Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Question re: PD8
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
First of all I should state that I'm still currently using PD7, but a purchase of a capture card device some months ago(last year, to be precise) brought a DVD installation disc for Power Director 8 as part of its package. Also included was a disc for Media Show and Power Producer Version 5. I note when logging in that there is an upgrade available for PD8. The only trouble with the PD8 installation disc is that it is for a "bare-bones" version, where a lot of the features won't function unless I download an upgrade. Having tried this before, three attempts met with failure of the upgrade to "take", and the functions I wanted to use(reversing the video is one useful feature, especially for comic effect) were still unavailable. I have to state here that I have bought and installed Corel's Video Studio Pro X5, which also has the reversing effect. I have been using a combination of both VSP-X5 and PD7 in recent times. Video Studio for editing and PD7 for adding narration and disc authoring, plus adding title overlays(which, more often I create myself, using Windows Paint). I'd like to know(seeing I already have the PD8 installation disc) If it would cost me in $Australian to download the upgrade build. I'll await an answer before I attempt to do the installation.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I suggest that you try the Powerdirector 12 Trial before you make a decision.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdirector-ultra/download_en_US.html

The trial has some limits that are not in the Paid version.

Powerdirector has been greatly improved since PD 7 and PD8.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl312.

I'm aware that Power Director has improved and advanced by at least 4 or 5 new versions(PD13 in the offing, perhaps?) in recent times. I had PD8 briefly installed and viewed some of its features, one which I've wanted for some time enabled videos to play in reverse, this feature was in PD8 but I was unable to try it because of the "bare-bones" level of the version contained on the installation disc I was using. I had since acquired(and have been using for edit-and-produce-only) Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 which has the video reversing effect. I still use PD7(reinstalled after abortive attempts to download PD8 upgraded build) for final authoring, adding audio narration and other editing. I tend to do a mix-and-match, sometimes using a mix of PD7, Corel and one other(unnamed) editing software, to get the best of each, but the final burn-to-DVD goes through PD7. Why? PD7 allows easy creation of menu cards, plus allows me to put up to 2 hours and nearly 20 minutes of content on a disc without worrying about how big the file size might be in gigabytes(PD7 appears to compress the file-size somehow). If I have items with a combined playing time of 2-hours+, then I'm easily able to "cram" them onto my disc. That's the beauty of PD7, and likely PD8 too, if only I was able to download and successfully patch in the build upgrade to make it a full version, instead of the bare-bones version on the disc.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Neil.F.1955,

Video in Reverse is in Power Tools > Video in Reverse.

It works in Powerdirector 8 the same as later versions of Powerdirector.

[Thumb - PD 8 snapshot_cropped.png]
 Filename
PD 8 snapshot_cropped.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
427 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 28. 2014 11:12

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312,
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I'll explain step-by-step.
1) I had PD8 TEMPORARILY installed on my computer(for evaluation), found it to be a "Bare Bones" version as it came off the installation disc.
2) I unsuccessfully attempted to download the patch which would bring PD8 up to a full working "build" to give me all the features PD8 was meant to have, I gave up after 3 abortive attempts.
3) I reinstalled PD7 and have continued with it ever since.

Thus I was unable to utilise PD8's Video Reversing tool as it was not enabled on the "bare bones" PD8.
I'm using PD7 for: a) Capture from videotape
b) Occasionally complete editing, some partial editing(assembling segments edited elsewhere[other software])
c) Inserting narration and music
d) Final DVD authoring[burning] including setting chapters and creating menu pages.
I find PD7 excellent for the above tasks, particularly for inserting narration. For this purpose, I would view the edited clips and write down some lines which I'll read to describe the scene. When I've recorded all the narration(using Sony Sound Forge 10) I'll save the narration track as an mp3 file and import it into my workspace, I leave a bit of a gap between each "description" so I can split the narration track at this point. I then cut the remainder into "clipboard", I play the video further until the next part comes up where narration is required, I paste in the narration, splitting and cutting the remainder into clipboard, I continue in this fashion until all narration parts are in place. Sometimes I do an "ad-lib" narration straight to the narration track. This is where PD7 has it over other software I've used. And it's the capture from videotape(via capture card device) function that puts Power Director head & shoulders above Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 as that programme makes absolutely NO provision for capture from device, very disappointing of Windows not to provide such a facility.
As for the PD8 installation disc, it remains unused, and will continue to be unless I can successfully download a patch to render it into a full working version.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil F

I was not aware that PD8 had a 'bare bones version'.

I would try contacting Customer Support. They would need proof of purchase and maybe your CD Key.

Good luck

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CBH, Thanks for that message. As for proof of purchase, I don't think I can supply a receipt docket as it has been some time back since I purchased it. PD8 came in a package with a Kworld video capture device(capture card for converting VHS, Betamax or any other videotape format to DVD). Regrettably the installation key number is also missing off the disc label or the sleeve it is in. Also in the package was a driver(installation) disc for Media Show DE V4. This was the only disc that had the CD-Key. I've uploaded an image of the PD8 disc label as proof it is not a copy but a genuine cyberlink installation disc.
[Thumb - Photo.jpg]
 Filename
Photo.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
196 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
This a scan of a Powerdirector 8 Ultra Retail Disk.

I have the Product Key it is on the envelope.

You will notice the color of the disk is Blue and not Red.
This is the installation disk for the program in my previous screen shot.

[Thumb - PowerDirector 8 Ultra Retail disk.png]
 Filename
PowerDirector 8 Ultra Retail disk.png
[Disk]
 Description
PD 8 Ultra retail disk
 Filesize
653 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
198 time(s)

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I note your image of the PD8 Ultra. The only problem for me in obtaining this is that many retailers WILL NOT stock the product here in Australia and I do NOT trust the internet enough to download same. I would much rather buy the installation package retail in-store(call me old-fashioned but I like to play it safe this way). If I were to send a money order to Cyberlink by post, when I can raise the money required, Cyberlink could then post out the package to my home address. It is the ONLY way I would purchase the product and pay for it. I'm not a fan of Paypal and I loathe and despise Visa prepaid, so, for me, an international money order is the ONLY way to go!, But the purchase will have to wait until my building society balance is healthier..... some time in the future.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I note your image of the PD8 Ultra. The only problem for me in obtaining this is that many retailers WILL NOT stock the product here in Australia and I do NOT trust the internet enough to download same. I would much rather buy the installation package retail in-store(call me old-fashioned but I like to play it safe this way). If I were to send a money order to Cyberlink by post, when I can raise the money required, Cyberlink could then post out the package to my home address. It is the ONLY way I would purchase the product and pay for it. I'm not a fan of Paypal and I loathe and despise Visa prepaid, so, for me, an international money order is the ONLY way to go!, But the purchase will have to wait until my building society balance is healthier..... some time in the future.

You will likely only be able to find the latest version at official retailers.

Official retailers:
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/regional-stores/enu/index.jsp

The current version is Powerdirector 12.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/features_en_US.html?&r=1

Unless you have a reason for using an old version of Powerdirector, the new version does much more and (I Think) the best so far.
Cyberlink does have a online store. I would have no fear downloading from Cyberlink. (I have).

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, Carl312.
In regards to your comment, quote: "You will likely only be able to find the latest version at official retailers", I had enquired at a few around my area(Port Stephens, NSW) and in Newcastle. I've asked at Leading Edge Computers, here in Nelson Bay, also at Harvey Norman at Salamander Bay, also in Newcastle at Office Works and Dick Smith Electronics, all likely retailers of this sort of software package. While Harvey Norman(nicknamed "Hardly Normal" for a joke) offered Power DVD, when I asked about Power Director(any version), the were unable to help, and the stock-standard answer I got from the others was "You'd have to download it!" I've already stated my aversion to downloading this type of software, citing the Internet as insecure. In any case, when I install a programme, I much prefer to do so from an installation disc, this gives me an added sense of security in knowing it will work properly.
Curiously, I was able to buy Corel Video Studio Pro X5 retail at Office Works in Newcastle, but they didn't carry many of the Cyberlink products that I could see.

So, I have resolved the following: As PD8 is no longer available(retail or otherwise) I will, at a time when I can afford it, purchase an installation pack for Power Director 12, either directly from Cyberlink, or through an Australian agent via mail-order, and pay for same via money order, to the value of the product plus packing and postage. I will NOT use Visa Pre-paid under ANY circumstances whatsoever, as I loathe and detest those type of cards! So there you have it! In the meantime I will continue with PD7.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: So, I have resolved the following: As PD8 is no longer available(retail or otherwise) I will, at a time when I can afford it, purchase an installation pack for Power Director 12, either directly from Cyberlink, or through an Australian agent via mail-order, and pay for same via money order, to the value of the product plus packing and postage. I will NOT use Visa Pre-paid under ANY circumstances whatsoever, as I loathe and detest those type of cards! So there you have it! In the meantime I will continue with PD7.

You can buy Boxed versions of all of Cyberlink's software, you sure can buy the boxed version of PowerDirector 12.

I searched for the official store in Australia & New Zealand.

I found this one:
https://www.saratogadist.com.au/search.cfm

Type in the search box 'Powerdirector' for a little refinement 'Powerdirector 12'.

I think they are selling the Boxed version. (They do not say Download). A phone call will resolve that question.

The boxed version is a box and a DVD.
Not a download.

It would be shipped to you.

Mail-order and money order sure would work.

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil

PM sent
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
To Carl312, Yes, I'll consider PD12 for the future but for the present, I've been offered PD8 by CubbyHouseFilms as it is now surplus to his requirements. Thank You for the information in any case.

To CubbyHouseFilms, Yes, I've received, read and responded to your kind offer. Again, many thanks. I look forward to seeing its delivery and installing same. The one thing about Power Director that really stands out for me is the ease with which I can author discs and create menus. I look forward to seeing how PD8 allows me to do this. I know, from the bare-bones version temporarily installed that there are more and better transition effects which I'm keen to try, particularly when it comes to the ghost effect that I explained in step-by-step process elsewhere on these forum pages.
To Carl321 and CubbyHouseFilms, deepest and sincerest thanks for your assistance.
Kind Regards!
Neil Forbes.