Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Time/date info from imported MiniDV tape
JSC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 20, 2012 09:22 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
I've just stared capturing video from a MiniDV camcorder. The tape has time/date info embedded in it; at any point while playing a tape I can toggle on time/date and see it on the camera's monitor. Is there any way to retrieve that information within PowerDirector once I've imported the video into a project? In other words, if I wish to display time and date in my project can I do so? PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
To partially answer my own question, I've noticed that PD names the clips (viewable in the media room, the timeline, etc.) with the date and time stamped at the beginning of the tape (i.e., Capture_20070707153015, which is July 7, 2007 at 3:30:15 pm). But I have yet to discover any way to view the date/time of anything past the first frame of the tape. PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
The User Guide says:

Time Info

When a DV-AVI video clip captured from a DV tape camcorder or an EXIF image is added to the timeline, the Time Info button is enabled. Click the Time Info button to enable the date or time stamp (displayed as an image) that was captured from the original camcorder or digital camera. You may also add a text remark to your video or image if required.

My clip is captured through PD12 from a Sony DCR-HC26 camcorder with digital video cassette (MiniDV) via Firewire. My Quality Profile Setting is DV-AVI Standard Format. When I select the clip on the timeline, there is no Time Info button to select. Why not? PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post a couple of screenshots of your Preference/ Capture setting pages relative to DV for us to see.
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Having never uploaded screen shots, I'm not sure if I did this right. I attached two .jpgs, one of the capture settings, one of the edit screen where I see no Time Info button.
[Thumb - no Time Info button.jpg]
 Filename
no Time Info button.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
298 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)
[Thumb - capture settings.jpg]
 Filename
capture settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
179 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
282 time(s)
PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wrong two screenshots sent. capture settings.jpg is of the Capture module. On the top left of the PD screen, look about 5 inches to the right for the icon that looks like a gear. That opens the preferences window. Go to capture and set it up for the third option: 'During capture, detect scenes by timecode, and then save each scene as a separate file (DV-VCR mode only): This is the setting to be done as on the p.238 of the user manual.

Close and reopen PD. Try a capture again. Go to the Edit module, highlight a clip then the time info button should appear to the left of the trash can icon.

Previously captured DV won't work.
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
I made the change you suggested, selecting "Auto-scene detection: During capture, detect scenes by timecode." I closed and restarted PD and captured the video. Upon selection in the timeline, there is still no Time Info button to the left of the trash can. PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Don't know why PD12 is not working for you. If you want a running time data info in your produced video then the simplest and easiest way is to use analog capture with the date/ time overlay from your DV camcorder. I used to do this with dv and toggle the camcorder remote control data code button on major changes in scene to briefly show the date and time while recording to a vcr. Quit doing that when PC became powerful enough for DV editing.

Attached are three screen captures of PD timeline:
1. dv_timeline1.jpg is just after a short capture and switching to the edit tab.
2. Click the Time Info button and a dialog box appear. I checked both the Add date stamp and time. Other options are in the Overlay format tab.
3. The date and time info appear at beginning of each new video clip for 3 seconds.
Attached is a edited 6 sec. video clip of the above.

Check out this thread: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/32475.page#176376

Remember p.122 of the user manual 'Note: CyberLink PowerDirector does not support the enabling of running time codes on video files.'
There are other software both free and paid for to allow you to view and/or embed a running time code overlay on your videos. Of course that means re-rendering to create it.

It is possible that the updates to your PD remove this time info button for DV capture. I know that function appear to be removed from previous versions of PD after installing updates. I haven't used DV for years until now. Hope other users chime in on your problem.

This is good question for Tech Support.
continued below...

[Thumb - dv_timeline1.jpg]
 Filename
dv_timeline1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
dv timeline showing Time info button
 Filesize
717 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
246 time(s)
[Thumb - dv_timeline3.jpg]
 Filename
dv_timeline3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Date and Time appears in preview
 Filesize
834 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
230 time(s)
[Thumb - dv_timeline2.jpg]
 Filename
dv_timeline2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
dialog box after clicking Time info button
 Filesize
926 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
226 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think PD supports feature for many camera models. It was a topic here
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13360.page
and here
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5108.page

CLD said they would update the UG which they did looking at PD8 and PD12 but I find it not much more insightful.
The only success I have/had with my old Canon's MiniDv capture was the TV looking box on the Capture page (attached pic). This DOES NOT activate the time button in the timeline but overlays the timecode on the entire capture. I found it not real beneficial, you can't turn it off during editing.

Jeff
[Thumb - exif.png]
 Filename
exif.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attached the PD produced clip from dv showing Date and time.

This is getting interesting for me. Do a scene detection on any clip to split it further and each new scene will have a different correct time showing. You can toggle the date or time from each individual new clip or scene on or off as you wish. This is great use of the Time info button. There is also the option to leave that info continuously on the video and then produce it.

Investigating further and find previously captured DV from other apps don't enable the Time info button even with richvideo. The link in the thread above explains the reason for this.

The Time info button uses is so interesting now. I got to have it. Too bad I moved on to HD editing. I hope other PD users out there investigate this further and hopefully give you a better answer than what I found. I want to get back into DV editing.
 Filename
dv_timecode.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
edited dv clip from timeline
 Filesize
2070 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
352 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Jeff,
My DV Camcorder is a Sony and is an earlier model than JSC's Sony DCR-HC26 and the PD Time info button works on PD12 but not on an earlier version of PD after many updates were installed.

Just now d/l your capture screenshot. PD defaults to mpeg-2 for DV capture. Your Capture module is set for DVD HQ. This means you won't capture the DV time code. It must be set to AVI DV to capture the dynamic changing time code. Look at JSC's capture settings.jpg. That is what it must be set on to work to get a dynamic changing time with each new scene or start of each clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2014 22:11

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc,

I just tested, PD8, PD11, PD12, Canon Optura 400, Canon Elura 50, both MiniDV tape cameras. DV-AVI and MPEG-HQ capture, all 3 different auto scene detection methods in prefs, I get no Time Info button and no timecode. As mentioned prior, I only get timecode captured during capture with the TV type icon. The scene detect will split by timecode when selected, I just don't have the Time Info button to display or toggle.

As you say, I've moved on too but found the thread interesting as I had dabbled years before and couldn't resolve for my Canon's. My thought was it must be camera specific on how the info is saved perhaps.

Jeff

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello JSC and Jeff,
I beleive that I have solved the mystery about miniDV timecode capture from Sony and Canon camcorders. If you each post a 5 sec. capture from PD in the AVI-DV format only then I will test it. If it works then post the solution here to all PD users here.