed here …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQENY0WZe8

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, Cranston! How's it goin'?

I thank you for the suggestion, but in relation to this first-play, I've kept the animation simple, the disc revolving anti-clockwise and the title revolving clockwise, the PD14 sliding in from left, flipping and sliding out to the left. The disc is a DVD, I scanned the "business" side of a defunct disc(failed burn), which, when scanned provided a sort-of "psychedelic" colour effect. I had considered an LP record or a 45rpm single but the representation of such a disc would suggest a music video, which is not represented in the content of the videos that I've shot of late. Somewhere down the "track"(pun intended.... ouch!) I may try to create a music video DVD(if I can pull together enough content), where a spinning LP or single would be an appropriate image. Basically, what I'm saying is: it depends on the nature of a DVD's contents, what sort of first-play clip should be used, in my case, it's home movies.

Cheers!

Neil.