Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems with cutting from one video track to another (overlap effect)
Alessandro de Sica [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2013 19:23 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
When I have a clip on track one and I put another clip in track two, slightly left of clip one' end, it switches in playback from track one to track two, with the picture of track two "taking the lead", so clip two is already shown during that small overlap.

But when I add a third clip in track one again, slightly left of clip two's end, that third clip does NOT take the lead and is not shown during the overlap, but still track (and clip) two until that clip is finished and only then it switches back to track one (and clip three).

Result: I have to add more and more tracks below track one to get that effect. What am I missing here?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I have a clip on track one and I put another clip in track two, slightly left of clip one' end, it switches in playback from track one to track two, with the picture of track two "taking the lead", so clip two is already shown during that small overlap.

But when I add a third clip in track one again, slightly left of clip two's end, that third clip does NOT take the lead and is not shown during the overlap, but still track (and clip) two until that clip is finished and only then it switches back to track one (and clip three).

Result: I have to add more and more tracks below track one to get that effect. What am I missing here?

1. Track with the higher number are dominant.
2. Transitions are used with video on the same track and the overlap transition effect is then applied, merging of a video takes place.
Transitions are placed over and between two video clips on the same track.
3. The additional tracks allow for the placement of video within another video or when when an editor wants to display multiple video on screen at the same time. Example - two video side by side as a split screen, like in a news report on TV.
Use Pip Designer to modify video or use the Preview window.
Dafydd
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply but this doesn't answer my problem.

I have dialog scenes with a standard two camera angles and I want to cut to the other angle slightly before the last word is said in one angle (like it is done in almost all films).

So please, how do I do that if it works only once, at the very beginning with tracks one and two?!

==================
"2. Transitions are used with video on the same track and the overlap transition effect is then applied, merging of a video takes place.
==================

Which transition do I have to use? I don't quite understand that. Is there a way to edit the whole thing in one video track?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2014 12:21

[Post New]
I think I solved it another way:

I put the two clips directly after each other on one track, unlink video and audio, push the second clip's sound track a little to the right (the amount of overlap I want) and then pull the whole second clip to the left until the sound tracks of both clips meet again, thereby overwriting the end of clip one' s video track with the beginning of clip two's video track.

Here's a screenshot:

http://www.nefkom.info/miscellaneous/PD.jpg

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2014 12:38

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Alessandro, that way will work but it will be hard to edit later if you need to move the beginning or end of any clips that you've edited.

You may want to try the Multi-Cam designer, which will sync your two cameras and allow you to switch between them at any time without worrying about keeping your audio in sync.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°