Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edited clips acting as if they are not edited and other strange problems
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 22:30 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Help! I recently "upgraded" from PD13 to PD14 and have had nothing but problems with it. I'm running Windows 7 with 16GB RAM on a several month old computer (PD13 ran just fine). I have version "PowerDirector Ultimate 14.0.2019.0" (64 bit) and have tried installing the patch called "v2019" (File version 2.9.1.6109).

The problems I'm facing have occured every time I've used the program now.

*) At seemingly random times, the clip I'm working with in track 1 will suddently act as though it's still in its full, intact form. It suddenly completely ignores the edits yet it will show all of the edits in the timeline. For example, sections that were cut out of a given clip will play (as if the file were uncut), regardless of what the time line shows. Even if a completely different clip now resides at that point. Nothing resolves the issue except to completely remove every trace of the affected clip from the timeline (maybe from the library too, I'm still not clear on that) and redo it all.

Several other problems piggyback themselves onto this one, including:

*) When the problem happens, all other tracks below the affected one on the time line become blacked out (video) and mute (audio tracks).

*) Sometimes, the affected track suddenly creates an unusal link to other tracks and clips in the timeline (but not necessarily at the same point in the timeline), so that if any one of the "not-linked" clips gets moved, deleted or modified in some other way they ALL experience the same action. Again, only removing the clip on track one breaks the link and allows me to continue.

*) Adjusting the speed of an unlinked audio track sometimes alters the placement of videos tracks on the timeline (even though there is no timeline conflict). Again, this seems to be a symptom of the random linking of unrelated clips.

*) Sometimes the video speed adjustment has no effect. This issue may or may not have been solved by the patch I installed. I haven't seen it since then (but I installed that patch only yesterday).

So I went from PD13 to PD14 in what was supposed to be an upgrade. But it's been mostly unusable and very frustrating. HELP!!!

EDIT: By the way, I did try re-installing PD14 but that made no difference.

EDIT EDIT: Closing the program and opening from the last save does not clear up the issue either. Only removing every part of the affected clip (no matter how many seperate parts it may now be in) fixes the issue (until the next occurance). This often leads to having to redo quite a lot of work.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2015 19:04

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

Quote: ... I have version "PowerDirector Ultimate 14.0.2019.0" and have tried installing the patch, I beleive it was called "2011" (File version 2.9.1.6109)...

only patches that have released so far is beta patches v2130 & v2207.

Quote:

EDIT: By the way, I did try re-installing PD14 but that made no difference...

have you try to reinstalling the PD14 Ultimate without so called "2011" patch and using it???

PepsiMan.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2015 18:55

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PepsiMan, I appreciate your response. Yes, I just confirmed that it is patch V2019.

I reinstalled PD14 before I ever tried the patch (2019).

One thing that may or may not be of note is that I never physically UNinstalled PD13. I downloaded PD14 and, when I installed it, it "uninstalled the old and installed the new". The only reason I didn't manually uninstall PD13 is that I was concerned that I might lose all of my custom transitions, titles, etc...

EDIT: Another possibly noteworthy point is that I apply the video speed modifier (increase speed) to almost every clip I add to the timeline. The speed increase may be anywhere from about 1.10 to 10x or higher. But it's usually around 2-3x speed. This is why I had hoped that patch v2019 might solve the issue becuase it mentioned solving bugs regarding the speed adjustment and the playhead sometimes jumping around (I was also having the issue where, during speed adjusted clips, the playhead would often jump all the way to the end of the timeline).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2015 19:11

stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
A little more information:

It seems that the problem is indeed made worse every time I use the speed adjustment. Especially when I've split a clip then alter the speed on any segment of that clip.

An example of my typical usage: I first increase the speed of a given clip. Then I edit the clip by removing unwanted segments. But then I go in and alter the speed again on any of those segments and the problems start going crazy on me.

This is how I used PD13 all the time. So this shouldn't be an issue.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
well,

your PD14 Ultimate download-upgrade version is already v2109 and you've applied the v2109 patch...

why don't you try the latest beta patch v2207?

i don't have any issues so mine's @ v2109!

