Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to paste text into titles
Cylindrically [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2014 19:45 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Why is it impossible to paste text when editing titles? I need to create titles with text that have the special characters in Spanish with the accents over the letters. If I could paste them in, it would be simple. How can I do this without being able to paste?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why is it impossible to paste text when editing titles? I need to create titles with text that have the special characters in Spanish with the accents over the letters. If I could paste them in, it would be simple. How can I do this without being able to paste?

Hi

It is possible

Open Word or Note Pad and type away>highlight and copy>Open PD and put any Title into the story board>double click to open Title Designer>use Control V to paste your Word or Note pad text.

You may have to play around with the spacing etc.

Happy editing

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cylindrically. The paste function in Title Designer definitely has some limitations

You can copy/cut and paste from one text frame to another in the same window, but you can't bring in text from anywhere else because Title Designer apparently clears (or uses a separate) clipboard.

Fortunately, there is a way to directly type in any character, but you'll need to look up the keycodes first. It's not quite as bad as it sounds.

You'll need to use the built-in Character Map app. In Win XP, Vista and 7, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Character Map. In Win 8/8.1, use the Search Programs charm (Win+Q) and start typing "charac.."

With the character map open, you'll see every Unicode character for each font. If you need to write "año" por ejemplo, you can click on the "ñ" character and note the Keystroke value at the bottom right, which is Alt+0241. In the Title Designer, simply hold down the Alt key and type in 0241 then release the Alt key. A capital "Ñ" is Alt+0209, etc.

You may find it easier to make a single title with the most common special characters, or even the entire character set then use the Save function in Title Designer to permanently save your reference title. That way you'd always be able to place that in the timeline, then open it up and directly copy any special characters to a new text box/frame. You could then delete the "reference character set" text frame from that title when you're finished editing and your new title would be ready.

I know it's not as simple as copying and pasting the exact text, but at least you'll be able to spell everything correctly. Let me know if you're able to get that working. ¡Buena suerte!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Why is it impossible to paste text when editing titles? I need to create titles with text that have the special characters in Spanish with the accents over the letters. If I could paste them in, it would be simple. How can I do this without being able to paste?

Hi

It is possible

Open Word or Note Pad and type away>highlight and copy>Open PD and put any Title into the story board>double click to open Title Designer>use Control V to paste your Word or Note pad text.

You may have to play around with the spacing etc.

Happy editing

Holy Mackeral!!!! It's as simple as as typing Ctrl+V??? I always saw that grayed-out Paste function and gave up

Umm, I guess you can ignore my previous post....
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
I should clarify that I was trying to edit some titles I already had in English. I guess I had not actually ever tried to paste into a new title. Since I already had the English ones, I thought I would just take the English ones and edit them by highlighting that text and pasting in the Spanish ones.

After seeing CubbyHouseFilms reply, it looks like you can paste into a new one but not do paste in editing one that was already created.
optodata
[Post New]
You can paste to an existing title - just highlight the text you want to remove then use Ctrl+V to post your new text. ¡Ahora es muy fácil!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I'd do a little screen capture, partly to use some little keyboard animations I made... but you guys have it all sorted.

I'll attach it anyway. If any potential toot makers would like the animations, I can upload them to DirectorZone.

Side note to Neil & optodata - you wouldn't believe it - the shadows behaved themselves when I was adding the titles! First time since I started using PD12!

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Copy Paste Text.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1248 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
226 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2014 03:51

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
Very nice, Tony! I like the keyboard animations, very clever to use the on-screen keyboard

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I've posted the links in the DZ forum under Sharing & Downloading Templates

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/38683.page#199489

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi All,

I've been tied up with other work all day; so I apologize if my reply seems tardy. Thanks for all the help. It helped me to discover some things I had not noticed before. I had been trying to paste outside text into a text box that already had text. That can't be done. But from the helpful animation, I discovered that you can right click in the Edit Title field, and select insert new title, which gives you a new text box in the field that you can paste into.

So that's just as good. That saves me a lot of time, since before knowing this I was having to type every Spanish word of the phrases that were provided for me, and since I'm not fluent in Spanish, it was an arduous task.

Thanks again for all the help.