Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
2nd hard drive, for assets. Better performance?
[Post New]
Ha Ha, Now put those two into a raid 0 - smoking fast! Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
delboy35 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Apr 12, 2015 17:21 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Another option is a hybrid drive, ssd+hdd combined.

My primary drive is samsung 240GB ssd and my second is a seagate 2TB hybrid .Would have liked to get a second ssd

but 1 and 2 TB solid states are still way too expensive.So sticking with the hybrid until price drops.

Its not just the speed of ssd`s there amazingly quiet.They dont half silence your pc and need less power to run.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
The GOOD NEWS:

The Crucial MX100 SSD installed easily and was quickly cloned. The MS computer rating went from 5.8 to 7.3. So now all components are in the 7 to 7.5 range.

The BAD NEWS:

My computer uses a X58M mother board, it is 4 years old and only SATA II. SATAII is 300MB max transfer rate, that limits the MX100 to 220MB max as measured.

Since the previous HD was partitioned, the C partition being on the outside of the platter, only 150GB in size has a speed of 115 MB/sec. So the SSD is not much faster, its access time is of course vastly shorter.

Booting up took app 60 sec with the HD, the SSD brings that down to 52 sec. About 30 sec of that is the BIOS doing its thing.

So overall not a significant improvement.

Programs pop up faster, some in less than a second, before taking perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. PD13 shows up in 2 seconds, slightly faster but loading an existing project takes the same amount since that data is stored on a conventional HD.

Did not notice any difference in editing as expected rendering etc are CPU limited and so is burning.

So looking back, I should have paid more attention to my motherboards limitations.

Would I do this again ,NO.

But it was a learning experience and I will keep the SSD.

BTW it is mounted in an ICYDOCK 2.5 to 3.5" converter, so it has the exact dimensions of a standard 3.5" HD and fits nicely into the three Connectland hard drive bays used, allowing rapid HD change.

After playing with the SSD I will go back to the old HDs, the settings for the SSD are quite different, that is a pain to consider when making backups and prohibits cloning to a HD as I have done in the past for backup purposes.

Live and learn!

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2015 13:49

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have enjoyed this thread I started, having no idea it would involve so many fellow members, and be so filled with great information. Now let me ask, I am under the impression that constantly writing to an SSD drastically shortens its lifespan and they are best used as a C program drive. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
All is not lost. If you built that pc yourself, you can look for a bios upgrade to allow you to use a sata iii adapter to give the blazing speed that everyone here talks about. See this link on page 7 for help before deciding: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html . One good thing is that the ssd doesn't need the partitioning or use the weekly defragging that you were so concerned about with your small physical hard drives.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have enjoyed this thread I started, having no idea it would involve so many fellow members, and be so filled with great information. Now let me ask, I am under the impression that constantly writing to an SSD drastically shortens its lifespan and they are best used as a C program drive.

That is true at one time. My ssd has all those optimizations to prevent that from happening. You will read previous forum posts from individuals that say that it is not good for video editing. That is because they have old motherboards and no experience with ssd. Enter 2015. The top ssd's are said to have 2x the life of a physical hd. People now do use them for video editing. I plan to replace mine soon for a larger one. Look, no weekly defragging, no optimization necessary, twice the life of a physical hard drive, no unnecessary partitioning, etc. What do you have to lose. Get one if you have sata 3 or 6. Barry, yours has it. sealed

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2015 11:43

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Eugen157 - In answering Barry's post about ssd, I remember some of the optimization I performed 3 years ago are said to actually speed up the ssd. Although the information is old, it may actually work for you and your motherboard. Google for it...
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Tomasc

All is not lost, you are correct.
That was great reading, thank you for posting that. In fact I started looking at a new computer, so that is not going to happen soon.
I was under the impression that there was a linear relationship in regard to SATA speed and that, in practice, is not the case.
Thanks

Eugene

BTW one reason I like to partition, even SSD, is to keep particular data physically confined rather than spread all over.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2015 17:13

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not necessary for a ssd. 64gb ssd was the norm then. You could fit 2 copies of windows 7 on it after an initial installation. Not so after 3 years. The windows updates, component driver updates, antivirus updates, office updates, smartsound updates, etc. and the drive is overfilled even if you don't install any new component on the boot drive. I now constantly delete old stuff to gain the drive space.