PD13 can co-exist peacefully just don't tell either of them...

PepsiMan

p.s.

PD14 Ultimate came with the screen recorder so record what you're doing and post,

other experts can help you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2015 20:29

'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll try installing the new beta patch you mentioned. If that doesn't work, I'll record it as you suggested.

Thanks again.
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, the patch did nothing for my issue, which I suspected would be the case (as it didn't mention anything like my problem being addressed).

I just found that the PowerDirector Screen Recorder makes my computer run ridiculously slow. Anyway, I used it and recorded a video showing what is going on. I hope I'm allow to post the link here:

https://youtu.be/5dxWfIahe6c

*) You'll notice at the 0:31 second mark, the scrubber transitions from one clip to a completely different one, yet it continues to play the first clip.

*) At 0:38, I move the second clip to reveal the fact that, even with the blank space there, it continues to play the first clip as if it was never cut and the remainder deleted.

*) At 1:42, I've moved the second clip out PAST where the end of first clip would have been (if the first clip was left intact). I then play so that it can be seen that the second is indeed not different.

*) At 1:57, I shorten the second clip only so that there's less in the way.

*) At 2:10, I put the scrubber in the blank area again to demonstrate that PD14 still acts as though the rest of the first clip is still there.

*) Finally, at 2:37, I demonstrate again that when the second clip is placed on the timeline where PD14 somehow still thinks the first clip resides, it no longer plays the second clip and, instead, acts as though the first clip was still there.

I hope this clearly demonstrates the problem I keep running into.

Thank you very much to anyone who reads/watches this. Any help will be very much appreciated. I'm at my wit's end over this.
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Clips lose audio when sped up faster than 2.000x : http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/45938.page#237543

Please forgive me for posting another topic surrounding my group of problems. But the more I dig into it the more it seems that the speed adjustment feature may be at the root of my issues. With that in mind, I was concerned that the title and content of this topic might lead some down the wrong path in trying to point me to a solution.

In short, both topics are valid but come at what's now appearing to me like a possible common cause from different angles.
PepsiMan
[Post New]
can you attach to your response, your .pds file and the related short source clip so that

we may able to test to to see if we have different results? try to attach a reasonable file size.

i saw the youtube upload but...

don't you lose the audio if the video is sped up faster than 2X???

PepsiMan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 00:36

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a short sample video clip. And also, the screen capture of the same clip being run before and after speed change. It shows everything I did.

And if you were to right click on the sped up clip in the timeline it'll
show the clip being muted (but grayed out so that it cannot be
un-muted). This happens with .mov ; .mp3 and all other formats I've tried.

EDIT: I added the .pds file. I hope that's what you were asking for.
 Filename
sample intro clip.mpg
[Disk]
 Description
Short sample clip
 Filesize
7114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
142 time(s)
 Filename
Capture_1.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
showing how the clip loses audio
 Filesize
38997 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
132 time(s)
 Filename
test of no audio issue.pds
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
253 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
197 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 01:09

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, StevenFrench73!

Something just occured to me as I read your post. Check to see if the clip was highlighted in the "media Library", you may be watching the preview rather than what's on the timeline. Also, check to see if the "scrubber" is progressing along the timeline as your clip plays. If it isn't, then you are definitely seeing in the preview screen, the clip in the library, rather than the clip in the timeline. At the bottom-left of the preview screen(should still be in the same spot in PD13 or PD14) is the selector for Clip or Movie. "Clip" will play from media library or highlighted portion of clip on the timeline, while "Movie" will play the entire video on the timeline, complete with edits and added transition effects.

Cheers!

Neil.
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hello, StevenFrench73!

Something just occured to me as I read your post. Check to see if the clip was highlighted in the "media Library", you may be watching the preview rather than what's on the timeline. Also, check to see if the "scrubber" is progressing along the timeline as your clip plays. If it isn't, then you are definitely seeing in the preview screen, the clip in the library, rather than the clip in the timeline. At the bottom-left of the preview screen(should still be in the same spot in PD13 or PD14) is the selector for Clip or Movie. "Clip" will play from media library or highlighted portion of clip on the timeline, while "Movie" will play the entire video on the timeline, complete with edits and added transition effects.

