Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you organize your Presets?
kevin2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2015 22:27 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
I have downloaded a number of user created presets, 85 to be exact, and am trying to decide what would be the best way (or what ways might exist) to organize them.

It's easy to do with the ones of a particular genre that I have a lot of, like HDR, B&W, Scenery, etc...but there are a lot of "rogue" ones out there, one-offs, that don't fit a category.

Do you just create your special categories, then delete the presets from the Downloaded Presets folder, and just leave the one-offs in that Downloaded Presets folder? (The reason why I would delete them from the Downloaded Presets folder would be to keep that folder cleaner (make a smaller list to sift through) of the one-offs that still remain.)

Or do you just find it easier to leave them all in the Downloaded Presets folder? I imagine this could get quite messy if you did what I said in the paragraph above and then did the same if you had a ton of presets that you created.

Sorry for answering my original question. laughing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2015 23:34

[Post New]
Sorry, it's only me again.

You may have already though your way through this, Kevin, but I'll just share one way I help keep my presets organised... NAMING

You'll see hundreds of presets on DirectorZone that are, in my view, very poorly named. I wouldn't wish to point out particular examples but things like "Preset247", "Light Change" & "Trees" aren't very helpful.

So - when I create a preset, I try to name it to reflect what it does... HDR, Outdoor Clarity, Sharp & Clear etc. My created presets, therefore, are categories. HDR_1, HDR_2... Outdoor Clarity_1, Outdoor Clarity_2 etc...

With downloaded presets unhelpfully named 1459, I often apply it to an image, then use "Create" to rename to suit my own thinking, in the same way you might organise a filing cabinet.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
And hello to you! laughing

Thanks for your input! I certainly get where you're coming from, but since I'm so new to the scene here (and don't want to end up downloading the same preset bec I've forgotten it amongst the hundreds that I've seen), I've been hesitant on renaming any of my downloaded presets just yet. For those that are so poorly named, and man I've got a few, I've added my own notes to the name. For example, there is one that was called "Preset 1" - so I renamed it to "Preset 1 - with backlighting glare from sun." Admittedly, a bit long, but it works for me (right now).

So if I understand your presets, by name, are categories, you must have a never ending list of presets? (Not critiquing, just wrapping my head around it.)

Have you ever had the desire for sub-folders?
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Once again, Pix has given some really good advice.

I also try to put a meaning full name, it worked really well ( in the begining! ) but now I find that I also need to create folders to save presets. These folders are named after various projects, a kind of what I'm trying to achieve.surprised I probably have a lot of presets that are similar, but hey, it's a creative world out there.

I'm sure you'll find a good system that works with you.

Be creative and enjoy lifecool I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
Hello Kevin and Kyle,

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I'd never even noticed the Create Folder button embarassed Thank you both for alerting me, & other forum members, to this. I'm now in the process of moving my created presets into sub-folders on the basis of the categories I mentioned above (and deleting superfluous ones). I may do the same with downloaded presets too. That will save some scrolling!

PIX PIX YouTube channel
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Kevin and Kyle,

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I'd never even noticed the Create Folder button embarassed Thank you both for alerting me, & other forum members, to this. I'm now in the process of moving my created presets into sub-folders on the basis of the categories I mentioned above (and deleting superfluous ones). I may do the same with downloaded presets too. That will save some scrolling!

PIX

PIX,

How did this go?
[Post New]
I have now organised my created presets by sub-folder. Click here for a screenshot laughing

Once done, it works very well, saving a lot of scrolling. Downloaded presets can be re-organised in the same way.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very nicely done, PIX! I was waiting with baited breath, patiently. laughing
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
There you go, I told you Pix would come up with somethingcool

Very neat, Pix

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.