Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Confused about PD 14//Solved
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having a problem with PD 14, which I just installed 2 days ago. I know what I want to say, but not sure I know how to say it and make it understandable. Anyway, here goes.

Two days ago, I burned a DVD/DL of music videos on PD 14 (close to 2 hours). Today, I tried to burn another one but can't. The length is a tad over 1:56 (see atch 1). When I go from Production to Create Disc, select No Menu-All Pages, select 8.5gb 2D disc, at the bottom it shows the data exceeds the disc limit (see atch 2). When I click, Burn I uncheck Burn to Disc and check Save As Disc Image and Create Folder. When I click on Start Burning, it says the imported files exceed disc space (8625/8500). (Hmmm. DVD/DL supposed to handle up to 2 hours, or thereabout). No matter what I do, I cannot burn to file (as in PD13) and not disc.

Because I never had this problem with PD 13, I decided I'd try it there. Significant differences.

To be sure I didn't screw-up on the videos, I created a special folder that had the exact videos I wanted to burn. I imported the folder into both PD 13 and PD 14 then inserted them on the timeline. The length reflected on both timelines is virtully identical - 1:52+. However, after the Production process on PD 13, I go to Create Disc, No Menu-All Pages, 8.5GB 2D disc, the space required is less than with PD14 (7433/8500). Also, in PD 13, when I go to Burn, uncheck Burn to Disc, check Create Folder then Start Burning, the disc burning option does not appear, only the folder option.

I don't understand why idential video clips have different lengths in PD 13 and PD 14.

Am I doing something wrong or is the a problem with PD 14?
[Thumb - PD 14 Create disc.PNG]
 Filename
PD 14 Create disc.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)
[Thumb - PD 14 timeline.PNG]
 Filename
PD 14 timeline.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2015 20:40

Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
One thing you can try is to select Smartfit or just use PD13 to create the dvd disc.
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tomasc for your reply.

I suppose I could do what you suggested, but it seems I might have wasted my money upgrading to PD14 if it won't do what 13 does.

Glad I didn't get rid of my 13.

I'll see if CL will give me a refund. If I can't do the same with it as I did with 13, what's the need or advantage of having it. Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Obviously something in PD14 attracted you to buy it. After say a year of patches maybe it may be fixed. None of PD disc size estimation has been close in my opinion. Experience is the best teacher. Burn to Folder then use a disc burning software to burn it to a 4.7GB dvd disc.
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for responding.
Nothing in particular got me to upgrade, other than the hype I kept seeing on FaceBook. There are a couple of things I like that aren't in PD13. Other than that, just the upgrade.
You suggest I burn to folder then burn to disc. Can't do that. When I go to Create Disc, I uncheck burn to disc and check Disc Image and Create Folder, when I click Start Burning it says the imported files to large. In PD 13 I'm able to burn to a folder.
[Thumb - Burn window.PNG]
 Filename
Burn window.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
135 time(s)
[Thumb - PD 14 file too large.PNG]
 Filename
PD 14 file too large.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
136 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2015 08:23

Jack
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm having a problem with PD 14, which I just installed 2 days ago. I know what I want to say, but not sure I know how to say it and make it understandable. Anyway, here goes.

Two days ago, I burned a DVD/DL of music videos on PD 14 (close to 2 hours). Today, I tried to burn another one but can't. The length is a tad over 1:56 (see atch 1). When I go from Production to Create Disc, select No Menu-All Pages, select 8.5gb 2D disc, at the bottom it shows the data exceeds the disc limit (see atch 2). When I click, Burn I uncheck Burn to Disc and check Save As Disc Image and Create Folder. When I click on Start Burning, it says the imported files exceed disc space (8625/8500). (Hmmm. DVD/DL supposed to handle up to 2 hours, or thereabout). No matter what I do, I cannot burn to file (as in PD13) and not disc.

Because I never had this problem with PD 13, I decided I'd try it there. Significant differences.

To be sure I didn't screw-up on the videos, I created a special folder that had the exact videos I wanted to burn. I imported the folder into both PD 13 and PD 14 then inserted them on the timeline. The length reflected on both timelines is virtully identical - 1:52+. However, after the Production process on PD 13, I go to Create Disc, No Menu-All Pages, 8.5GB 2D disc, the space required is less than with PD14 (7433/8500). Also, in PD 13, when I go to Burn, uncheck Burn to Disc, check Create Folder then Start Burning, the disc burning option does not appear, only the folder option.

