Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Object Outline, CutOut, Glow Feature
kevin2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2015 22:27 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
I saw something in an ad that made me want to know how to do it in PhD6. It was a photo with a child outlined in white (maybe two, possibly three pixels). I know this transitions a bit from traditional editing and lends itself to the more creative world, but the kid really stood out amongst the rest of the stuff in the photo. Is there a way to add a glow to an object, or outline an object, or cutout an object (and then add a glow to it)?

Maybe this could somehow be incorporated into Photo Composer, although I don't want to add a photo to a photo. I want to specifically outline an area/object/thing in a photo.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin

Intrigued by your description of the image that has inspired you, I had a bit of play to see if I could achieve a similar FX in PhotoDirector.

I couldn't quickly find a photo of a person, so I used a birthday cake, the idea would be the same whatever subject you choose.

Using several different masks, I quickly selected the area around the cake to remove colour, remove Clarity and to De-Focus.

Next, using the pen tool, I drew a boarder around the cake which included some of the cake.

Then I played with the feathering to achieve a suitable blur.

Then using the Exposure slider, I increased the exposure by 1.00

Trying to add some colour to this area proved to be a problem, the only way I could achieve any change was by using the White Balance, Temperature slider, this gave a warm glow FX.

I then adjusted the Clarity slider to -100 for the entire image which did achieve a softening FX.

Lastly I slid the Sharpness slider to +100 to sharpen the detail

This was all done very quickly, I'm sure if you spent more time you could achieve something similar to what you first saw. It is possible to add many more masks but I'll just stop here.

Hope it's a bit of inspiration for you.

Cheers

Glowing outline in PhotoDirector

Soften background in PhotoDirector
[Thumb - 1-David Forte-1-3.jpg]
 Filename
1-David Forte-1-3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
birthday cake halo
 Filesize
83 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
215 time(s)
[Thumb - 1-David Forte-1.jpg]
 Filename
1-David Forte-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Birthday Cake
 Filesize
307 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2015 09:32

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
kevin2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2015 22:27 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks so much, Kyle! I'll have to give it a try. My apologies for such a late response -- summer finally arrived, and because it's later than usual, I didn't want to miss it.

Thanks again!
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks so much, Kyle! I'll have to give it a try. My apologies for such a late response -- summer finally arrived, and because it's later than usual, I didn't want to miss it.

Thanks again!

Cheers Kevin, I know just what you mean, unfortunately summer hasn't really arrived where I live! I suppose I'll just have to wait till next yearfrown

Regards I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.