Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does My Computer Have the Right Requirements for PD12?
[Post New]
Hello,

I want to purchase PD12 DIRECTOR'S SUITE, however, I have noticed many people have issues with lag and glitchyness, which the moderators say may be remedied by analysis of system and/or upgrades.

My computer savvy is limited to graphics / video programs, not actual hardware specs, etc. (as an artist). I do not have the time to deal with glitches, etc. post purchase. If I can deal with issues now to relieve anticipated frustration, that would be nice.

Can you please, dear moderator, tell me if I have the right system requirements? Attached is a picture of what I think you need to see. When I look at the page where you list the specs for me to analyse myself, it's all in a different language to me, I have no clue. If there's more information you need to know, please tell me where I can find it and I'll be happy to send what you need, and happy for your support.

I've heard updating drivers can cause issues, is this recommended? Which drivers and how? If not necessary, rather avoid.

Also, my camera is a Canon SX280HS, which is not listed on your specs page. I had downloaded a trial version last year prior to getting this camera, and I really don't want to go through that again, so if you have knowledge on that score, I'd be grateful.

With respect,

Nitai
[Thumb - zzz.jpg]
 Filename
zzz.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
91 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2014 00:58

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nitai

Welcome to the forum

At a quick glance at your specs the short answer is no.

Why not download the free trial and test it out for yourself?

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/director-suite/download_en_AU.html

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
You'll need more RAM and a better processor. You're running a 64bit version of Win7 with 4Gb RAM, Windows alone is using it all up leaving you with very little space for editing. At least 8Gb if not more.

Your processor is also a bit under powered. You should be looking at something equivalent (AMD or Intel) to at least a 4 core i5 @ 2.6Ghz.

Video editing is memory and cpu intensive.
[Post New]
Thank you kindly for your replies!

I spoke to a computer tech shop and told them the information you gave me, very helpful!

I will purchase the extra RAM required, I'm glad that's fixable.

In regards to my processor, he said it might make the video editing process slow, but it won't cause glitchy-ness or freezing, which is all I care about. If it takes 10 seconds to import a clip instead of 2 seconds, so be it, if it means it's not imperative for me to purchase a new lap top when this one is fairly new as it is.

Thanks again!
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
also which isn't showing on the image is the hard drive size, PD requires a lot of free space on the hard drive for caching when it produces videos, minimum of 60-100 MB! depending on the size and effects etc added to you videos.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Thank you, Jim,

Yes, I have 161 GB of free hard drive space, thankfully! Thanks for that!

Nitai