I don't understand why idential video clips have different lengths in PD 13 and PD 14.

Am I doing something wrong or is the a problem with PD 14?

I've seen a few subtle changes for DVD burn between PD13 and PD14 but I have not seen what you claim, namely for a 1:52+ duration project:
for PD14 (8625/8500)
for PD13 (7433/8500)

What that difference really looks like is you have Dolby Digital selected in PD13 and LPCM selected in PD14 for "Create Disc" audio selection, any chance of that?

Jeff
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you JL_JL for your response.
When I went to production, I clicked on SVRT. It came up as MPEG4, and PAL under Country/video format of disc. Don't know if that is the problem. If I change it to NTSC, then SVRT is disabled.
Wasn't able to check Dolby in PD14. Don't know why. As for LPCM, not familiar with that. Not being a "techie", I did a Google but still don't understand it other than it is supposed to be better than Dolby, I think. Looked through PD 14 but didn't see anything that said LPCM.
I just did a preview of the video and it's length is 1:56.29.05. What I will do is trim the last clip and see what happens. If I still have a problem with the length, then I will do as Tomasc suggested, use PD13 to burn to file. Just don't understand why I'm unable to burn to file in PD14, like PD13, even though the length is less than 2:00.
I'll be back after I do the editing with an update.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2015 10:25

Jack
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you JL_JL for your response.
When I went to production, I clicked on SVRT. It came up as MPEG4, and PAL under Country/video format of disc. Don't know if that is the problem. If I change it to NTSC, then SVRT is disabled.
Wasn't able to check Dolby in PD14. Don't know why. As for LPCM, not familiar with that. Not being a "techie", I did a Google but still don't understand it other than it is supposed to be better than Dolby, I think. Looked through PD 14 but didn't see anything that said LPCM.
I just did a preview of the video and it's length is 1:56.29.05. What I will do is trim the last clip and see what happens. If I still have a problem with the length, then I will do as Tomasc suggested, use PD13 to burn to file. Just don't understand why I'm unable to burn to file in PD14, like PD13, even though the length is less than 2:00.
I'll be back after I do the editing with an update.

Nothing to do with "Production", your discussion was space on "Create Disc" operation and the values you quoted are from "Create Disc". Location of DD vs LPCM shown in attached pic.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_DD.png]
 Filename
PD14_DD.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
438 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
143 time(s)
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Egad. I have to apologize to all who have persevered in their efforts to educate me.
JL_JL - I looked @ your pic. Went back to my project, and Create Disc window and sure enough, LPCM was there. I selected Dolby and bam!! length shortened. I never saw that in all my projects in PD13 and now PD14. In the past, I've always been able to check Dolby on the bottom left but for some reason, it was greyed-out in PD14.
Anyway, problem solved. I'll post this then do an edit and mark this as solved.
Wow!! I can't believe I missed that. I never cease to be amazed at the expertise in these forums and the patience you contributors exhibit in getting my head screwed-on right.
As for now, I want to wish each an everyone of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Jack
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've always been able to check Dolby on the bottom left but for some reason, it was greyed-out in PD14.

DD is not a option for MP4, that's why it's greyed out in the "Production" area bottom left. This is true for PD13 and PD14. Again, what you do in "Produce" with audio settings will be reencoded during "Create Disc" operation based on the settings shown in the pic I had attached. So what you set for audio in "Production" tab is irrelevant to your "Create Disc" question.

Jeff
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more question on this post.
Is there a size limit that can be produced and burned to file only (not disc)? I'm asking because I'm getting the same refusal to burn to file only - The size of the imported files exceeds the amount of available disc space.
My settings are DVD-Video 16:9, MPEG-2 HQ Best Quality Dolby Digital, 2 channel and Enable Cyberlink True Theater Surround. Jack
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: One more question on this post.
Is there a size limit that can be produced and burned to file only (not disc)? I'm asking because I'm getting the same refusal to burn to file only - The size of the imported files exceeds the amount of available disc space.
My settings are DVD-Video 16:9, MPEG-2 HQ Best Quality Dolby Digital, 2 channel and Enable Cyberlink True Theater Surround.

If by file only and not disc you are referring to the option shown in the PD14_CD_File.png, then yes, PD14 enforces the same size limit check.

The logic for this I'd assume is PD14 is trying to create a DVD compatible assembly of video files which the user would burn to a disc latter. Because of this, PD14 can't violate size of media for either the "Burn to disc", "Save as disc image", or the "Create a folder" option as the media is controlled by the size of the potential DVD.

On the other hand, if you are talking the "Produce" module as in PD14_Produce_Mpeg2.png, then the file size can be much larger than the potential DVD physical media as shown in attached pic. The issue then is, one can't get this large file to a DVD media disc, one needs to use a alternate playback media.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_CD_File.png]
 Filename
PD14_CD_File.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
900 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
57 time(s)
[Thumb - PD14_Produce_Mpeg2.png]
 Filename
PD14_Produce_Mpeg2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1554 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
62 time(s)
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you JL_JL for that info.
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.
I was more or less experimenting with a bunch of extended music videos and was wondering if I could burn them to file only. Now I know I'll have to break them down into sensible sizes.
Still in the learning process but getting educated little by little.
Have a great one. (If you don't, find someone you can blame) Jack
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you JL_JL for that info.
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.
I was more or less experimenting with a bunch of extended music videos and was wondering if I could burn them to file only. Now I know I'll have to break them down into sensible sizes.
Still in the learning process but getting educated little by little.
Have a great one. (If you don't, find someone you can blame)

Not sure on what type of timeline content makes up your music videos, a possible option would be to use "Smart Fit" instead of the MPEG-2 HQ setting you reference in the “Create Disc” module. This will reduce the bitrate so the project fits on the defined DVD media so some loss of quality, it will still play on a standalone DVD player. With this one can fit substantially more than the 2hrs on a DVD DL disc, yes at a quality loss, acceptability of this option can only be defined by the eye of the viewer.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2015 10:01

boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again
The content is a bunch of extended Lao Music Videos that I thought my wife might enjoy. Nothing important or critical. The time line is about 3:15.
I might play with it a bit just to see what I can do and what the limitations are.
I will probably do an audio extraction of them and put the music only on a CD/DVD.
Still getting familiar with PD and what I can accomplish.
Again, thanks for the Smart Fit option. Hadn't thought of that. Where might I find Smart Fit? Looked all through PD and Preferences and don't see it anywhere.
Jack

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2015 10:33

Jack
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
The "Smart Fit" setting location is shown in the attached pic.

For a DVD DL 8.5GB disc on could fit ~4hrs 15min on a single disc. I didn't mean the physical content of what's in your timeline but the video properties of content. Probably best to simple try and see if you like the finished quality. Just keep in mind the following:
1) DVD DL 8.5GB holds about 2 hrs at maximum PD14 quality
2) at 3hrs of timeline content, quality reduced ~30%
3) at 4hrs of timeline content, quality reduced ~50%

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_CD_Smartfit.png]
 Filename
PD14_CD_Smartfit.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1467 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
67 time(s)
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. Will let you know what I end-up with.

I will put on USB to check quality and, if ok, will burn to disc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2015 12:00

Jack
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2016 16:06 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to re-open this but I am a newbie for PD14 and seem to have a similar issue.

I am trying to burn several mpg files, which Windows Explorer tells me have a total size of 3.70GB.
PD14 greatly inflates the file size when imported, even with no menus. I cannot get it below 5.82GB after selecting DD, as suggested above.

Each file when imported individually is substantially larger than Windows reports. Is this correct? It makes it very difficult to prepare folders for burning when the file size is more than 50% larger.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Ken, might be a good idea to re-start this on a new thread?
(even has the word 'Solved' in the thread title so.....)

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree CS2014. However, based upon what Ken posted, it seems similar to what I experienced and the suggestion by JL_JL solved my problem. Maybe Ken should look at all the responses to my original post and see if any of them would help.
After I followed that example, I was able to burn my videos to disc and file with no problems. That's why I marked this post as solved.
Ken - as a tip. If you have a problem similar to one that has already been posted as Solved, it's best to start a new thread and refer to the one you looked at. I appreciate your frustration but believe me, you can absorb so much good info from the people in these forums. I'm still not even close to being very knowledgeable on this type of stuff (making videos w/PD) but everything I can do is a result of the help I've received here. Believe me, even what seems a "stupid" question can serve as a learning experience for others. I always search for posts the might be similar to a problem I'm having and try some of the suggestions before I post. All of the contributors here are more than eager to help, but give them all the info they need to explore your problem. Snapshots, dxdiags, etc. are a great help.
Wish I could be of more help, but I'm still learning.
Have a good one and good luck. Jack