Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Project
Briansep [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Norwich UK Joined: May 27, 2015 10:35 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
When I open a new project, PD says it has to restart which it does and all is ok... Is this normal seems a bit strange......

Still looking into the no ICC issue.....
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I open a new project, PD says it has to restart which it does and all is ok... Is this normal seems a bit strange......

... but true. First it askes for the name of your new project, then it gives that shutdown message and then restarts. At least that is the way it owkrks for me. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Briansep [Avatar]
[Post New]
It seems to work ok that way just seems a little odd, why ours is not to reason why.........

Glad its the same for others..

Brian
Briansep [Avatar]
[Post New]
On the same subject as a new project, I note PD always creates a new folder for that project with a "project name.phd" file.

Can these files be grouped in another folder, i.e. a projects folder, or does the file have to remain in the original folder?

Brian
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: On the same subject as a new project, I note PD always creates a new folder for that project with a "project name.phd" file.

Can these files be grouped in another folder, i.e. a projects folder, or does the file have to remain in the original folder?

Brian

What is wrong with trhe default folder? Why don't you try it and tell us?

I think that you can select any folder you want but you may have to naviagte to it or open it and right click on the folder/file to open PhotoDirector.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2015 13:08

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Briansep [Avatar]
[Post New]
I make a new project for each shoot I do, so that means I get a new PD folder for each shoot. These are some times spread on different drives so for speed to open a project I thought it would be handy if I could group the phd files in one folder, it would save me looking for the project file over the drives.

Brian
[Post New]
Hello Brian,

I understand your initial question because I've wondered about it myself. I think it's because, unlike other software, all the imports and edits are "saved" as you work. In PDR, Microsoft Word and dozens of other programs, we're prompted to "Save" before closing.

So, yes, when you want to start a new project in PhD it needs to restart. The above is the only reason I can think of for that.

On your other question, each new project has its own folder & that folder can be stored wherever you wish. Though I don't necessarily have a separate folder for each "shoot", most of my PhD projects are stored in Documents/PhD Projects.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Briansep [Avatar]
[Post New]
To avoid the restart, I am thinking of using the album feature instead of a project, Should work ok I think, i.e. import every photo then star etc to sort.

Anyway I am getting used to how pd work and does stuff, it seems an ok replacement for Aperture so far
[Post New]
Hello Brian,

That idea might well work for you.

I don't typically use the Albums feature much. My usual workflow is to store photos from a shoot/event/period in sub-folders (in Windows) then import those folders. So, in effect, my folders are already "organised". The way I understand "albums" is that it's a way or either organising or re-organising.

For example, if you were doing a tribute video to "someone" you could create an album or a smart collection containing photos of "someone" based on (say) face tags. Everyone's purposes & workflow will be different.

Let us know how you go. We're all learning and benefit from others' experience.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Briansep [Avatar]
[Post New]
PIX,
I do the same with a shoot, I create a folder in my pictures folder (Mac) then import that into PD. I now do this with all my shoots. My problem was when I gave pictures ratings, i.e. 1 star 2 star etc, when I looked at the smart folder for 1 star etc , in it were all the 1 stars etc, from all my folders that had 1 stars.

So what I do now is star the pictures then create an album with just those 1 stars for that particular shoot.

So I am sticking with that unless there is another way

Brian