Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Huge lag when editing in PowerDirector12 after Windows 8.1 'forced' Upgrade
NoahVoss [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2015 13:45 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello and thank you in advance for any insight!

I have included my DxDiag, but let me know if there is any other information that could help narrow down a cause.

Ever since I was forced to update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 my PowerDirector 12 Ultimate gets very laggy to the point that it is unusable. I purchased PowerDirector 11 some years ago, then paid for the upgrade to PowerDirector 12 perhaps a year ago when I first got this computer. I am currently working on a project that is broken into two files. Part 1 is approximately 39 minutes and Part 2 is approximately 55 minutes. I did experience this same major lag/glitches during the editing process in a shorter video I produced as well around 16 minutes.

After trying every combination of drivers for my graphics card, and of course verifying that Windows is completely up-to-date through the opperating system, I am curious if anyone else has had to update their Chipset Drivers? It looks like AMD has two updates available, but my Windows opperating system is not asking for them, so of course I would be very hesitant to go throwing them at it.

My other thought is that running a system check through Dell reveals that there could be some new drivers that I could install, however I have yet to do this too as in my experience this usually means more headaches than help.

I am open to upgrading to PowerDirector 13 Ultimate or PowerDirector 13 Perpetual at some point, or right now if anyone supposes that it might fix my glitchy running now.

Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Noah
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag that I ran after a restart
 Filesize
82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
310 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Noah

I'm sorry to hear that your computer is having problems, and thanks for posting so many helpful details! You don't say what kind of video you're editing, but the specs for your system are towards the low end and some of the lagging might be inevitable, especially if you put in lots of effects or video corrections.

First off, however, we need to deal with the main issues that show up in your DXDiag results. Since the problems seem to have appeared when you updated Windows from 8 to 8.1, we should focus there before we worry about other issues like updating drivers. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Follow the steps in this *thread* to run the SFC command. Please post the results here

2. If that's successful - either finding no problems OR finding problems and repairing them - continue with updating the drivers. If not, you'll have to use your original discs or downloaded images to repair your Windows installation

3. Go to the Dell support *site* and click on Detect Product. Download and install all appropriate updates

4. Go to the Intel *website* and use the tool to automatically download the video drivers for your CPU's built-in graphics processor. You can also manually search *here* for Graphics Drivers|Laptop graphics drivers|3rd gen... HD Graphics 4000 and install the driver

5. Go to the AMD *website* and have click on the Download Now link to autodetect your system. You can also manually select Notebook Graphics|Radeon HD Series|Radeon HD 7xxxM Series|Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit and install that

6. Uninstall PD12, Quicktime and SmartSound, then reinstall them all. Note that you'll need to have your license key handy to reactivate them!

Basically, the issues you're experiencing with Windows (the BSODs, or Blue Screens of Death) are may main concern. Hopefully SFC will find and repair everything, and then it's a matter of getting the main drivers updated. Although sometimes problems are introduced after updating drivers, the vast majority of the time newer drivers will make a noticeable to significant improvement in your workflow. Remember that you can ALWAYS roll back a driver update if you suspect that it's making things worse.

I know this looks like a lot of work, but it may only take a few minutes to do each step. Once you've done evrything here, your computer should be much more stable and you should be able to focus on editing again.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes smile

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 19:44

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
NoahVoss

For PD to run lag free you will nee atleast 8 GB of RAM, especially when editing HD and you seem to have. As asked in PM you may also update chipset drivers for your windows version.

Delete the temp files. Use CCleaner a free ware

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 21:56

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
He does have 8gb of ram and his page file is 16gb (2x ram) according to the dxdiag.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2015 14:09

NoahVoss [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello All-Wow, thank you each so much.

I really was moved and super appreciate the detailed replies.

