Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
using PD with GoPro files?
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
I have a GoPro silver video camera and GoPro's video program, GoPro Studio. I also recently purchased PD 13.

First of all, I'm pretty much a rank amateur with video other than I've fooled around for several years with Microsoft Movie Maker.

So, in the Studio help file, it says:

Using GoPro Studio with 3rd Party Applications
In this advanced workflow, you convert your camera source files into GoPro CineForm files, use GoPro Studio to add color effects, adjust framing and other settings, then use those same GoPro CineForm files in other 3rd party applications for further editing or processing. This workflow requires another video editing or compositing application to be installed on your computer. Some of the popular professional applications are Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer and Sony Vegas. GoPro CineForm files are also compatible with various consumer-level products, such as iMovie, Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Movie Studio Platinum and Windows Movie Maker.
NOTE: GoPro CineForm files are saved as standard AVI and MOV files so applications that support those file formats should be able to use GoPro CineForm files.

Now, I know that I could never load those GoPro files (.mp4) into MovieMaker but they load fine in PD. I just purchased a very fast Dell- super fast with a large SSD boot drive, 24 gigs of ram, a fast video card, the fastest CPU offered by Dell, etc.

So, if PD can handle editing .mp4 files, is there any reason to follow the advice of GoPro to first convert the files their CineForm, which according to that help file are saved as AVI and MOV files?

That is, it seems my computer is plenty powerful enough to handle .mp4 files, but is there also an issue with quality, such that the quality is improved if first converted to CineForm?

Well, the following is what the Studio help file gives as a reason to first convert to CineForm.

Why Convert to the GoPro CineForm Format?
The first step in any GoPro Studio workflow is to convert your source files into the GoPro CineForm format. This is very important and there are several reasons to do this.
All consumer-level cameras and many professional-level cameras record in highly compressed video formats designed to capture large amounts of data very quickly and save that data onto an SD card or other portable media format in as small a file as possible. This is great for recording large amounts of data onto a small space, but these compression formats are not designed nor optimized for maintaining image quality during editing or color correction processes. Because these formats are so compressed, they often require an ultra powerful computer to decode (playback) the files without performance degradation (choppy playback or dropped frames).
Because of this, many professional filmmakers and consumer-level videographers use what is called a Digital Intermediate (DI). A DI is an exact copy of the data from the original video file saved in a file format that is specifically optimized for higher image quality and fast playback on modern computer systems. This makes for a much better editing experience.
The GoPro CineForm format (or codec) is the Digital Intermediate (DI) used in all GoPro Studio workflows and is one of the best in the industry—used by indie filmmakers and Hollywood studios alike. It has been standardized by SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers) as the VC-5 codec.
Ultimately, GoPro CineForm files are better for editing than camera source files. They improve on image quality and playback speed, as well as provide the Active MetadataTM architecture required to enable the real-time image development and enhancement features available in GoPro Studio’s EDIT Room.

So, as long as my computer can handle the editing and doesn't seem to be choking on the .mp4 files, I should skip first converting to CineForm? It would be nice to skip that process.
Joe
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I very rarely use GoPro software first unless I am working on 3D. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
JoeZ99 I have used GoPro files with PD for a few years. Never have a problem with there MP4 files with PD. The wife got me a the new one for Christmas the GoPro 4 Black.

I got I was play with it the other day for the first time. Shot some video from the car. I did use there Studio program to take the fish eye look out. Had it make a mp4 file. I never use there CineForm software. I will say on that remove fish eye work good on that Studio software.
A little clip I shot in 4K. I need to learn more on that Protune settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi1Rvs0R5DM&list=UUzDcl9HECTxu2mNPgXJUfeA

Plus welcome to the forum.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2015 07:07

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
[Post New]
The issue is NOT that PD cannot handle mp4, it can.
The issue is that, due to compressed nature of mp4, editing will always result in loss of quality. No matter what software you use.
Is like trying to edit music directly in mp3 format - is possible but... why?

If you plan just to trim or join parts, using SVRT, then there will be no re-encoding, except at intervention points. In that case, go ahead and use mp4.

If the editing process in more involved, there are few intermediary formats (less compressed) that can be used by a professional NLE software to maintain the quality during editing process. And convert back to mp4 at the end.
Not the case with PD, it is just an amatory level NLE.

Now, why they recommend Cineform? Well, that's a little bit of marketing . GoPro company acquired Cineform in 2011, so they want to impose the format (standardized as VC-5):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CineForm

Free alternative is Avid DNxHD (for work at max 1080p, standardized as VC-3) or not-so free Apple ProRes.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2015 08:36

JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
This is beginning to make sense. Of course I'll experiment with all these options to find the best solutions for specific needs.
Joe