Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why did you choose PhotoDirector?
kevin2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2015 22:27 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
I have 10 days left in my trial. With all of the image/photo editing options out there, why did you choose PhD over the others? (Please know that I am new to PhD and have used Photoshop almost exclusively for 15 years, but open to change.) I have researched the message board and found responses to a similar question, defining what users say PhD does. Yet from what I can tell with the increased features being added since PhD3, the free application I got from my new laptop purchase, I think it's fair to say PhD has changed so much that it could be called an image/photo editing program (and make a true apples to apples comparison).

PhD6 is a very nice product. I mean no disrespect but it seems that for the same price (and possibly similar features?), I have the option of choosing something else like Adobe’s Photoshop Elements 13 or Corel’s PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate. Let’s presume Photoshop (not Elements) was ruled out because of the price (a valid reason for the everyday consumer), but the other products I mentioned even have books written showing you what you can do and how to do that (plus you can find out SO MUCH about them from other users online).

So, what feature, reasons or specific needs for your images made you select the Cyberlink product and not choose from the industry heavyweights with their strong user following?

Thanks in advance!
[Post New]
Hello kevin2015,

Based on your previous PhD posts offering suggestions & seeking advice, it seems you're still in the process of deciding what's best for you.

You're absolutely right. There are many similarities with some other photo workflow, organising & editing software, both in interface & function. You're equally correct in referring to the "heavyweights" having a solid user base & well documented/published support & resource material. PhotoDirector was only released by CyberLink in late 2011, so it's youthful by comparison.

Of course, you need to select software that best matches your purpose(s). PhD is able to do a mountain of things you couldn't achieve using, say, PaintShop Pro... and vice versa. That's not a fair comparison because one doesn't even attempt to be photo workflow software.

Personally, as a long time user of PowerDirector, I like what PhotoDirector does. Integration with PDR is a plus, but I use PhD as a standalone much of the time. Yes, I use other photo editing software too, where it meets particular needs at the time.

Re-reading your post gives the idea that you're close to a decision anyway.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX,

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I am close to a decision, of which I may or may not pull the trigger (on the upgrade) quite yet. Who knows? And if I don’t, not purchasing it doesn’t mean I don’t like it or won’t buy it in the future. (Was that a quintuple negative?!?! What did I just say?) It’s summer and I don’t want to find myself glued to a monitor. Plus, it appears that PhD has a fairly regular September release and that really isn’t that far away to get the next edition. There are several features I do like. EDIT: Just to clarify, I do own PhD3.

I’ve seen this before but I’m fairly unfamiliar with the term so I’ll have to look up what “photo workflow software” really means, and how it would affect me. To me, I take a lot of photos. Some I need to edit, some are good as is, and then there are those I keep, but just don’t do anything with them. And for organizing? Mine are just organized by date, which often turns out to be an event. Fairly simple I guess. Maybe I’ve got some more research to do. Equally, I guess that’s where I look at features and how much a program can do, in the cost/benefit analysis (bringing in the other products as a comparison).

Finally, I do very little video editing, so I'm not sure how PDR could integrate into (improve?) my life. EDIT: While I recently got a GoPro camera, doesn't their free software do a lot of the same features as PDR?

Thanks so much for your response!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2015 19:16

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin

Interesting account of your observations on software! So, I thought I'd add my 2 penny's worth.

PhotoDirector is a simple program that produces good results in a relatively short time.

Yes, it's not Photoshop but there again it never pretended to be, that's in a different league ( as well as price ) all together.

Why did I start to use it?

I've used the PowerDirector software for some years now, so when CyberLink started to offer a complete package with all thier editing software I thought I'd try out the trial, liked and it then upgraded to CL PowerDirector Ultimate.

Hope that helps.

Now, back to washing the dishes innocent

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2015 12:07

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for your reply, Kyle!

I guess i have some more research to do (into video editing). Thanks again!
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm in! And not "just in," but "all in." I bought Director Suite. So not only do I get PhD6 but a bunch of other CyberLink goodies. laughing
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm in! And not "just in," but "all in." I bought Director Suite. So not only do I get PhD6 but a bunch of other CyberLink goodies. laughing

Congratulations kevin2015, hope you have some great funlaughing

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.