Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Displaying incorrect date created
JSC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 20, 2012 09:22 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
Why do all my video clips have the date I imported them as their date created date? For instance, I just created a project and imported a bunch of digital video files. When I right-click and choose View Properties, they all give today's date as their date created, instead the actual date which was from a few years ago. How can I get it to display the actual dates they were created?

Thank you PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why do all my video clips have the date I imported them as their date created date? For instance, I just created a project and imported a bunch of digital video files. When I right-click and choose View Properties, they all give today's date as their date created, instead the actual date which was from a few years ago. How can I get it to display the actual dates they were created?

Thank you

Did you copy those videos from the original source to a new working folder for your project?

If so Windows changed the date when you copied the file.

If you check with Windows Explorer, and check properties you should get three dates.
Created
Modified
Accessed

The Modified date is probably when the video was actually shot.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

TedM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2011 10:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl312,

I want to use PowerDirector as my video editor. The one criteria I have is to be able to show the data and time that I took the video. I know they are included from my miniDV tapes, is it possible to have those automatically shown on the videos I create?

Thanks!

Ted
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why do all my video clips have the date I imported them as their date created date? For instance, I just created a project and imported a bunch of digital video files. When I right-click and choose View Properties, they all give today's date as their date created, instead the actual date which was from a few years ago. How can I get it to display the actual dates they were created?

Thank you

Hi JSC

You can have Windows show you both the date the files were modified, (imported) and also the date and time they were created but I don't think you can control which date PD will use.

To have Windows display the actual date and time that the recordings were made, just right-click on one of the column headings in Windows Explorer and check the box next to "Date Created." You'll now have a column showing the date and time when the media was recorded and you can sort by that to get the files in their actual chronological recording order

Once that's done you might want to rename the files to make them easier to keep track of, and you can use this method to rename all the files with a single common name and Windows will add an ascending number to every file you've selected.

Quote:
I want to use PowerDirector as my video editor. The one criteria I have is to be able to show the data and time that I took the video. I know they are included from my miniDV tapes, is it possible to have those automatically shown on the videos I create?

Thanks!

Ted, I don't think there's any way to do that automatically, but it's very easy to create a simple title that shows the time and date and you can overlay that on each of your clips. Once you create a title with the look and feel that you're looking for (fonts, colors, motion, fades), just copy it and update the info for each clip.

Check out the tutorials section here and look at the Text and Titles videos to get some ideas of how to do that.

Good luck!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JSC -

In support of & addition to the advice Carl & optodata have provided, the Date Created shown in PDR's properties is the same as Date Modified in Windows Explorer (just as Carl stated)...

... IF the file has been imported directly from your camera (see attached screenshot)

If it's been produced previously, or gone through some other processing, the date created will reflect that. Are the files imported directly from your camera? i.e. transferred to HHD then imported?

As optodata said, PDR cannot automatically display the date or other metadata. If you want it displayed, you'd need to do it in the way he described.

Cheers - Tony

Typos, typos typos
[Thumb - Date.png]
 Filename
Date.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
124 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
43 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2015 05:03

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!