Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
crop black borders
nikolo [Avatar]
Member Location: athens Joined: Oct 28, 2012 06:52 Messages: 127 Offline
[Post New]
hello i have a vdieo file (1920x1080) but in my power dvd appears w ith black borders left and right.can i do something wiht power dierctor 13 to crop,disable fix it?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: hello i have a vdieo file (1920x1080) but in my power dvd appears w ith black borders left and right.can i do something wiht power dierctor 13 to crop,disable fix it?

Hi nikolo,
Please provide more information on the video you're editing, (the MediaInfo/properties) see the guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page part J.
You might have the Aspect Ratio incorrectly set to display 4:3 in Preview. Change the Aspect Ratio to 16:9, (very top of the interface, there is an option button (4:3 or 16:9 is displayed).
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2015 12:49

nikolo [Avatar]
[Post New]
is the grand budapest hotel movie begin as 16:9 movie but during palying power dvd or after convert with power director appaers with borders
[Post New]
Quote: hello i have a vdieo file (1920x1080) but in my power dvd appears w ith black borders left and right.can i do something wiht power dierctor 13 to crop,disable fix it?

The video space might be 1920x1080 but the actual video information might be just a 4:3 format - for example many older shows were filmed in 4:3 format, because that was the TV aspect back then.
Now, on wide screen 16:9 TV's or 16:10 PC monitors, it will have the black bars on sides. Sure, you can zoom in and crop to get rid of the bars, but that will get rid of some original image too.
or you can stretch the image to fill all the space, but then people and objects will look deformed.

Is no way around it.

A good read: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5pFed7ivSQU/learn/learningcenter/home/aspect_ratio.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2015 13:06

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Or you might need to change the Clip Properties.

Right click on track video.

Alter Clip Properties

Dafydd

You mentioned PowerDVD, please address issues to the PowerDVD forum.
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-1340.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-1340.png
[Disk]
 Description
Right Click
 Filesize
92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
954 time(s)
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-1341.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-1341.png
[Disk]
 Description
Set Clip Properties to 16:9
 Filesize
125 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
952 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2015 13:10

nikolo [Avatar]
[Post New]
thank you both of them
Hannah [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2016 01:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Very helpful as I tried so many other things but this worked.

Thanks
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

The video space might be 1920x1080 but the actual video information might be just a 4:3 format - for example many older shows were filmed in 4:3 format, because that was the TV aspect back then.
Now, on wide screen 16:9 TV's or 16:10 PC monitors, it will have the black bars on sides. Sure, you can zoom in and crop to get rid of the bars, but that will get rid of some original image too.
or you can stretch the image to fill all the space, but then people and objects will look deformed.

Is no way around it.

A good read: [url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5pFed7ivSQU/learn/learningcenter/home/aspect_ratio.html
]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5pFed7ivSQU/learn/learningcenter/home/aspect_ratio.html
[/url]

Actually, Sonic, there is a way around it! Cyberlink provides it as part of the editing process for anyone who's captured content from old VHS or Beta videocassettes(or even the Video 8, or Hi-8 camera tapes) that were naturally in 4:3 aspect ratio. It's CLPV and I've used it myself quite a bit recently when converting old VHS content for a friend. It does trim a little off the top & bottom of the image, but not so much as you'd really miss, then pulls the image out horizontally to almost reach the left & right sides of the screen. There remains a thin black line down each side of the screen but hardly enough to worry about. Dafydd B's graphic shows how to get to the adjustment, all you do then is to select "Video is 4:3" then select CLPV from the options in the drop-down list. There you have it! On reading further of Nicolo's responses, he says the video starts out at 16:9 but, at a given point, drops to 4:3 aspect ratio. At the point of the change, split the video, then apply the CLPV to the remainder of the video. Hope that's of help.

Cheers!

Neil
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neil.F.1955,
Take a look at the date of the posts you are referencing. My last post was dated 26/01/2015 = this is an old thread and the "issue" has been answered to the satisfaction of the OP. The thanks comment made by nikolo ended the thread whereas Hannah's both revived the thread but at the same time was a closure comment. There was no need for your input Neil.
I'm locking this thread.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2016 03:34