I’m torn at this point. I’ve done the all the system maintenance and hard drive scans (that I am familiar with) with any repairs offered through the software just not solving what must be several root issues. I’ve attached my CBS file (hopefully no dangerously personal info in there). It looks like I am at a turning point both emotionally and simply having fallen so behind on my own deadlines. I might try a system refresh (reverts back to Windows 8 keeping files but removing all softwares, for those not familiar) which will be my second one in about two weeks. Either that or toss in the towel and throw my credit card at the problem with the Geek Squad or something.

As I’m sure we all have likely done, I’ve invested dozens of hours trying to chase down the multiple troubles over the last two weeks now. Feels more like I’m chasing my tail at this point rather than getting ahead.Perhaps a second system refresh will go smoother. I also have not tried the CCleaner that I know of. I’ll be looking into that today as well, thank you for the suggestion.

I agree my system may leave a bit to be desired. Frustrating because PowerDirector was working fine and smooth on these same projects when I was on Windows 8. Admittedly that does not mean that it has to work on my system running Windows 8.1 however. Building or buying a new system may be in my near future too.

Thanks again to everyone who has spent any of their precious time and energy on my post. I most sincerely appreciate it. I'll be back to post a follow up as soon as I have tried a few more of everyone's suggestions.

Noah clawing his way back zero
 Filename
CBS.log
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4420 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
256 time(s)
NoahVoss [Avatar]
[Post New]
P.S.

Terribly sorry. I forgot to answer at least one question I saw. I am editing an HD project. It can be viewed after rendering in full 1080p.

Thanks again,

Noah
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Noah Thanks for your kind comments. I think everyone here wants you to get your system running again!

Your CBS log doesn't contain anything personal, and to be honest the only issue that I saw was a problem with some .json files, which are used when building websites.

Did you check in with the various websites and install the recommended drivers? You may have but you didn't say specifically.

If you decide to do a Refresh, you may actually want to try a Reset which will completely reinstall Win8.1 on your computer. The downside is that you'll need to reinstall all your apps and files, but the good news is that you'll be starting with Windows in a fully operational and known state. Also, you don't need to pay anyone to do this.

Please make a backup to an external drive before you Reset so that you'll be able to quickly restore your personal files (you'll still need to reinstall all your apps, though).

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
You might want to contact Cyberlink support. One user here downloaded the PD13 trial at the suggestion of support and said it worked well. See this link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43240.page . His problems also started with the win 8.1 update. Looks like PD13 is more compatible with win 8.1.
NoahVoss [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello again all-

So in regards to optodata:

1. I did the SFC command and posted the CBS file. I ran another scan and got the same basic result.

2. I did not perform this step of using my original discs as someone on here mentioned that my CBS file looked relatively well minus some website files (which I have yet to reload my website building softwares, so that may be the red flag). I am happy to load the original discs that came with the laptop if folks are thinking that is a wise step however.

3. When it rains it pours. So I went to the Dell site, which I had been on before and successfully ran their diagnostic tool. However this trip, and about 40 following attempts, all failed at the same point. I’ve tried all the work arounds I could think of last night through to this evening again and nothing. I use their auto detect feature that pulls my laptop build including service tag (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/BVMQDW1/diagnose?s=DHS). From there it is just click on the “Diagnostics” it begins, then downloads their software. I agree and install. Then after it continues on with the diagnostic, I get an error code saying “There was a problem with your internet connection. Please try running the diagnostic again.” I’ve tried clearing my cache, restarting IE and restarting my laptop but nothing seems to change. I also hunted down the Dell diagnostic tool software on my laptop and uninstalled it. Went back and tried again to the same error end. I also tried Waterfox however that seems to be having some issues of its own. I had been using Waterfox exclusively a few weeks ago, however now the page only loading the frame but everything else blank. An odd glitch, so I uninstalled Waterfox, restarted, downloaded again and reinstalled only to have the same issue with Waterfox not actually loading a screen correctly. Getting far afield here I fear. Best I deal with that later, unless anyone thinks it’s related. (My apologies if all of these details are not welcomed, I wasn’t sure what is important, so I am just kind of including everything). I did find the ‘Support Assist’ by Dell on their support page that was supposed to help with keeping your system updated. I downloaded and ran that successfully (small win, I’ll take it). However of course it says my system is up to date.

4 I ran this utility from Intel as well and had 3 updates ‘needed’ which is different from when I ran it a week or two ago, when it told m.e I had two updates ‘needed’ neither of which would install after I downloaded them. I even manually found them online and tried to install them with the same results awhile back. Okay so I am trying to install the first of the three updates and this is what also happened last time…the two options I am given are “Repair” or “Uninstall” of which I have tried both the last time I was here. There is no “Install” which makes me think that I already have these installed. I’ve got a Wireless Driver, a Wireless Bluetooth Driver and an HD Graphics Driver for Windows (which sounds the most promising). I ran through the ‘repairs’ on each that would allow it.

5. I ran this utility from AMD too. It says that I have the most updated driver for my system. I did notice a week or two ago that AMD does have a beta driver out and almost gave that a shot. I would if anyone thought it might help.

6. Well after all that, and a half a dozen more attempts at fixing general glitches I decided to try PowerDirector 13. I got the “PowerDirector Suite 3” and so far not so great. I did the download with the disc back up. I tried to load one of my last projects and had to ‘re-map’ a bunch of the audio downloads and even two of the video source files. After that, it loaded up and gave me one notice saying something to the effect of “some effects will not function in this and have been removed.” Then the project finished loading and about 90% (not dramatized) of my video files are simply black/blank. When I go into the view in the upper left to show only “Video” the display reveals maybe 8 source clips when I probably had more like 80.

So now I realize I may have gone very far afield, and that this thread may now belong in the PowerDirector 13 but I thought I would at least reply to everyone who was so kind to share their time and thoughts on my issue. I it does no one any good to just leave these threads all open and unresolved. Even if my issue is unresolved but just shifted for the time being, at least someone in the future may save a few headaches by learning from mine.

I’m going to do a shut down and restart on the laptop. I’ll make sure I have PowerDirector 13 registered and such. Then I’ll try loading a project or two and see if the same things happen. As of now it happened the first two times I tried to open the same project.

Thanks again to all, and I am very…very open to constructive suggestions.

Noah
NoahVoss [Avatar]
[Post New]
P.S.
I wonder if me installing PowerDirector 11 from the box set that I purchased years ago, then purchasing the download upgrade (with disc backup) of PowerDirector 12 and now the download upgrade (with disc backup) of PowerDirector 13 would have its own issues. That is to say perhaps, it would be a 'cleaner' less 'glitchy' software for me on my system if I simply installed PowerDirector 13 from a full box set (as apposed to the updates and downloads). Just a thought.
Noah
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
It seem like you are asking what is the best thing to do. The steps optodata outlined looks great if you can complete them. It seem that your internet connection may be preventing you from doing that.

Recalled that two users that I answered previously last year complained of slow editing on their pc with PD12. Their pc from what they posted are about the same as mine or much more powerful than mine. They cannot edit 1080/60p smoothly or in real time even with shadow files on and at the lowest preview quality. I can do it at full HD preview with no problem. The issue was never solved. Both are currently PD13 users now. The one thing both had in common was win 8.1.

Before spending more money, you might try the trial version of PD13 if you want to stay with win 8.1.
optodata
[Post New]
ACK! I spent 10 minutes writing a detailed reply but it never postedyell

The gist is: Do a Restore Your PC to install Win8.1 on top or your existing version. There's probably a 50% chance that this will resolve your connection and diagnostics problems, and unfortunately I think you really need to address these issues before you'll be able to get PD12 or 13 running properly.

The last resort is to Reset Your PC, which will wipe your C: drive and install Win8.1 from scratch. It'll take about a day to get everything reinstalled and you'll definitely want to make a backup before you go through with it, but you'll end up with a computer that's stable and reliable and able to run PD as smoothly as possible.

Let us know what you decide, and how it turns out!

YouTube/optodata