Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sync by audio in main edit window
bkp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2014 19:26 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone. Newbie to Cyberlink here.

The track jumping issue with "sync by audio".

I am editing a roller derby bout, start to finish. The footage (all HD) consists of a continous overhead feed from a go-pro, which I put on track 1. Track 2 is HD video from a Samsung G5, and track 3 is from a canon video camera. The video on tracks 2 and 3 are trackside clips which start and stop between jams (think downs in football). The finished video is around 30 minutes, and tracks 2 and three will each contain around 25 clips each. Each of those clips need to be synced before editing, and "sync by audio" is a great time saving tool for that.

Attachment #1 is what the project will/should look like, (with additional clips) when multiple tracks are synced, before any of the clips are edited. In this instance, I have moved them manually individually up to their home track after using "sync by audio". In order for "sync by audio" to be totally efficient, it should do that automatically.

Step one is to put the first three clips on their respective tracks, select all, then sync by audio. So far, works perfectly, as shown in Attachment #2

The issue comes with step two, where I place the second clip on track 2 in it's approximate position and then select it and the track 1 clip, and then hit "sync by audio". Instead of merely moving the track 2 clip down the track to its' synced position, it moves the go-pro footage from track 1 down to track 4, and puts the clip from track 2 down to track 5, leaving track 1 empty, as shown in Attachment #3.

In what world would that be the desired result? While they are still synced, I now I to manually move the clip on track 4 back up to its former home on the now empty track 1, and move that clip on track 5 back up to track 2, all while making sure to keep them in exact position time-wise. Multiply that by 50-ish for the entire project, and you can see my issue.

My question is, is that a glitch, or is that how it is designed and how it works for everyone? Is there a setting or step that I am missing? I have tried a few different ways, but they always jump track. Having 100 clips on 100 different tracks would make further editing a nightmare.

If anyone is interested in seeing what CyberLink is capable of, a finished video is on you tube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gHijqtiNQ8 Three video sources, different formats and bit rates, all HD, and when burned to a standard dvd, (no menu) using AVCHD, are as sharp as any blu-ray.

PD13 64bit Ultimate 13.0.2604.0

SR: VDE150123-01

Windows 7
[Thumb - Att#2.JPG]
 Filename
Att#2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
three tracks after sync by audio
 Filesize
178 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
90 time(s)
[Thumb - Attachment #1.jpg]
 Filename
Attachment #1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
what it should do
 Filesize
474 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
94 time(s)
[Thumb - Att#3.JPG]
 Filename
Att#3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
after second track on track 2, sync by audio
 Filesize
180 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
95 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I plan to go to a roller derby in a few weeks. Where did you film? Ok, sounds like you issue is it is not able to find a sound it can clearly match and becomes confused. It has has to be a few times. It is great when it works, but it is not perfect. I hope someone else can give you a better answer. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bkp -

I've had the same thing occur here when there's a series of clips in each of the timelines (i.e. not continuous recording). PDR 13 syncs each group of clips, but tosses them down into higher numbered tracks.

That doesn'tchange the produced result but, of course, you'd want to do other editing.

When you're moving the groups of clips back to the "top" tracks, it's easiest to just pick them up as a group so they stay synced.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty much a beginner with PDR (and video editing in general) so this suggestion might not work...

Have you tried using the Multicam Editor for this? I take it that your audio for syncing is the announcer's voice over the pa system? Picked up well by all the cameras?

Here's how I'd tackle it:

I'd take my GoPro footage (which you say was continuous throughout the entire event) and split it into more manageable chunks. (You shouldn't loose anything by doing this.)

Then I'd take the first "chunk" and the clips from the other two cameras that were from the same time span and put them all into the MultiCam Editor. I'd use that to produce my first finished section. Then I'd take the second "chunk" from the GoPro footage and do the same, etc. until I've got it all done.

I've tried synchronizing by audio on the main editor and it can be done, but it's much harder to then flip back and forth between the different camera views. I find the ME to be really great.

Hope this helps.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eldor -

That looks like a decent sort of workflow to adopt.

The advantage, as I see it, of MC in the timeline is if you want a variety of screen formats - PiP, split screen, collage etc. MC Designer is great if you only want to switch between cameras at full screen.

An example - https://youtu.be/xTH8X9VnqUA

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
bkp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2014 19:26 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
That is exactly why I am remaing in main timeline rather than using the MC plug-in. I do a great deal of editing to each clip (audio levels for each track, white balance, cropping, etc) after syncing, which is not possible after you "record" in MC. I have included a screencap of the project after all editing to illustrate. I am thinking of doing a tutorial as I edit the next bout, to show not only how I move the clips after syncing, but also to illustrate how when you are in the main timeline and you trim or cut a clip to change the view to another track, the part that you trim is still there, merely hidden. It took me a while to understand that concept, but it enables me to go back at any time and change the timing of each cut to a different camera (track).

I hope that TPTB at CyberLink add the fuction to allow clips to stay on their home track after syncing in their next upgrade. It would save me a lot of time for sure. Here is the you tube link to the first half video shown in the attachment below, if anyone is interested in the scope of the project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jhR3-ZFTghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jhR3-ZFTg

brian
[Thumb - Atomic 1sthalf.JPG]
 Filename
Atomic 1sthalf.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
project screen cap
 Filesize
325 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
90 time(s)