Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do you have any "Burning Dual-Layer DVD" tips?
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I've been hired to create a DVD of the memorial my church just had. The entire service was over 2.5 hours. I'm hoping I can edit to 2hrs. I'm anticipating needing to burn to a dual-layer DVD but I've never done that.

My first question is... Is there a way to specify where the DVD player switches layers? I'm asking because of the pause of the player during the switch. I don't want the pause in the middle of someone's sentence.

Thank you for your time,

Joe CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've been hired to create a DVD of the memorial my church just had. The entire service was over 2.5 hours. I'm hoping I can edit to 2hrs. I'm anticipating needing to burn to a dual-layer DVD but I've never done that.

My first question is... Is there a way to specify where the DVD player switches layers? I'm asking because of the pause of the player during the switch. I don't want the pause in the middle of someone's sentence.

Thank you for your time,

Joe

Most burn utilities will automatically define the layer transition or allow the user to specify sector for layer(0) break. I typically use ImgBurn. For many newer DVD players this is not nearly the issue it once was. With read buffering and upscaling, I've not noticed many issues on my stuff. I did have issue on a funeral service I did and this guide was helpful for me to define my own split appropriately so it was in nearby “dead” space.

I'd do nothing initially and see if you are happy with auto split point of whatever burn utility you use, if so, no need to figure anything out.

Jeff
 Filename
Choosing the Correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
382 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1068 time(s)
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Most burn utilities will automatically define the layer transition...
Do they choose black spots or quite spots?
Quote: ...or allow the user to specify sector for layer(0) break. I typically use ImgBurn.
I use ImgBurn also.

I'll take a peek at the pdf. Thank you

Joe CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
[Post New]
I find a post about how to burn video to a dual-layer DVD using Imgburn, you may have a look. Hope this helps you.
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/1780-how-to-write-dvd-video-files-directly-to-double-layer-media-using-imgburn/
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The guides supplied by Jeff and Emma are interesting as my version of imgburn does not allow you to Create Layer Break Position - Preview Selected Cell. It is like the the year 2006 guide linked by Emma that does not have a preview for the layer break but allow you to set it. That is what jcardana wants - to preview the layer break before selecting.

The imgburn guides also reccommend verbatim dvd+r dl only. I use the philips brand and get 3 out of 4 coasters each time after the 1st layer is burned and it errs out before burning the second layer. That info is also posted by other users and the moderator reccommendation I remember is to use only verbatims to solve this problem.

I ended up using Power2Go oem version and was 100% successful: 2 out of 2. It does not allow you to set or preview the break layer. I will install the latest version of imgburn later as Jeff's guide show the imgburn I would like to have.