Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jitter introduced during capture
JSC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 20, 2012 09:22 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
I am capturing from 8mm video using the original camera to PD12 via Hauppage USB-Live 2 Analog Video Digitizer. Everything works fine except when there was any moderate jostling of the camera during the taping. While the image is fine on the camera's display, it is captured with lots of jitter, i.e. you see wide black bands that flash and wiggle while the picture bends and jumps. When this gets bad enough, PD aborts the capture.

Does anyone have a solution that captures without this jitter?

Thank you,

Jim PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Is your computer (which looks good) up to date?

Do you have that capture device plugged into a USB port on the back of your computer (no hubs or front USB ports?

Make sure you have your antivirus turned off during capture. Are you capturing to your system drive?

Where do you see the artifacts - during capture preview or doing editing or just adding it to the timeline? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
stevek,

If by up-to-date you mean with Windows updates, then yes.

The capture device was plugged directly into a front USB port. I've never heard there was a difference (between using front and back), however I switched to a back port and the issue persists.

AV off. System drive? Capturing to a folder on my C: drive.

I see the artifacts all the way through the process: during capture in the preview window, again during editing, and on the final DVD.

Jim PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
By system being updated you should make sure the drivers for your graphic car etc are up to date through the GPU website NOT windows update as sometimes windows isn't that up to date. Just don't get eta drivers...get Whql drivers.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim,

Just downloaded and installed latest driver for AMD Radeon HD 7700 series. The problem persists.

Upon conversion from analog, the digital version can't seem to handle the video image created by the movement of the camera (Sony CCD-TRV41 NTSC from 1996). Anyone come across this before?

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Jim,

Just downloaded and installed latest driver for AMD Radeon HD 7700 series. The problem persists.

Upon conversion from analog, the digital version can't seem to handle the video image created by the movement of the camera (Sony CCD-TRV41 NTSC from 1996). Anyone come across this before?

Jim

I had a similar camcorder from Sony but I don't remember the exact model number. I copies dozens of tapes and ran into that problem on occasion with "bad" or "degraded tapes. I remember one video with me walking on a hill outside of San Fran with the wind blown tree. I could never clean that up. Do you have the problem throughout the video? Are you trying to capture the entire tape at once? Does the capture start off OK and then get progressively worse? I remember that I had to capture in 15 minute segments or I would lose enough frames to get an audio/video sync problem.

Just to make sure when you watch the video on the camera, do you see any artifacts? If the tapes are pretty old, they may be nearing their useful lifetime. You may want to consider a cleaner for the tape drive in the camcorder and make sure that the tracking is adjusted properly.

Did you see if the capture device has newer drivers? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
JSC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim,

I just downloaded and installed the latest Hauppauge USB-Live2 driver, and still no difference.

This has occurred on all my tapes recorded from 1996 to 2007. There's no difference between the beginnings and the ends of the tapes. Capturing in long or short amounts makes no difference; usually PD aborts the capture when the jitter gets too bad, with an error message something like "Copy-protected tape; cannot capture."

There are no artifacts on the camera's screen.

stevek
[Post New]
"Copy-protected tape; cannot capture."

Usually that means that the signal going to your computer is of poor quality. Make sure all your wires are good quality and the ports are tight.

Have you cleaned the camcorder's heads? You should be able to get a cleaner tape. Examples only:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=8+mm+tape+cleaner&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=34601303688&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15083404443113453716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6lsdwd9azu_b

Do you have access to a digital camcorder that has a pass through function? You use it instead of the USB device. Connect the old analog camcorder to the digital camcorder and it will convert the analog signal to digital signal. It may work better than the A/D converter you have.

Let us know if any of that works. .