Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Big problem! Please help. Audio stopped playing on Timeline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a huge project and in a split second I've been stopped cold - all my audio tracks have gone stone silent in my timeline preview playback. Here's how it happened.

The moment I previewed an audio file in my library, all sound on my timeline ceased to play audibly from that moment. The audio continues to play normally if I preview the file from the library, but anything and everything on my timeline is 100% muted. Yes, I've checked all my audio settings probably 50 times including the mixer, volume control points, etc.

So I tried to duplicate the problem using a brand new project and succeeded. If I start a new project, import an audio file into the library and immediately drag it into the timeline without previewing it in the library first, it plays fine from the timeline. But the moment I preview any audio file from the library, all timeline tracks go silent, regardless of whether I dragged that file into my timeline. Worse, if I close my project (yes it was saved before I was aware) and reopen it, no dice.

Has anyone encountered this? How can I get audio to play from my timeline again? I am sunk !!! Windows 10 64 Bit
ASUS Z87 Pro MB BIOS 2103
i7-4770K Haswell OC'd to 4.3Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 1600Mhz
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 v368.22
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB (Rapid Mode)
Power Director 14 Ultimate 64 Bit
[Post New]
Addendum: After repeating my troubleshooting above, now that's not working either. It no longer matters what I do, audio does not play from my timeline, but continues to play loud and clear from the library preview... sigh...

I rebooted my computer too just to make sure something else hadn't caused the snag. Didn't help. Also, no other applications or software is running that could possibly be causing a conflict.

And one final point, any other project I open now exhibits the same problem.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 08. 2014 03:11

Windows 10 64 Bit
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Very odd.
Have you tried a re-install yet?
If that fails, another re-install after using a registry cleaner may be in order. Just guessing. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Barry, I haven't but I think I will go ahead with that. I was hoping someone had encountered this and it was an easy fix. Interestingly when I produce the video, the sound is there. Small consolation though. I'm wondering if some bug in 2930 has reared its head. Ok, I will report back on the reinstall.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2014 13:55

Windows 10 64 Bit
[Post New]
Oh boy, ok, I have it working again, we'll see if it holds. Uninstalling/reinstalling did not work. I did a system restore on my computer to three days earlier and thankfully that worked. Just bizarre.

If you're interested, I attached two screen shots. #1 is a working sample, #2 is the broken PD12. Notice in #2 the audio waveform is grayed out (or ghosted as some describe).

In both cases, the audio file always played fine from the library. Only the timeline was the issue. If these screenshots tip anyone off as to what I was missing, I'm anxious to hear.

Thanks as always!
[Thumb - Screenshot1.png]
 Filename
Screenshot1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
89 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot2.png]
 Filename
Screenshot2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
172 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
84 time(s)
Windows 10 64 Bit
Kim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2015 08:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I am having the exact same problem as described here with the same version of PowerDirector 12. I'm hoping I do not need to restore my entire system because I have some files on here that I would not be able to recover easily. I've been reading of a "codec(??) 9" patch or something that I can download that will help. But I"m wondering if anyone has tried it recently (the post was from a few years ago) and it works with other audio software programs such as Mixcraft 6. Thank you for any help AND complete technological idiot here so please be gentle.
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
Try to control the adjustment of the speaker under the preview window W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
Kim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you sooo much for your reply. It's actually working now. I went and installed the latest update and so far that seems to have fixed it!!
Kim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nevermind---it's no longer working again! Here's my original e-mail and like the original poster here---the audio works fine in library preview but NOT after I drag it to the timeline, so I know it's not just a matter of adjusting the volume control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, I am having the exact same problem as described here with the same version of PowerDirector 12. I'm hoping I do not need to restore my entire system because I have some files on here that I would not be able to recover easily. I've been reading of a "codec(??) 9" patch or something that I can download that will help. But I"m wondering if anyone has tried it recently (the post was from a few years ago) and it works with other audio software programs such as Mixcraft 6. Thank you for any help AND complete technological idiot here so please be gentle.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
Post as a new topic* and please reference this thread.
Please read the guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29698.page

* Please don't hijack another member's thread with your issue. The issue/problem may be similar to you but it it is likely to be different. Keeping your issue to a new topic focuses members to assist you and is a place where all the information they need is posted (in your replies).

Thread locked.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 15. 2015 05:43