Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[Solved] Unable to install PowerDirector 12
NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2014 23:45 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
About a week ago, I downloaded the PD12 trial to test the software and it was working well.
I unfortunately had to re-install my OS because of a fanatic graphics driver (Thanks AMD...).
Since then, I have tried to re-install PD12 to complete my trial but I can't even install it.

This error pops up:
http://i.imgur.com/OtXDVVS.jpg

As you can see, I already have Windows Media Player installed:
http://i.imgur.com/CxS1nU7.jpg

I'm not quite sure why this is happening because as I said, It was working on my previous OS.

These images show that I have another partition for programs. Windows media player is still on the C: drive.

Anyone else run into this weird issue?
I really do hope someone has a fix for this because I was going to purchase this software when my trial was over but if this is going to be a thorn in my side, It will definitely throw me off.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2014 13:35

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
NateVonGrimm

Try running a cleaner software like CCleaner >> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner.
Reboot and try installation again. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: NateVonGrimm

Try running a cleaner software like CCleaner >> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner.
Reboot and try installation again.

I ran CCleaner. I did a Windows/Application clean + a registry clean.
Rebooted and it's still the same.
NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bump
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16457&prodId=4&prodVerId=1052
NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16457&prodId=4&prodVerId=1052

Didn't help. Still getting the same error.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
To be clear, is PD installed on the C: drive, along with WMP? It should be.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
When you downloaded and ran the tool that borgus1 one mentioned, did you also do the manual steps at the bottom of the page?

That section starts with "If above steps still cannot solve your issue, continue with the following troubleshooting steps:"

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: To be clear, is PD installed on the C: drive, along with WMP? It should be.

PD isn't installed. That's the issue I am having. It will not install.
It goes through the unpacking stage, After that, I get the error.
NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: When you downloaded and ran the tool that borgus1 one mentioned, did you also do the manual steps at the bottom of the page?

That section starts with "If above steps still cannot solve your issue, continue with the following troubleshooting steps:"

I cannot go through those steps because PD isn't installed.
I am unable to install PD because of the error I am having.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: When you downloaded and ran the tool that borgus1 one mentioned, did you also do the manual steps at the bottom of the page?

You can still go through the steps, but you wouldn't be able to complete some of them. For example, if there is no folder called "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\" then you can't delete it. Is that what you mean? EDIT: Did you download and run the tool?

We are all PD users and volunteers on the forum, and we don't have any extra access to technical support. Have you contacted Cyberlink tech support about this issue? Even though it is a trial version they may have a solution.

One more thing to try: You said that you had to reinstall the OS. Have you installed all the service packs and security patches as well? Try running sfc /scannow from a command prompt and see if it finds any problems with your system files.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2014 22:02

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

You can still go through the steps, but you wouldn't be able to complete some of them. For example, if there is no folder called "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\" then you can't delete it. Is that what you mean? EDIT: Did you download and run the tool?

We are all PD users and volunteers on the forum, and we don't have any extra access to technical support. Have you contacted Cyberlink tech support about this issue? Even though it is a trial version they may have a solution.

One more thing to try: You said that you had to reinstall the OS. Have you installed all the service packs and security patches as well? Try running sfc /scannow from a command prompt and see if it finds any problems with your system files.

That is correct. The installation doesn't start. It unpacks the installation, asks me to select a language, prepares the installation, then throws the "need to install Windows Media player" error. I did download and run the tool.

I haven't contacted support yet. I usually leave support as the last thing to do if an answer is not found in the forums.

All updates have been installed. Running Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 x64.

I ran that command line and it found nothing. Everything is a-okay.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 03. 2014 00:06

NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does anyone know what component PD12 is looking for?

If I know what PD12 wants from WMP, I should hopefully be able to fix this problem.
optodata
[Post New]
Nate, Cyberlink tech support is your best bet at this point.

YouTube/optodata

NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Nate, Cyberlink tech support is your best bet at this point.

I have already sent them a message and I am waiting for a response.
I'll post on this thread when I get an answer.
NateVonGrimm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey.

I have fixed the issue and it was a fault caused by me.

Because I had created a second partition for all my programs and changed the default Program Files location (D:), The PD installation was looking for WMP in the D: drive but WMP was only installed on the C: drive.

I fixed this by simply copying both the 32x and 64x versions of WMP and pasting into the new Program Files location.
The installation is now working like normal.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 04. 2014 20:58

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Nate:

I am glad that you solved your problem. It would be great if you would edit your Subject line by appending: "Solved" so that others who might have the same issue can find your solution.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor