Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Difficulty with MOV files
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Hey fella's,

I am having a heck of a time with MOV files. It started in PD12. Now that I have PD13, I have the same problem.

What is going on is, the MOV files don't play properly in the timeline. The audio does not sync with the video, and often the video just skips to the end while the audio stays back. It is making it impossible to edit any MOV files.

I keep hitting pause and start and pause, etc trying to get the time line marker to stay where it belongs, but that is not working.

Oh, another thing. When I load a MOV file, the icons all disappear. I have to sweep my mouse cursor around inside the window to make them show up again.

I have three cameras now that all shoot MOV! So this is making me crazy!

Any suggestions? ~Tom~
Duane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2015 04:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I find I have this problem if I try and preview in HD. Try lowering the resolution on your preview screen and see what happens
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Kmot,
May I suggest
1. you carry out a video screen capture of the events you have described to show CyberLink what is happening on your system when mov files are introduced.
2. You provide a video sample off all three sources, 5 seconds long and attached to the post here. Note: these sample files should not be edited off or passed through any form of editing program. Please state the cameras used.
3. A diagnostic of your PC.

I have asked for sample video rather than MediaInfo as it would enable an actual check with you material by members and by CyberLink. The diagnostic will reveal specific data. For example, the icon disappearance can be associated with Nvidia GPU's but I have been told it does affect AMD cards too. It is not acceptable in my view to have black screens appear.

Lowering Preview screen res has no effect on icon disappearance.

Guide: Part A, B, E, F will help: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2015 06:21

[Post New]
Quote: I am having a heck of a time with MOV files.
Any suggestions?

MOV format is played using Quicktime. It's silly, but that's how Apple plays the game - only their software can be used and only 32 bit for Windows.

Uninstall and reinstall Quicktime, maybe it helps.
Personally I stay away from everything "mov", If I don't have another choice, I use handbrake to convert first.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2015 06:35

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I've used MOV clips for several years without any problems. Perhaps you can shed a light for us on the type of capture devices that you're using. Win 10, i7
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm interested to know what mov files are being used.
Dafydd
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies guys!

Duane, I have the preview resolution set low and lousy.

Dafydd, I will get the info you asked for. However, I do not know how to get 5 seconds of the MOV video without running it thru PD. How can I get the samples you ask for? All I have are the original files and it is huge.

The cameras I am using that save MOV files are a Canon T3i, a Casio Exilim ZR1000, and a Walkera iLook+ and maybe one other too. I forget if one of my Gopros's is MOV or not.

~Tom~
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Kmot,

Dafydd, I will get the info you asked for. However, I do not know how to get 5 seconds of the MOV video without running it thru PD. How can I get the samples you ask for? All I have are the original files and it is huge.

You take your camera that shoots MOV, point at something, record for 5 seconds. Upload that camera file to the forum.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kmot
[Post New]
Hah Hah! That's it? Man I thought there was some super complicated process!!

Seriously, I thought Dafydd wanted 5 seconds of each MOV clip I am already using in PD.

In the meantime, here is a typical problem when trying to work with a MOV file. You will note that the video freezes, while the audio continues. Then the video starts again, but it is not quite in sync with the audio.

~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
Whoops...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2015 23:04

~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
Here are the diagnostics Dafydd.
 Filename
KMOT DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
418 time(s)
 Filename
KMOT 64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
404 time(s)
~Tom~
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the diagnostics. I'd really like 5 seconds samples of the mov files as well please.

All three sources please.

Dafydd
Kmot
[Post New]
Yes Dafydd, working on it. It's been raining.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2015 12:50

~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
5 seconds. Crap. I just shot 5 minutes each. Dang, what an idiot. Should have double and triple checked.

I will do it over. ~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
Okay, let me try this again, lol.
 Filename
PD13 MOV Clips.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
64437 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
293 time(s)
~Tom~
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom -

I see it's stopped raining

I tried your clips on 2 PCs - i7 920 & i73930K - neither had any difficulty playing the clips smoothly. On both PCs, I inserted the 3 clips 50 times to give a total duration of 18:20:00. No problems, even though I fully expected the i7-920 to judder a bit.

When I first read your post, I jumped to the unfounded conclusion that VBR may have been at the root of the issue, but the clips from the Walker iLook (00000002.MOV) & the Casio ZE1000 (CIMG1451.MOV) have reasonable bitrates - 12 & 15MBps respectively. Only the Canon T3i (MVI_6449.MOV) is a bit higher - 46MBps. So - wrong assumption.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2015 18:31

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kmot
[Post New]
Thanks for checking up on them Tony. ~Tom~
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Kmot, I have the exact same problem whenever I edit any clip in colour director.
Have any of your clips been edited this way?
If I do, I have the video racing off down the track, often skipping huge chunks and stopping at the end, with the audio still playing along as it should. It usually then stops, freezing at some stage. I have m2ts files, not mov, but the same issue whenever editing with colourdirector.

However, I had PD9 years ago, and edited ALL my .mov files from my old JVC camera with it. No problem (except an aspect ratio problem). Jenny
Kmot
[Post New]
Jenny, I have not used my ColorDirector lately. But previously, I had no issues however not sure I ever used a MOV file with it.

I have used PowerDirector since Version 4. I only have had an issue with MOV files since PD12. ~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
Does anyone have a suggestion about what I might try to get this going a little easier? It is so hard and difficult to try to edit anything if there even is a single MOV file in it. Right now I am trying to edit a video with MOV, MP4, and AVI and it is a super hassle with the constant frame freeze, skipping to the end, and all that stuff. ~Tom~