Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem saving
Cylindrically [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2014 19:45 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Yesterday I spent many, many hours editing a load of videos that are intended to be worked into a final video that they will be parts of. I saved each one of those as "Save Project As" 01.pds, 02.pds, 03 etc through 22. Then this morning when I was ready to begin working on adding those to the larger video, none of them could be opened. Power Director does not recognize the file type. How can that be that the program does not recognize its own file type?

The pop-up says "An error occurred opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, or an unsupported format or for another reason ... " I then noticed that the file sizes didn't make any sense, as they were all like around 100kb to 180kb.

I need help badly. What did I do wrong, and is all of that work lost, and what then is the correct saving procedure?

Thanks in advance.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Most likely because you selected "Import media" changed the file type to all files and then imported your pds file? The PD pds file is just a set of instructions on how to modify your video in the timeline, not the actual video. Go to file menu, then open project to read in your file 01.pds.

Jeff
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

So let me explain how I tried to open them this AM. Something you wrote may be a lead. But I didn't do import. I went to File>Open Project. That brought up directory. I went to Videos Library (Win7 OS), where I expected the files to be. They weren't there, so I searched and found the folder that I assume PD12 created when installed -- Not where I would have ever expected. When I opened the folder, it was empty. So then I went down to the bottom of the directory window and selected All Files. Now, the files appeared. So now I went back to the program and attempted to open the files just as I stated at the beginning - File>Open Project. And that's where I am getting that error message.

So the part that rings a bell is what you said here, "changed the file type to all files and then imported your pds file". I'm not sure I'm understanding how to get around this, because if I DON'T select "All Files" the pds files (with the PD icon) don't show in the folder. It sounds like those icons in that folder are just shortcuts?? If so, then where is the actual video data so that I can get the videos I worked on into the program?

Hope I'm not sounding too stupid here.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Try again. File > Open Project won't let you select anything other than a .pds or .pdsm file so I don't think you did that, hard to guess your actions. The default location if you have not changed it is C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\12.0\

So go to File > Open Project and migrate to that location and see if your pds files are there. If not, use the windows explorer window to search your computer for your saved file name 01.pds and see what you find.

Jeff
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff,

I was just looking into this whole file location thing. Oh, by the way, I never changed any of that. Anyway, where PD, by default put the files I saved was C\Users\Public\Public Videos\CinemaNow. I looked at Settings in the PD12 program and saw under files that the Import folder was showing it a little bit differently C:\Users\Public\Videos\CinemaNow\. But now this is interesting. The Export Folder is showing as the one you cited here in your reply.

As to the Import folder, note the difference between what it showed in the PD settings, and where they actually ended up. So I tried to re-arrange the folders according to the way the program settings show it; but it still did not work. Same error message.

So now I'm wondering if I should move all of the files to the folder you cited; because PD DID create that folder on install; then I would have to change the Import Folder directory in the PD settings to match. But before I do that, do you think that would resolve the problem, AND can you take a look and verify that BOTH the Import and Export folders are the same in your settings as the one you cited?

If this is what's going on, the PD people may have to take a look at their install package and make sure everything is jiving.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't use any of the default locations for pds files. The Import and Export paths will change locations depending on operations you have done. They also are not saved in the pds project so you always have to know where you are putting your files. On "Save Project" you can migrate to any location you desire and save pds file, basic Windows stuff.

Jeff
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I tried what I wrote in the previous post with just one file. And it did not work. then I closed the PD program and just clicked on one of those files in the folder they are in. It opened PD 12 and opened the file just as I had edited it. So the files open that way. Now how can I add them to a video I am working on when (obviously) the program is already open?
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Did you check the file extension. Does it show <filename>.pds. If no then try renaming with .pds extension and try PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
They definitely are .pds and in icon view in the folder they show the PD icon.
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yeah, I tried what I wrote in the previous post with just one file. And it did not work. then I closed the PD program and just clicked on one of those files in the folder they are in. It opened PD 12 and opened the file just as I had edited it. So the files open that way. Now how can I add them to a video I am working on when (obviously) the program is already open?

Hi Cylindrically
Just a thought ... I sure you mean that you wish to open one project inside a new project (import one project into another project ).
If that is the case, then you can't import projects into existing projects, PD12 is the wrong software for that!

What you can do is save a high quality video file from each of your projects onto your hard drive making sure that the file is the correct format for your use. Then import all of these videos into your final project. You will loose the ability to edit the individual clips, that shouldn't pose too much of a problem as you still have the original media. However when you create a "new project" within an "existing" project, you are given the option to keep the media library you already have on your screen. Select that option and that will save you "fetching" the media again.

Editing Tip .... When you start editing remember to save the different versions of you final (any) project after you've made changes, stopped to answer the phone, made a cup of coffee, loo break ( Final Project.1 Final Project.2 etc.,). That way you, if you make a change you're not happy with, you can always go back to an earlier version. Believe you me , it saves a lot of hair pulling ... I don't have much left now so I would like to keep it a bit longer !!

Editing Tip ... Never just rely on the auto save function on your software, I've witnessed someone losing a full days work on a final edit for broadcast that way.... this time , it wasn't me!!

Cheers
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Now how can I add them to a video I am working on when (obviously) the program is already open?

Hi Cylindrically
I sure you mean that you wish to open one project inside a new project (import one project into another project.
If that is the case, then you can't import projects into existing projects, PD12 is the wrong software for that!

Fine suggestions in this thread. But check out FILE|INSERT PROJECT, which seems here to do just that in PD11, and likely 12 as well.

Following the tips described in these tutorials can save lots of hair pulling...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2014 10:55

Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kyle and Borgus,

Thank you both for excellent tips. I had no idea that you couldn't add one project to another. I began with 22 smaller .mov videos shot with an iPad. So my plan was to edit each of those first and then add them to the final project. I noticed when saving the first one that the only save options seemed to be as project files. You aren't really given the choice of file type. At any rate, being a Newbie, I didn't realize the implications of that. I wonder why they don't allow the option of selecting file type to save as for the purpose of editing raw footage, in my case, saving the edits to my raw .mov files and overwriting the originals.

After seeing your replies here, I quickly tried Insert Project before I looked at the videos Borgus linked to. It seems to work, so maybe all of that work on those 22 is not lost after all.

I assure you I am going to take both of your suggestions to heart to save myself the experience of the headaches of losing work.

Thanks again.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
You may be confusing SAVING a project, which is a PDS file, with PRODUCING...

Saving stores the source files and timeline layout.

Producing exports the project to one of many formats that are playable on various media devices.

You may want to produce the videos as separate .mov files (or other types) and then add them to the timeline individually - to be used in the final production.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2014 15:54

Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I did a project at the end of last year from clips I has shot over the year. What I did was make a folder and name it what my Title name was going to be. Then inside that folder I made subfolders like Zoo, Red Bull Moto GP and so on. Then I copy and the clip I thought I might use part of in to the subfolder that correspond to where they was shot. I then edited the one project over a weeks time. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Michael. I appreciate your tips. Everyone's discoveries are certainly useful for me to consider as the approach I should adapt.