I know it is hard to change old habits. Good Luck....
Eugen157
[Post New]
My hobby is video editing,
have done so on various computers for 15 years. In the beginning 2 hds did just fine. Then came Hd, files getting even bigger with 4K.
So, rather than having 12 individual hds I partition them, to keep the stuff like RAW 4K VIDEO, RAW HD VIDEO, EDITED 4K VIDEO, FINISHED 4K VIDEO, COMPUTER BACKUPS, MISCELLANEOUS, and so on segregated.
It would be a horrible mess to have all this mixed up on a number of drives. The RAW 4 K VIDEO partition alone approaches 2 TB, accumulated in just one year since I bought the Sony 4K camera.

I use 7 hds, 3 on the computer for routine and minor 4K work and 4 external, in a USB3 box when editing. Total capacity is app 10 TB, about 75% occupied.

Just had to add an other external USB3 drive to store mostly 4K videos including 4K HEVC that I play on the 4 K TV.

I do house cleaning from time to time as most of us do, but the mega bytes just accumulate, we have kids, grand kids and great grand kids.

However, the C partition is partitioned to gain and maintain speed, I wanted the OS to be near the edge of the platter that is why, as mentioned before, programs that give me a choice of location are installed in D and E on the same HD. That practice and the use of a 10K RPM C drive are likely the reason why I saw only little improvement using the SSD.

In our community a lot of neighbors edit their vacation videos. Most have one or at best two drives, the second one external, and I have a hard time explaining that the horrid mess on their C drive is a factor as far speed and stability of their editing system is concerned.

Eugene

So, I partition mostly because it allows me to keep all this stuff neat and orderly 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
[Post New]
Interesting experience you had Eugen157, did you not buy 2 drives (thought you said in earlier post)?

What benchmark software did you use?
If you use AS SSD Benchmark - make sure that is all shows up green (Not BAD = incorrect alignment).
That gave me a performance boost also after alignment.

This is interesting artical if you want to see SSD performance on sata 3Gb vs a fast HDD.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469.html

ICY DOCK is great bracket, I used both of these:
If you have a 5.25 slot - gives you 2x 2.5” and on 3.5” drive bay:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994163

If you have a 3.5” slot - gives you 2 2.5”
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994162

In my case (using a Kingston SSD it is a LOT faster than my 7200rpm drive), I would never go back to have my OS and Apps on HDD.
I will buy another SSD to put my video projects on (that I am currently working on) as soon as the wife lets me

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2015 22:01

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
Eugen157
[Post New]
Good morning

It was a duplication of the order, I did not open the second one, in view of the not so stellar performance I appear to be getting, it will go back to NewEgg today. Good outfit.

Win 7 has a build in test, it went from 5.8 to 7.3, a definite improvement.

The Userbenchmark appears not so good, the SSD Bench was 50%, Sequential 45% 201 MB/s, Random 4K 85% 30MB/s and Deep Queue 4K at only 27% 47MB/s, showed in yellow.(I think, print out is BW)

There are still problems with alingment, did go through the procedure twice but no luck, the number is not even. Not sure if the above numbers are impacted by that. NewEgg has excellent instructions for SSDs but an alignment procedure is not mentioned.

Any input on this is appreciated. Since I use plug in HDs I can go back to SSD in a few minutes.This is the SSD mount I use:

SSD mounthttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994064http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994064

The price is actually $ 18

It is also interesting that in practice there appears to be not much difference in performance between SAT II and III.

Will keep tinkering, thanks for all the inputs.

Eugene

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2015 11:13

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
[Post New]
I used both these programs in the past for alignment.
Free programs to do it:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Google the how-to align with them - it is simple.
I had to do a windows repair on one of them after doing it. The performance difference is not always the same. Some SSD's it made no diff on others it did.

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
EKSVid - You posted this link on Apr 14: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469-4.html .Those small fastest wd raptor 10,000 rpm raptor drive scored about 200 on the CrystalDiskMark tests. I downloaded that app. and tested my ssd and internal drive. The consensus I remember from the senior contributors is to copy files to the internal pc hard drive to do video editing. I recall one senior contributor answering a user that editing on an external drive is okay.

