Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhD6 / PhD7 menu bar not working in Windows 10
Bill_D [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2014 21:43 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 (both 64-bit), my PhotoDirector 6's (64-bit) menu bar and pop-down menus have stopped working. I've uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled, but that has not fixed the problem. I've reported it to CL's support, but they have not yet provided any solution. Has anyone else experienced this?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2015 21:14

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, no such problem with PhotoDirector 6 (64 bit).

What video card/chip? Are they up to date?

When you went to W10 did they work and then stop or did they never work in W10? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello stevek - latest video drivers (GeForce GTX750 Ti), no problems with any other applications/games/utilities. PhD6-64 menus worked fine in Windows 7, never worked with Windows 10.

I wonder if installing the 32-bit version would solve the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 23. 2015 21:33

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I would try that only as a last effort if nothign else works. Your W 10 should be 64 bit so the 64 bit PhotoDirector should be compatible. Heve you checked your Windows font settings to make sure they are at 100% (96 dpi)?

Two other possibilities come to mind: 1) The size of the Window has been enlarged to fit the entire screen so you must "move) the photo down to get the control to be seen (tied to resolution) so you may try to increase it. or 2) You have selected the full screen mode. Do you see any icons to the top left of the screen? Use those to return to normal view.

I'm not sure what else it could be.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 24. 2015 08:15

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
kevin2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2015 22:27 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
Good suggestion, stevek. Bill_D "may" be in full screen and might need to hit the "f" key on the keyboard to get out of it (and see everything else).

Prior to that, I had a problem with the Presets slider bar disappearing in PhD6 on my 64-bit personal computer with Windows 8.1, and also with PhD5 on a 64-bit computer with Windows 8.1 at work. Note: two different versions of PhD and on two different Windows machines (Acer & Dell, respectively).

I recently upgraded my personal computer to Windows 10 and have not had any issues. Fingers are crossed. laughing
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not in full screen mode, and I have no photos currently open. I've tried PhD6 windowed and maxed, and the menu bar still does not function at all. All other buttons/choices/right-clicks seem to work ok.
[Thumb - PhD6screencap.jpg]
 Filename
PhD6screencap.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
192 time(s)
stevek
[Post New]
Now I am confused ! embarassed What am I missing? What menu bar are you looking for? .
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Menu Bar - up at the top left, that starts with "File" and ends with "Help".
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm just as confused, since File through Help are in the file/image/screen grab I downloaded.
stevek
[Post New]
That's what confused me also.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2015 06:07

[Post New]
Hello Kevin & Steve,

Unless I'm misreading what Bill first posted, I think he means that even though the menu bar appears, the buttons aren't functioning.

Click on File > nothing. No dropdown options.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet taken the Win 10 step so I'm unable to test it here.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
stevek
[Post New]
Sorry if I misread the question.

I have upgraded to W10 and my buttons work. I just did the normal replacement of W8.1 with W 10. I did not do a clean install. .
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just opened PhD6 again a few moments ago. The menu bar's pop-down submenus have started working! I have done nothing - no Windows OS changes, no changes to any other software/utilities/drivers/settings. I just turned on the PC, opened PhD6 and the darned menu bar just started working. I have no idea why. Was it a Windows 10 patch? Was it a random act of kindness by my computer? I'll probably never know.

Thank you all for trying to help me. I really appreciate your efforts, and I hope one day that I can get proficient enough with this great software to be able to help other folks like you have helped me.

Best regards,

Bill
[Post New]
Hello Bill,

That's great news! laughing

Life is full of wondereful surprises so, yes, let's put it down to a "random act of kindness by my computer".

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Darn. Spoke too soon. It stopped working tonight. I've tried every possible Win10 compatibility setting, and the menu bar still won't work. I'm giving up and using another software that works. CL's support has been of little help and the ftp link they provided for me to upload them information files doesn't work. They haven't replied since August 24th. Thank you all on this forum for trying.

Bill
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bill,

I'm so sorry to hear that! i had a similar problem (menu bar in Presets not scrolling) and it drove me nuts. Fortunately, that happened during my trial time and I ended up having to re-image my machine, and everything worked out. Had it not, I probably would have done the same as you. (Truthfully.) It was terribly annoying.

As it turns out, I had the EXACT same problem as you on Saturday, and it FREAKED me out when File, Edit, Photo, View and Help acted like buttons (click on them and the words "blinked" but didn't do anything; the drop-downs didn't drop down). I was on vacation and did not have access to wi-fi and had no cell coverage so I couldn't share that with you.

My only solution was to minimize PhD6, drag in a photo and drop it (essentially importing it), and somehow that made everything work again. Fortunately, I have not had any problems since. I think I'm lucky.

My apologies I couldn't tell you earlier. Maybe that would work for you (?), but I won't pressure you in trying.

All the best!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2015 21:19

Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply, Kevin. I have done as you suggested, but that did not fix my problem with the menu bar items. Yes, they turn white as I mouse over them, but they do nothing when I click on them - all the other functions in the PhD6 screen work fine. I've been using and supporting PCs since 1982 and this situation really has be baffled.
Jefferson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2015 08:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same problem on PhD6 x64 and Windows 10 Pro x64. Top menu bar (File, Edit, Photo, View and Help) blinks on click and don't open. On Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, the PhD5/6 works fine.

Although the Windows 10 has his problems, and are many, perhaps this specific problem isn't related to new OS only, since the PH6 is the only tool with such issue (at least that I know).

Button's pop-up menus like zoom, share, customize toolbar, import, etc. are working fine. The problem is only in the top menu bar.
Jefferson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2015 08:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps this information has some relevance: In full screen the PhD6's appearance have no problem, but when not in full screen, the PhD6 displays a strange white line at the top edge of the window, as if the form (dark gray or black lead) was cutted. It is a small strip with 2 or 3 mm.

My version (x64) is 6.0.6225.0 (the last one), running on Windows 10 Pro x64 (10240).
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply, Jefferson. I don't see anything like what you've described at the top of PhD6's window. But everything else you've described matches what I've seen.

The fact that I've had no problems with any other programs since upgrading to Windows 10, and that the PhD6 menu bar submenu popdowns did work for me one time (see my 2015.08.26 comment) might indicate that there's a glitch in PhD6 with some graphics cards/drivers. (I'm running a GeForce GTX750 Ti with the latest drivers.) But that's just my guess.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2015 19:26