Cheers!

Neil.

I'm defintely viewing from the timeline and not the media library. I never have problems viewing from the library, only the timeline. Thanks for trying though!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Steve

There are definitely things going on in your recorded clip that don't make any sense. My first guess is that you have more clips way down on track 5 or 6, and whatever is on those tracks will always play over any and all media on Tracks 1-4.

Scroll vertically down on the right side of the timeline and see if there are any media clips there, and delete all of them, then try working with the clips in track 1.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 02:14

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Steve

There are definitely things going on in your recorded clip that don't make any sense. My first guess is that you have more clips way down on track 5 or 6, and whatever is on those tracks will always play over any and all media on Tracks 1-4.

Scroll vertically down on the right side of the timeline and see if there are any media clips there, and delete all of them, then try working with the clips in track 1.

Good suggestion. But I assure you there are no other clips in the timeline, neither below nor beyond.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's no way that PD can play any video as shown at 2:12 in your screen recording when Track 1 is empty UNLESS there's some media below Track 1. It's simply not possible. The recording shows that there are 5-6 additional tracks below Track 1 but they're offscreen.

I think it would help tremendously helpful if you could pack and upload your project to OneDrive or DropBox. Go to the File menu and choose Pack Project Materials... and choose a cloud folder. When the upload is finished, please share the folder and post the link. I can provide you with a link to a public OneDrive folder if you don't have one readily available.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 02:39

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Steve!

Sorry I could't be of any further help, but Optodata may be able to provide an answer. Send the material per Optodata's request, and see if he can be of some assistance.

Cheers!

Neil.
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: There's no way that PD can play any video as shown at 2:12 in your screen recording when Track 1 is empty UNLESS there's some media below Track 1. It's simply not possible. The recording shows that there are 5-6 additional tracks below Track 1 but they're offscreen.

I think it would help tremendously helpful if you could pack and upload your project to OneDrive or DropBox. Go to the File menu and choose Pack Project Materials... and choose a cloud folder. When the upload is finished, please share the folder and post the link. I can provide you with a link to a public OneDrive folder if you don't have one readily available.

I know it appears as though there are more tracks but they're empty. Only tracks 1 (video with audio) and track 2 (audio only) are populated.

Alright, with your instructions, I was able to pack and upload another quick demo. Thanks, by the way; I didn't know about that feature! Here's a link: <a>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r8ftvpa7aiwn8ph/AABWItKmX6ZM9rp30-Vhl7Nda?dl=0</a>

This links is to a folder containing the packed project and the source clip. I applied the clip (very short) to track #1 on the timeline three times. The first time is normal speed. The second time is at 1.820x speed. The third occurance is set at 2.090x speed and is missing the audio. It's somehow muted and cannot be unmuted.

Thanks again for everyone's time.
optodata
[Post New]
Ok. Thanks for sending this over!

Here's a clickable version of the *link* in case anyone has trouble copying and pasting (the forum is a real pain sometimes!)

Also, this is clearly a different version of the project than you recorded. That had a separate audio track while each of these clips has it combined. I don't see anything unusual right off the bat. For example, if I move the clips apart and place the scrubber in the gap, there's no sound or video showing up.

Are you saying that if you do that with this exact same project as it currently exists, that you see video in the preview window like you showed on your screen recording?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 18:36

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Your last clip has muted audio because of the amount of speedup. To maintain the audio, unselect the "Keep audio pitch" box, see pic.

Jeff
[Thumb - muted audio.png]
 Filename
muted audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
371 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
37 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 18:36

optodata
[Post New]
I think that's it. Whether the box is working as intended is debatable, but unchecking the Keep audio pitch does bring back the sound on the 3rd clip.

I would interpret the control as only being able to keep the pitch within the range of 0.5x - 2x and you'd get actual speed audio outside of that range rather than ending up with the audio muted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2015 18:45

YouTube/optodata