I then ran the the test on my cheap 4TB non partitioned external usb drive that is already 1/4 full, never defragged, only used as backup and was shocked and surprised at the 160 score. This is much higher than the score of 126 or 140 score that Eugene measured on his partitioned C drive.

I now beleive Barry could have saved a lot of time and effort by not installing that internal drive but instead just used an external drive for editing on his pc if he wanted to. The drive speed of an external drive is sufficent for video editing. laughing

External HGST 4TB usb hard drive

PS Looks like I couldn't link an image from flickr. What is a good image hosting site to use...
[Thumb - Ext_Drive.jpg]
 Filename
Ext_Drive.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
CrystalDiskMark for external 4TB usb used hard drive.
 Filesize
88 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
146 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 16. 2015 01:41

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
deleted image.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2015 02:36

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I needed to put the drive inside, my office is small, and I have so many wires tucked under my station I simply must resist more dongles, USB cables, and no more little lights!
Besides, I rather enjoy learning to install this stuff after all these years. For me, it was a great advancement the first time I installed RAM! Woohoo!
My tech skills have a long way to go, though, I am now returning my new firewire port because my Phoenix is pci-e, not pci (as I ordered). D'oh. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Eugen157
[Post New]
Even an external cheap and slow drive will do for video. HD needs an app 32Mb stream that is 4MB/sec, double that for 4K. With a 5 fold margin that is 20MB/sec for HD. Almost anything will do that.

EKSvid, the partition wizard did a great job aligning the SSD, had to start from scratch to do that, thanks.

Spend an other day comparing SSD VS HD, decided to return the 2nd drive today. SSD IS faster but on my setup the difference is mere seconds and not worth it. And no difference at all while editing.

Perhaps next year I will do the same I did with this computer 4 years ago, buy an other state of the art bare bones and then jazz it up.

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2015 12:25

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
[Post New]
tomasc, I can only refer you back to my first post in this topic: "how much benefit you get all depends on your workflow" and also encourage you to watch this guy to get a “feel” of the impact that different hardware components have on video editing software (including SSD drives):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haP2aT_kpJo

If the bulk of you I/O activity remains on slower drives then you get limited benefit.
If you have your O/S and PD on a faster SSD then all O/S drive activities as well as the following PD activities will give you benefit.
- Project AutoSave
- PD resource file reads (all your DZ stuff, titles) that you need in your project
- create shadow files (and more) look at your C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0\ folder to see all the things it updates all the time.

Open a project file that has its resources on a SSD and you will see how much quicker it loads and the thumbnails render(and re-renders when you zoom).

What I failed to mention and Eugene pointed it out is that hardware you connect your SSD to makes a big difference (different SATA speeds). HDD are normally WELL in the limits of SATA II so they are not affected.

Another thing that is not always obvious and tomasc pointed that out is that all 7200rpm HDD are not equal.

I attached the speed of my OLDER 7200rpm WD Black drive (use to be my C drive). As you can see it is quite slow. Compare to a new 7200rpm drive with more cache.

Now compare that to the Kingston SSD drive (relative cheap SSD and my current C drive).

NOTE - both are on the same computer connected via SATA II (so the SSD is capped by the SATA II speeds).

Eugene - If you look at SATA III controller cards (add-in card for older computer), then you might be able to get another boost from your SSD on computers that current uses SATA II (looked at a few today at Newegg and Amazon – read the customer reviews).
[Thumb - SSD.jpg]
 Filename
SSD.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
126 time(s)
[Thumb - HDD.jpg]
 Filename
HDD.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
My Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD is connected by SATA3. Manufacturer has it rated at 520MB/s read and 410MB/s write. As you can see, I'm not quite getting the full potential of the drive. As you posted, using SSD on SATA2 will definitely hold it back.
[Thumb - sata3.jpg]
 Filename
sata3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
112 time(s)
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
Thanks for the post GGRussell.

That is exactly to the point and shows how much faster an SSD is and the potential it has vs a regular HDD!
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Similar Kingston HyperX 120GB version in my 5yr old laptop which might be SATA1 or SATA2. I'd have to look up the specs.
[Thumb - sata2.jpg]
 Filename
sata2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
158 time(s)
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA