Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blue-ray disc playback problem.
Vanman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2010 04:51 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
When I pay my Blue-ray video back, the picture appears to jump slightly. I have tried using different output settings, but the same think happens. The slight jumping occurs on both my computer and my Blue-ray disc player. The only thing I could think of, is that the graphic card may be playing up, but I have had this checked and there does not seem to be a problem
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I pay my Blue-ray video back, the picture appears to jump slightly. I have tried using different output settings, but the same think happens. The slight jumping occurs on both my computer and my Blue-ray disc player. The only thing I could think of, is that the graphic card may be playing up, but I have had this checked and there does not seem to be a problem

Wouldn't that logically rule out the PowerDVD program and the graphics processor?

Where did you get the disc? Commercial or home burned? Did you look at the disc to make sure it is not scratched, dirty or just have fingerprints on the surface?

If it were just the computer, I would ask for more information on the computer but since it also occurs on the blu-ray player, I believe it to be the disc.
Vanman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks for the reply.

I had not considered the discs as I have been having trouble with various maunfacturers. I have tried Sony, Panasonic and Verbatim and have had similar results on all the discs. Before I burn a disc, I always use a recordable one to proppf test. At present I am using Panasonic, but I also have a TDK. I seem to get the same results on these discs as I do on the burn discs. Unfortunatley, I need to copy the videos to disc as I cannot keep storing them on my computer. I have over ten hours of video from railway holidays last year and it was when I started copying them to disc that I started noticing the problem. I had bought a 3D camera and was trying it out. This is why I bought Power Director, to edit the videos. The same thing has heappened again while trying to sort out videos from Christmas. The jumping is only slight, but it does distract from the viewing of the disc. My only other avenue, is the pictures from the camera itself, but when you view them directly onto the TV, there is no jumping from them. At present, I am at a loss as to how to overcome this problem. Everything I seem to try does not cure it.

Regards
Vanman.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
So now it seems it is a rendering issue (making the disc)? What program are you using to make the discs? Perhaps a post there will help. You did post in the brand new program that is a computer only player and would have nothing to do with the stand alone DVD player.

Have you tried turning off the hardware rendering - the programs I know of allow that ? Does that help? I kn ow it slows down the rendering in the software mode.

How many hours of video are you putting on the disc? It is still not clear if you are making a video disc or a data disc (just copying the files to a disc.)?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2014 02:06

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Vanman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Best start with the last questions first. I am only trying to create video discs not data discs. I am trying to get down to about 90 minutes a disc, even through I have more video. I am being critical with how I edit it.

I have not tried turning off the rendering when making the disc. I have tired the various formats, MPEG2, MPEG 4, but with no luck. I will try again tonight with the rendering setting off and let you know what happens after I have completed it.

As far as I know, I am up todate with the patches for Power Director 12 Ultimate, but I will check this again, just in case I down loaded a patch, but forgot to active it.

Many thanks for the help. I will be in touch later.

Vanman.
stevek
[Post New]
Real Quickly -- Put only 60 minutes on a DVD or the quality will be very poor. Put more on a double layer disc.

All standard definition discs are mpg2 so that is what you should aim for. If you are doing high definition than you must make an AVCHD disc (40 minutes) or blu ray. (a couple of hours)

You didn't answer : What Video Editing Program are you using? You posted in Power DVD forum - that is for playback only.

If you are using Power Director, in the burn to disc section, are you burning directly to disc or are you burning to a folder (preferred) and then burning (not copying) the folder to a disc. What menu are you selecting or are you using no menu.

If you are not using Power Director what are you using? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Vanman [Avatar]
[Post New]
First, my apologies for getting the wrong Forum. I thought I had logged into the Power Director Forum, not the Power DVD Forum.

In response to the question, I am using Power Director 12 as the editing programme and Power DVD 13 as the playback programme for my computer.

Over the weekend, I have had a little play with the Power Director and another editing programme from a rival company. The results are different. I took the same clips for both editing programmes and made a short 2 minute video. I then converted it into a disc and played it back. The rival programme produced a disc the was smooth in playback, both on the computer under Power DVD and also on the Blue-ray disc attached to the TV. The Power Director video still jumped slightly, even after I have tried the output with four different settings.

While I was playing back the Power Director Video on the TV, it was noted that at the start of the disc, there was a short flash up on the screen that the disc was in 12bit. My brother thinks this could be the problem as he has also had problems transferring videos from the TV onto disc. When he recorded in 12bit, he too said that the picture appeared to jump slightly. When the settings were changed to 24bit, the output from the video was smoother. I did not realise that the Power Director settings I was using were set to 12bit. I now want to try and up the rate to 24bit to see if that resolves the problem. Looking at the settings through for Power Director, there does not appear to be a setting that allows me to change the bit rate. I will have to log onto the Power Director Forum to see if I can get an answer.

Many thanks for your help.
Vanman.
Vanman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I have found the answer to my problem. It is not the bit rate, but the last setting for outputting the video.

Without realising it, I had been using 1920 x 1080/24p for the recording to disc. By changing this to 1920 x 1080/50i, I seem to have removed the problem with the jumping of the playback, but there are a couple of issues regarding transitions. I went back and re-read the manual for the camera and realised that there are two slightly different settings mentioned, depending on whether you are recording in 3D or 2D. I had been using the 24p setting as this was the nearest one to the 25P mentioned for the 2D setting. By changing up to 50i it seems to have removed the problem.

Kind regards
Vanman.
stevek
[Post New]
I'm glad that after your diligent work you were able to find and "fix" the issue. .