Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What output setting to use when saving as file
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2008 07:03 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I am using the trial version of Power director 7 and I am trying to make a high quality DVD for my friends. I used 2 cameras to film my scenes, a flip camera, and a digital Olympus camera. Both cameras have there files as .AVI when I load them into the computer. I was wondering what the best output file type is, when producing my scenes to a file for the highest quality DVD. In other words when I click produce my file, and I am on step 2 should I choose, .AVI, .MPEG1, .MPEG2, DivX, Portable.MPEG4 or AVC.MPEG4. And what setting should I use for that choice (ex. PAL or NTSC, DV-AVI or windows AVI)

The reason why I want to save my stuff as a file first is because I have so many files to edit, I am editing 40 at a time instead of all 200, and then saving a group of 40 clips as one scene before finally putting them together and writing them to a disk.

John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please help me guys, I am going to send my video out to a large crowd and I would really like for it to be high quality. I have a really powerful computer so I am looking for the best settings, regardless of how much time it takes to produce the clip and the memory it eats up. Thanks in advance!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2008 01:22

CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John,

The Produce function you select depends on the final output that you want. Since you said you want to burn the content to a DVD (I am assuming you want to play it in a DVD player), you should then produce it as an MPEG-2, which is the format of video on most factory DVDs.

What you select between NTSC and Pal depends on where your final disc will be played. Just select the country from the drop down list.

From the quality drop down, select DVD-HQ. This is probably what you need.

You should try and produce one of your clips first with these settngs, and if the quality is not good enough for you, select a different quality from the drop down as required.

Hope this helps

David
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response, I just finished producing everything as a .AVI file before I got your response. will the quality of a file produced by a .mpeg2 be better? do you think I should go back and reproduce everything? By the way, as far as the PAL or NTSC issue, I am going to send the majority of the DVD's to the United States, and a few to Fiji, if that helps.
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John,

As I said...MPEG-2 is the video format for DVDs. However if you are happy with the current output, and it plays well on a TV, then I wouldn't change now.

Looking at the drop down, it says that the USA is NTSC and Fiji is PAL.

David
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
thank you very much
Angel [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Spain Joined: Jun 19, 2008 14:00 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
As a complemet to CLD comments, a divx/mpeg4 coded file in AVI will play in most of actual DVD players.

Quality will be quite similar to MPEG2, but output size will be smaller.

However, you will loose the Menus capabilities you have in DVD-Video mpeg2 format.

Best Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2008 04:44