Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 12 "has stopped working"Help, I bought and downloaded PD12 in February 2014. I have
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:27 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Help,

I bought and downloaded PD12 in February 2014. I have owned PD since PD8, although I am using it more now than before. (at least trying to)

I have this computer:

MacBook Pro
15" Retina Mid 2012
Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OSX 10.9.2 (13c64)

All Updates are current.

I have Parallels 8 installed along with a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium I purchased from Microsoft
I allocated 128GB of space for the Windows partition. (Parallels recommends 64GB)

I installed the latest patch for PD12 after my installation. The crash problem has been non stop for a couple of months now. I have deleted all Windows Temp files via Disk Clean up; uninstalled both Quicktime and PD12 at least 3-4 times. The problem returns every time. That did not help.

The only thing I can do is bring up Task Mgr and "end the process" of PD12.exe then re-open and try to continue the edit.

I have other problems as well, but thought I would tackle this problem first.

About PD12 returns this:

PowerDirector 12 Ultra 12.0.2726.0
SR number: (Deleted for this post)
Licensed to: Charles Belcher

I have attached the initial DXDiag file
I have attached the DX Diag64 file
I have attached the Windows event log file which occurred immediately after the last crash
of which I also made a screen shot and attached in the next post because the
"Attachments" would only allow for 3 attachments.

The last crash was during edit of a 4:3 movie (Not HD)

If anyone has a clue other than uninstall and re-install, (been there, done that and I am wearing the T-shirt as I type this); I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

Charles in Dallas
 Filename
EventLog.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
795 time(s)
 Filename
CharlesBelcherDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attachments allowed me to attach 3 files, which I did, but I see only 2 showed up on the post.

Hopefully, attached to this post are the other 2 files.

Charles in Dallas
 Filename
Screenshot 2014-04-18 18.30.30.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
402 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
133 time(s)
 Filename
CharlesBelcherDxDiag64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
494 time(s)
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Charles:

I took a look at your dxdiag file. It shows Parallels as only allocating 1 GB of RAM to the Windows drive. If so, that would be a major issue for PD operating on a 64-bit OS.

I am COMPLETELY ignorant of Parallels software/firmware, so do not trust my advice. Also, do you have the latest Quicktime installed in the Windows partition? PD12 requires QT to be present on its installed drive.

Hope this is of some limited help. Hopefully one of our Forum members will be knowledgeable about your platform and will be able to provide you with an informed insight into what might be causing your issue.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil,

I have only had Parallels/Mac since the first of the year. I have been a PC guy forever. I can't believe I missed the Ram allocation that you noticed.

Thank you for spotting that. I have moved it up to 4G and we will see if I need to go higher than that.
(If that doesn't do the trick, I will be back)

Thanks again,

Charles
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Charles:

Do let us know how you make out. 4 GB of RAM for a 64-bit version of Windows is low. I would recommend a minimum of 6 GB and 8 GB would be better on a Windows computer.

I am not sure how the Parallels system works, as you know. If the Windows OS is not using the allocated Windows RAM, you might indeed be alright if PD12 has the full and sole use of the 4 GB you have now allocated.

I will be very interested to see how you make out. Keep us posted.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil,

After reading a ton of Parallels "Knowledge Base" material on "optimizing the virtual OS", I have moved the slider up to 8GB; leaving 8gb for OSX in my 16GB MacBookPro. I edited for one hour at the end of last night without a single crash or having to restart.

I will be at it tomorrow all day and will really put it to the test.

Can't thank you enough for waking me up.

Charles
garioch7
[Post New]
You are more than welcome, though as I said, I was guessing, not knowing anything about Parallels.

I am glad that you got it working. Good luck with your video editing.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil and anyone who has followed this thread.

I have edited non-stop for 6 hours today without one single hickup, crash, freeze or anything bad. I am such a happy camper. Now I can concentrate on the little nit-pick things.

Such as:

Is it really true... that if you add a folder to a directory where you have saved an image file which you used in a projecct; and you moved that image file from the original directory folder to what is now a sub-folder within that folder; that Power Director will not drill down through the original folder to look for the file?

Charles
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
In my experience, the pointer to the file will be incorrect; it won't find it. Test it for yourself.
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
borgus1

I have tested and know the pointer cannot find a sub-folder. My question is there a way to see where a file was at the time it was inserted into a project even though it has been moved afterwards?

Charles
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: borgus1

I have tested and know the pointer cannot find a sub-folder. My question is there a way to see where a file was at the time it was inserted into a project even though it has been moved afterwards?

Charles

Sort of. If you open a project and PD can't find one or more of the files, it will display a window asking you to ignore, ignore all, or browse to where the file(s) is/are now located. If the file was in a short path, you'll see that whole path; otherwise you'll see a truncated version (see attached screenshot).

If you really want to know where the file(s) used to be, open up the .pds file in an XML editor (like the free Notepad++), and search for the missing file's name. That's where you'll find the fully detailed path showing where PD12 last accessed the clip from. (see 2nd attachment)
[Thumb - XML view.png]
 Filename
XML view.png
[Disk]
 Description
XML detail inside .PDS
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
124 time(s)
[Thumb - missing clip.png]
 Filename
missing clip.png
[Disk]
 Description
truncated path
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
118 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata,

Thanks for the XML tip. I have a program which I use to synchronize Christmas lights to music and it writes all it's files to XML also. A few years back I got Notepad ++ to sort fields and replace data in some of the fields (along with Excel), so that will do nicely as a work-a-round.

Thanks again.

Charles in Dallas