Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Chroma Key - Change Subject to Black and White Keeping Colour Background?
[Post New]
Hello Awesome Forum!

So my idea is to use chroma key for backgrounds with me as the subject. Once the greenscreening is done and I am successfully on top of the colour background, can I change myself to black and white while keeping the background in colour?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

With respect,

Nitai
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Awesome Forum!

So my idea is to use chroma key for backgrounds with me as the subject. Once the greenscreening is done and I am successfully on top of the colour background, can I change myself to black and white while keeping the background in colour?

With respect,

Nitai

You should be able to apply a Black and White effect to the video of you, that would not effect the green screen (Chroma Key) effect.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Thank you. I'm hoping so, but I'm not sure how to isolate me from the green screen to do that... Any ideas?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you have never done green-screen, I suggest you look it up on Youtube or Vimeo and get some valuable pointers.
Do NOT wear anything green
Do not have wrinkles in your screen
Even lighting.
No wrinkles.
Even lighting.
No wrinkles.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 28. 2014 18:13

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Thanks, Barry.

Yes, I understand about green screen, I know how to do it, that is not the issue. What I am wondering is:

I am the subject in front of greenscreen and will transfer myself onto a colourful motion background... I know how to do that, no problem. BUT:

- Once the two are merged can I make the subject (me) black and white while the background remains in colour?

OR

- In the original green screen video is there a way to separate me from the green screen so that I can change myself to black and white while keeping the green green.

I hope I'm explaining this easily...

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Ahhh, I see the conflicting needs.
My testing tells me "NO", you cannot do that within PowerDirector.
You would need to implement ColorDirector with a mask. I'm not sure how well the chroma-key edges would hold up using a motion mask. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Yes, I tried that. The edges are, well, there is a whitish outline, not too bad, but not desirable. The other way I found to do it was by taking out all saturation except for the green channel. I just have to make sure I'm not wearing green and hopefully the camera won't pick up my eyes either, haha. Thanks!
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, I tried that. The edges are, well, there is a whitish outline, not too bad, but not desirable. The other way I found to do it was by taking out all saturation except for the green channel. I just have to make sure I'm not wearing green and hopefully the camera won't pick up my eyes either, haha. Thanks!

Tested here and not found a way to do what you want in PD12.
A note: PD makes Chroma Key with any color, need not be blue or green, whatever color you select will be removed.
knowing which is the background color used, so do not use this for the object in the foreground, I am no expert just my opinion. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Awesome Forum!

With respect,

Nitai

As I said it can be done.

This is done with a combination of techniques.
First is the Chroma Key, Then you do a Fix/Modify > Color Adjustment and reduce the Color Saturatiion to 11.

Using the Black & White effect does kill the Chroma key.

Red Color Board is on Track 1
Chroma Key video is on Track 2 (Chroma Key for the green screen, fix/enhance to reduce the color Saturation)
The unmodified Video is on Track 3.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2014 15:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
You are awesome! That looks great! Thanks for testing that for me, superstar!

One question though, I don't understand the difference between what you call 'chroma key video' and 'unmodified video'. In my understanding the original video with green screen goes on track two, and the colour background goes on track one, so what's that on track three now? Please advise.

Thanks again, and God bless you!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: You are awesome! That looks great! Thanks for testing that for me, superstar!

One question though, I don't understand the difference between what you call 'chroma key video' and 'unmodified video'. In my understanding the original video with green screen goes on track two, and the colour background goes on track one, so what's that on track three now? Please advise.

Thanks again, and God bless you!

I put the unmodified (Straight from the camera) Green screen Video without any changes as the last couple of seconds to show that it was shot in full color on a green screen.

I just stuck it on Track 3 and did a fade from the modified video to the unmodified video.

The video on Track 2 is the Chroma keyed video that makes the green screen transparent, I also reduced color saturation to 11 to make the person (me) almost black & white. Track 1 is just a Red Color Board.

I did learn that you cannot bring the color saturation all the way to zero, it kills the Green screen effect, everything goes Black and White.

Attached is a screen shot of the timeline.

[Thumb - Chromakey timeline.PNG]
 Filename
Chromakey timeline.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
The timeline shows how I did it
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
64 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2014 20:54

[Post New]
Oh, I understand what you're saying, thank you.