Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 12 Ultimate Issue
Nexumen7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2014 20:15 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, this is my first post.

I'll get straight to the point and provide as much info as I can.

I own PowerDirector 12 Ultimate. I use this for my game capturing videos for the PS3. Here's the scenario in brief:

-I record, everything is ok. I play the video on my Desktop tower on Windows 8. I watched it both through the Video Viewer app and Windows Video Player. Smooth video throughout whole video.
-I open PD12. Upload captured video unto library. I edit a couple of things, and I'm ready to produce. I play movie, and after the 30 second mark, it gets choppy. Just the video, not the sound. I've had this before on PD9, so I produced it. Finished video, it's still choppy.

So it's gotta be the program right?

I record in 720P, so I produce the video in 720P. Heck, I've even tried in 480P, the lowest quality and no fix. My PD9 on my weaker laptop produced without any issue with the same recorder and ps3 hookup.

My Desktop is Asus, Model M51AC-US002S
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz (Up to date)
ACPI x64-based PC
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (Up to date)
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 2TB

Java is up to date.

Capture Device: Hauppauge PVR 2 Game Edition

Like I mentioned, everything is fine without PD12, but no matter what settings I try, nothing helps. I've selected properties on the captured video, checked the bit-rate, and inserted the same number into the bit-rate speed when I added a new profile. I've tried, .MOV, MP4, .AVI, MPEG2, H.264 AVC and WMV. All different outputs, video rates, every single try is a choppy video starting at 30 seconds until the end. It's a 10 minute video. I'm lost. I've restarted my computer, It's brand new so I don't have it loaded up with files or anything.

Thank you.

EDIT: Hardware acceleration is on. Tried with and without, nothing. Turned off shadow file, nothing. Turned preview to low quality, nothing. Just running that by if anyone asks.
 Filename
DxDiagNEXUMEN.txt
[Disk]
 Description
MY Diagnosis
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
310 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2014 21:08

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The only thing I see in your DXdiag file your Hard drive is partitioned too small for the OS.
You have a 2 TB drive but you only allowed 153 GB for the OS partition. You should have allowed 200-250 GB for the OS.

70 GB of free space is too small for High definition Video Editing of AVCHD files.
Which is what your capture device Hauppauge PVR 2 Game Edition creates.

The recommended free space is 60-100 GB, 70 GB is on the low end.

Drive: C:
Free Space: 70.0 GB
Total Space: 153.6 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200

Drive: D:
Free Space: 1731.1 GB
Total Space: 1731.3 GB

I would get rid of Java, Turn off HD processing in Preferences > General.
I do not know what anti-virus program you are using, but check to see if Powerdirector is allowed with no restrictions.

Malware scanners can interfere with PowerDirector operations.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Nexumen7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The only thing I see in your DXdiag file your Hard drive is partitioned too small for the OS.
You have a 2 TB drive but you only allowed 153 GB for the OS partition. You should have allowed 200-250 GB for the OS.

70 GB of free space is too small for High definition Video Editing of AVCHD files.
Which is what your capture device Hauppauge PVR 2 Game Edition creates.

The recommended free space is 60-100 GB, 70 GB is on the low end.

Drive: C:
Free Space: 70.0 GB
Total Space: 153.6 GB

Drive: D:
Free Space: 1731.1 GB
Total Space: 1731.3 GB

I would get rid of Java, Turn off HD processing in Preferences > General.
I do not know what anti-virus program you are using, but check to see if Powerdirector is allowed with no restrictions.

Malware scanners can interfere with PowerDirector operations.

Thank you for the reply. I see, so how can I make it where it runs off of my D drive instead of C? I guess I should say, how can I make my default drive D instead of C?

Let's just say I get that done, and I still wouldn't have a fix. I read that the GTX 700 series graphics cards don't work too well with PD12. Would my 640 GTX still be too high?
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Nexumen7

I use a 660Ti card; no problems at all. Your 640 should work OK

EDIT

Also update to latest quicktime

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2014 01:35

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Nexumen7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Nexumen7

I use a 660Ti card; no problems at all. Your 640 should work OK

EDIT

Also update to latest quicktime

Alright thank you. So I did some digging about the memory issue. I don't know why the CPU was set up that way, but to run off my 'D' drive, I would have to install my OS into D, and everything else too right? What would I need to do to tell my computer, "Hey, we're using D now, so let's start saving and running things on D drive from now on"?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Nexumen7,

If you get or have disk imaging software, you can re-partition your hard drive to expand the C partition.

Check out Acronis True Image.

You can image the whole drive, then re-partition to have a larger C, then restore the images.

You would have a larger C and a little bit smaller D.

No need to try to install Windows on D.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Nexumen7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update.

I partitioned my C drive to have full memory of 1.72 TB and nothing has changed.
Videos are still jerky and only in PD12. I don't know what else to do. Would going to PD11 do anything? I'm just confused as why PD9 on my 500gb, 4GB RAM laptop works wonderfully while the Desktop is having a hard time. If anything I think it's windows 8. Any other possible tips? Thank you.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Make sure that you have selected to use your video card for the encoding (rendering) The program may have selected the video chip on the I7, Switch it from one to the other. (Use the NVidia control panel for the changes).

If that doesn't work, try turning off hardware rendering. Does the stuttering get better or worse? (Use the program for this).

The rendering may be a bit slower but many people believe that the rendered video is "better"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2014 10:54

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Nexumen7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I appreciate all the answers. I've done everything everyone suggested. Nothing has changed. It's either windows 8 or the program because videos are smooth on Everyevery other program. I'm just going to get my money back and try PD11. I've also downloaded patches as well in case anyone was going to point out. If that fails, I'll have to try Vegas.

Using my phone for this post, so I don't have access to my desktop.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
OK, good luck

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2014 07:40

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
... many people believe that the rendered video is "better"...

Hey Steve, not trying to pick at anything, but there is evidence that CPU rendering does in fact look better than GPU rendered video (although it has improved over the past 5 years or so). GPU rendering take 'mathematical liberties' and shortcuts to it's rendering (part of the reason it is so much faster (that and having dedicated 'simple' cores do the work)). You can even do a quick test with a short clip of video (more evident in a high-motion sample, even more evident with text on the screen): render using the CPU and the GPU and take a frame from each and look at it zoomed in. You should see compression artifacts in the GPU rendered output that you won't see in the CPU render (Gibbs Effects/Ringing, Macroblocks, Aliasing, etc).

Nexumen7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've found the issue.

Hauppage PVR 2 Geming Edition has an output of three (3) selections: M2TS, TS, and MP4.

My output was set to MP4.

I've tried M2TS and TS, and both came out perfect. Though M2TS has a slight better quality than TS, no jitters or choppiness. This is the solution. If anyone has the Hauppauge PVR 2 Game Edition, output must be other than MP4 for non-choppy video.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I've found the issue.

Hauppage PVR 2 Geming Edition has an output of three (3) selections: M2TS, TS, and MP4.

My output was set to MP4.

I've tried M2TS and TS, and both came out perfect. Though M2TS has a slight better quality than TS, no jitters or choppiness. This is the solution. If anyone has the Hauppauge PVR 2 Game Edition, output must be other than MP4 for non-choppy video.

Yes, the MP4 output is funky.

If you had told us that was the format you were using, I could have told you MP4 from the Hauppage PVR is funky.
I have one, mine is an older version, but the MP4 output does strange things. I use the .TS for most of my captures. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.